AI HB F-14A/B refusing to fire AIM-54's

Realizm

1 час назад, Realizm сказал:

Hello,

It seems since the last patch the HB F-14's won't fire AIM-54's no matter if those are the only missiles on the plane, if you force them to use it (Intercept w/ LR AAM), no ECM on the enemy aircraft, etc. Attached is a track I was using for testing. 

Anyone else seeing the same thing? 

F-14 refusing to use AIM-54.miz 9 \u041a\u0431 · 3 скачивания

This post and further down. No comments from Heatblur so far though. And yes, I have seen that as well.

Edited by WarbossPetross

This basically also renders all of my Backfire V CVBG missions useless as the AI will try and close to sparrow range, but burn all their fuel before they get there and eject. This is despite having limit afterburner use selected, boy is the AI in DCS some of the worst and most game ruining out there. 

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

12 hours ago, Gunslinger22 said:

This basically also renders all of my Backfire V CVBG missions useless as the AI will try and close to sparrow range, but burn all their fuel before they get there and eject. This is despite having limit afterburner use selected, boy is the AI in DCS some of the worst and most game ruining out there. 

This almost certainly isn't a general AI decision making issue. The AI *will* use the AIM-54, but only inside of 8NM, which also coincidentally happens to be the seeker range of all ARH missiles by default in DCS. If I had to guess there's some sort of issue with how the missile or AI Radar sensor are configured, and how the AI interpret that. 

In any case, HB are aware of it.

It is one of the issues on the AI overhaul list, albeit this one I think is something to be fixed on ED side, not ours. Thank you for the report.

Edited by IronMike
  • Like 1

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

14 hours ago, IronMike said:

It is one of the issues on the AI overhaul list, albeit this one I think is something to be fixed on ED side, not ours. Thank you for the report.

Thanks, I figured it would get fixed in a patch or two. Until then AIM-54s are temporarily grounded. 

• 2 weeks later...

Is this issue finally fixed in the last patch?. 

I would say it's not, as I still see my wingman refusing to launch his 54's at long distance (he's asked to attack targets!) and entering a dogfight with all AIM54 missiles attached. 

Cheers, 

Edited by JACN

16 hours ago, JACN said:

Is this issue finally fixed in the last patch?. 

I would say it's not, as I still see my wingman refusing to launch his 54's at long distance (he's asked to attack targets!) and entering a dogfight with all AIM54 missiles attached. 

Cheers, 

It's fixed, you just need to edit the missions in which you use them and set their missile engagement range to something else then threat assessed. Set them to either max range or halfway between max range and NEZ. It works great and the AI will engage. Now hitting anything is another matter, but that's a different topic. 

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Good to know, thanks. I'm using them in a f-14A default missions (don't recall the mission name). 

But, does it mean all missions have to be edited?. What about campaigns?. I would expect the AI using them in a smart way, by default, instead of than having to "script" the use. 

Hi,

The mission is "HB F14A Kish Kat Attack" and the missile engagement range is set to random between max range and NEZ.

I think AI should be launching missiles "randomly" between both zones. Well, it is not happening and AI is using them as AIM-9 (when not being shot down well before reaching such close range)...so, the AI AIM54 employment is broken, specially if you have to force the use instead of AI using them in a more random/clever way, by default.

Try with max range or halfway between max and NEZ. When i do that in my test missions, the AI always engages long before the other side engages with AMRAAMs i.e. 
BTW, are you referring to the wingmen or other F-14 flights?

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

I have verified it only with wingmen, but I suspect it's happening also with other F-14 flights as I don't see a single AIM-54 being shot.

As I said, if missions and campaigns need to be edited for a correct AIM54 use (by forcing a "canned" use)...something is not correct with the default AIM54 AI management.

8 hours ago, JACN said:

I have verified it only with wingmen, but I suspect it's happening also with other F-14 flights as I don't see a single AIM-54 being shot.

As I said, if missions and campaigns need to be edited for a correct AIM54 use (by forcing a "canned" use)...something is not correct with the default AIM54 AI management.

AI_SHOOT1.acmiAI_SHOOT2.acmiAI_SHOOT3.acmi

Simple set up, three AI F-14Bs with Task set to CAP, one set to the default random setting, one to max launch range, one to half way between max and no escape. In all three tests, all three F-14s engaged with AIM-54s. In the final test. I hopped in as a player and gave my wingman (again, using the default random setting) orders to engage bandits, and he engaged.