Problems with the TM MFD Cougers

I have had my MFDs for several years, however in the last few weeks, several of the buttons no longer work.  They seem to work in the Controls screen in the game, but in the actual game, the press does nothing.  If I switch the command to another MFD it works in the game.  So the issue seems to be with the MFDs and not DCS.  I have switched USB  ports ( all MFDs are plugged into a powered Hub), but this did not solve the problem.  Has anyone run into this problem? 

I am thinking of just replacing them, but Amazon is out of stock and I am not sure about some of the other retailers. 

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

22 minutes ago, sobe said:

I have had my MFDs for several years, however in the last few weeks, several of the buttons no longer work.  They seem to work in the Controls screen in the game, but in the actual game, the press does nothing.  If I switch the command to another MFD it works in the game.  So the issue seems to be with the MFDs and not DCS.  I have switched USB  ports ( all MFDs are plugged into a powered Hub), but this did not solve the problem.  Has anyone run into this problem? 

I am thinking of just replacing them, but Amazon is out of stock and I am not sure about some of the other retailers. 

Some times DCS has a hard time understanding which MFD is which. Or maybe you change the ID via TARGET, and the default MFD 1 and MFD 2 assignments got updated and overrode your settings.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

I do not use Target.  I will double check the assignments but the last time I looked, the MFDs and DCS were on the same page. 

Just checked and all MFDs in the joystick setting numbers and in DCS are the same.  I still think it has something to do with the electronics in the MFDs and not being happy with my USB ports. 

Edited by sobe

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

5 hours ago, sobe said:

I do not use Target.  I will double check the assignments but the last time I looked, the MFDs and DCS were on the same page. 

Just checked and all MFDs in the joystick setting numbers and in DCS are the same.  I still think it has something to do with the electronics in the MFDs and not being happy with my USB ports. 

You have to install the drivers for the cougar MFD's and make sure the left is "1" and the right is "2".     https://ts.thrustmaster.com/download/accessories/pc/unified_drivers/2018_FFD_2.exe

When the drivers are installed, and you open the mfd's in USB game controller settings in windows it should look like this.  I've highlighted the area where to set them.  This doesn't require target.  Just the drivers from thrustmaster.    To get there type "USB Game Controllers" without quotes in Cortana, it should bring up the appropriate app and your devices should be listed there.    When set correctly it should list them as two separate devices "F16 MFD 1" and "F16 MFD 2"   Make sure they aren't both set to the same thing.  

image.png

If you've done this, then be worried, if you haven't, then this is likely your issue.  

You say you've had them several years.  So maybe a button's wearing out.   I hope not.   Spray some compressed air in there maybe.  

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

On 1/9/2022 at 7:35 PM, sobe said:

They seem to work in the Controls screen in the game, but in the actual game, the press does nothing.

I’ve seen this strange behavior and it had to do with how long the “press” was happening.

Back then I was using Target, the default pulse of a button press was too short to register some actions in the F/A-18 as example. It would register in the setup menu but not while flying. I had to specifically extend the time of the pulse or change it to a “press”.

In your case it might be that your buttons have deteriorated to a point where there is no constant contact while you press your button. If it just gives a short pulse or flickers, it might well be that you see this register in the setup menu, but in game it would not do anything.

Check with a joystick tester if your button presses are constant or if it is just a pulse or flickers.

PC Specs: Win10, 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5CL30@6000Mhz, ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X, 2x Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, LG OLED42C2, Pico 4
Flight Sim Gear: VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip with WarBRD Base and 6cm extension, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC SharKa-50 Collective Grip with Rotor TCS Plus Base, BRD-F1 Rudders(Su-35), 3x8"LCD 1024x768 with TM-MFDs, DIY dashboard with 60 buttons and 8 axis MMJOY2, POV-HAT(no TrackIR)
Aircraft: F/A-18C, F-16C, F-14, F-5E, Mig-21bis, Mig-15bis, AH-64D, Mi-24P, Mi-8MTV2, Black Shark 2 & 3, Uh-1H, FC3, SpitfireLFMkIX, P-51D, I-16, Mosquito FB VI, Bf109K-4
Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria, Channel, Sinai

Tech: WWII Assets Pack, Supercarrier

Snaproll

I have 2 sets of MFDs for a total of 4.  One set is old and one set is reasonably new, but I cannot tell which is which.  Two mfds work fine and two mfds are giving me trouble.  However, all 4 register very nicely in the windows/tm gaming controller app.   So you may be on to something.  I was thinking of getting another pair as I use them like a button box many times.  However, the price has gone up and the supply is very scarce.  Without the use of target or something similar, I do not think there is any way I can lengthen the key press time.  For the time being, I am using Voice Attack a lot to initiate commands to just avoid this issue.