Tanker Director Lights Too Dim in VR

Nuggetz

I fly the F16 in VR almost exclusively, this aircraft has a reputation for not being the easiest aircraft to air refuel. The Tanker director lights are too dim especially in VR and especially the right hand light (forward & backwards) light. 

Is there any chance these lights could be boosted in brightness at least for VR users where the graphics are of a lesser quality when compared to 2D?

Many thanks in advance N

• Like 1

Ryzen 5950X, MSI  RTX 3080TI, 1 TB SSD, 64GB 3600 MHZ DDR4 RAM, Pimax Crystal and 8KX KDMAS. WINWING F16EX Throttle: FSSB-R3-MKII ULTRA Base/TMWH Joystick: DCS: F16C

At first AAR atempts with the Viper i have the same issue but now i´m used to the PDL lights of the KC-135 and i think that they are good as it is. I have no problems spoting the lights.

Try to mess with your gamma setting it might help.

I hope ED don´t touch them and make it a giant light bloom like the Meatball of the Supercarrier.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

Thank you for your replies. 

To be clear (no pun intended) if I set up a air refuel mission with appropriate weather at either dawn or dusk it helps to see the lights and hence I have been able to complete 20+ complete refuels hence for me this is less about the skill required. 

However, when I am in MP you do not have the option to control weather or time of day which can make it impossible to see the right light in particular. If the right hand light were at least as easy to see as the left hand, albeit brighter in relative terms, then there would be less of an issue. 

I don’t think it an unreasonable request to have the option to boost the light brightness perhaps a tick box for VR users? That way if you don’t want or need the option you can leave it off. 

Edited by Nuggetz

Ryzen 5950X, MSI  RTX 3080TI, 1 TB SSD, 64GB 3600 MHZ DDR4 RAM, Pimax Crystal and 8KX KDMAS. WINWING F16EX Throttle: FSSB-R3-MKII ULTRA Base/TMWH Joystick: DCS: F16C

To be fair, this is a complaint real fighter pilots have, too. The lights are there for night/bad weather ops. Pilots use the "sight picture" of the tanker to know where they are relative to it.

Although I should probably mention that I personally use the PDL lights, too

Все буде добре

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip, but anisotropic filter  is already turned up. 

I think the key issue here from the responses received is people are conflating real life visual acuity with that generated by a GPU especially within VR. Best will in the world there is no comparison even with the finest PC and VR equipment especially in brighter conditions where contrast is not obvious. Hence my suggestion with the aim of closing the gap between graphics and real life visuals. 

That said you I am now at 100+ refuels so maybe I am adapting. 

Thanks again 👍

Ideally, there should be voice prompts to accompany the lights, such as "go left, go right, up, down, etc..."

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - Intel I7 4790K - Artic cooling freezer 7 pro rev 2 - GSKILL 32 Go - SSD Crucial M5 120 go - SSD Crucial 2To - HDD western digital caviar blue 1 TO - Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming G1 - Windows 10 home 64 bits

19 minutes ago, clanitho said:

Ideally, there should be voice prompts to accompany the lights, such as "go left, go right, up, down, etc..."

who's going to do that? the boom operator? it's a simple passive system, lets keep it simple.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2022 at 7:28 PM, Nuggetz said:

Thanks for the tip, but anisotropic filter  is already turned up. 

I think the key issue here from the responses received is people are conflating real life visual acuity with that generated by a GPU especially within VR. Best will in the world there is no comparison even with the finest PC and VR equipment especially in brighter conditions where contrast is not obvious. Hence my suggestion with the aim of closing the gap between graphics and real life visuals. 

That said you I am now at 100+ refuels so maybe I am adapting. 

Thanks again 👍

Considering the hornet wing and position lights are WAY too bright - it’s like a Christmas tree at 20 miles, there’s zero reasons why the faint and weak lights under the tanker can’t be massively improved. Not to the overblown ‘oh my retinas!’ F18 level but at least to the point where they are visible at all times of day/night/brightness. 

I can see the left one quite well but the right one is almost always impossible to see.  

• Like 2