Startup sounds

Mike Busutil

One of the coolest things about the Corsair is it’s big radial engine and the way it sounds during startup. (This is true for most all WW2 aircraft) I’m wondering how close the DCS version of the Corsair will be to the real thing. Will we get the realistic sounds, start behavior and smoke effects or will it be much more simpler? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

We are using professional recordings of John Deere tractors cutting grass along the highway.  

Keep Calm And Carry On GIF by Jimmy the Mower

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

https://magnitude-3.com/

https://www.facebook.com/magnitude3llc

https://www.youtube.com/@magnitude_3

i9 13900K, 128GB RAM, RTX 4090, Win10Pro, 2 x 2TB SSD

i9 10980XE, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090Ti, Win10 Pro, 2 x 256GB SSD, 4 x 512GB SSD RAID 0, 6 x 4TB HDD RAID 6, 9361-8i RAID Controller

i7 4960X, 64GB RAM, GTX Titan X Black, Win10 Pro, 512GB PCIe SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD

3 hours ago, -Rudel- said:

We are using professional recordings of John Deere tractors cutting grass along the highway.  

Keep Calm And Carry On GIF by Jimmy the Mower

When youre done can you get it to them to cut the grass on the airfields as well? 

Screen_220112_134659.png

• Like 4

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

Well, every other module here has a more or less real sound, sometimes directly recorded from the real deal if not always. I wouldn't know why this would be any different. Indeed, while not an ED module, but still The Fighter Collection do own a FG-1D, so not that tough subject to find. Questions you guys rise from time to time are unbelievable 🤣.

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

1 hour ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

Well, every other module here has a more or less real sound, sometimes directly recorded from the real deal if not always. I wouldn't know why this would be any different. Indeed, while not an ED module, but still The Fighter Collection do own a FG-1D, so not that tough subject to find. Questions you guys rise from time to time are unbelievable 🤣.

Yes, but….

Real sounds or not - the vid above is a good example of why there have been some questions about DCS piston engine start up sounds - the coughs, splutters, misfires, catching on a couple of cylinders and then warming up and getting in to rhythm 😉

• Like 3

Yeah, you mean those cool details people don't care about except a bunch of geeks and not only they don't care, they even complain because it takes too long to start up the warbirds and even you have to wait too much before taking off with all those instruments in green hence they end up in the carefree just I or E start competence 😅.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in the geeky side and up for any of those details, but I can understand it's too much of a hassle for devs while so many people don't even appreciate the work behind required. It's just a cool detail and after running up the engine everything is the same as now, you don't see those in-flight or anything. Lets see how it's released, but I would understand it doesn't happen aside from current start-up effects. If it comes great, of course.

The sound itself I hope, almost give for granted, will be good since we have so many examples of the thing and latest DCS sound updates are just gorgeous so every module can take advantage of it.

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

Latest warbird sound updates are gorgeous because BTD made them and because he had access to ED's own recordings made at Duxford.

Magnitude guys have neither and based on quality of MiG and CE sounds rather falling behind quality of artwork and FM, that's the only aspect of upcoming Corsair module I'm somewhat worried about. But we'll see. If they managed to get prop rendering tech from ED, maybe they can afford contracting BTD to help with Corsair sounds as well ;). Unless they found equally skilled sound guy on their own of course!

• Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I meant not only BTD hand, but probably some tweaks to internal sound engine happening not long ago.

I haven't the faintest on how the relationship is internally among ED and third parties, but I don't think it should be that hard since they are business partners. Hope so at least.