Landing Gear Warning Horn Setting

doright

I was reading "Terror in the Right Seat" and the author/Mossie Navigator stated that they flew their night intruder missions at 240mph so that 1 minute was 4 miles which was 1 inch on their maps. Nice convent figures to use while trying to look for landmarks in the dark, playing owl and constantly checking 6, scanning for targets... I tried replicating this in DCS with a full fuel and ammo, trimmed out, low level. Trying to maintain 240mph almost always set the landing gear warning horn off. Either the DCS mossie has the horn setting is set a little too high, or the the actual pilots in WW2 just didn't hear it anymore (or both.)

• 2 weeks later...

I can see it happening with some frequency while trying to maintain formation, but the WW2 navigator never mentioned in his book the L/G warning horn going off for the entirety of their night SOLO missions on the deck. I only tried for like 45 minutes at full fuel and ammo and the horn was near constant, would have to throttle back even more to maintain 240mph with low fuel and ammo making the warning horn not even close to turning off.

Maybe should inquire about the 500' AGL at 240mph profile. Probably would also have to account for the derated Merlins being operated today.

• Like 1

What rpm settings are you using, try low rpm.

Did they mentioned what power settings were used for this 240mph night cruise ?

try 2000 rpm or 1800 rpm

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Propeller pitch would be my goto solution as well. Close to idle power there is no need for low gear aka high rpm. That could help...

Just don't forget to raise RPM before(!) you throttle up again.

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"