Have the Oculus Quest 2, but not that glad with the results :(

Ross-impress

Just flying a copple of days with the Oculus and in my opinion i have some tunnel view, so 'abit' left or right looking doesn't work well, it's all blur.

I changed the setting of the glasses, 1-2-3 about the distance of the eyes, but nothing works fine.  Also after a while of flying it's just like the Oculus is about the freeze, stuttering,....  also it felt hot, so if i take a break and start again it's over, so i think the cpu on the Oculus had big problems to convert the data from the computer.  For me it's almost not possible to read the instruments without zoom-in. I'm sure that i haven't problems with the fps from my computer, he's strong enough but i think the Oculus isn't....

Any proposal for a better VR with no tunnel view or distance blur? 

Configuration:  

Windows 11 Home/ Intel Core i9-12900FRTX 3080 10 GB/ 64GB DDR4-3200/ 2 TB m.2 NVMe/ HP Reverb G2/V2/ Thrustmaster Cougar Hotas/ 

INSTAGRAM ACCOUNT@ross_impress • Instagram-foto's en -video's  (everything about the real flying world, drone and DCS)

22 minutes ago, cloudkake said:

start from the beginning please,

what are your PC specs

what are you using? Link cable or Air Link

What are you running on the headset? 72hz? And what/if any upscaling?

Specs in my signature, using link (2.3GB/s) cable, 72hz..

Configuration:  

Windows 11 Home/ Intel Core i9-12900FRTX 3080 10 GB/ 64GB DDR4-3200/ 2 TB m.2 NVMe/ HP Reverb G2/V2/ Thrustmaster Cougar Hotas/ 

INSTAGRAM ACCOUNT@ross_impress • Instagram-foto's en -video's  (everything about the real flying world, drone and DCS)

Have you gone into devices in your oculus app and changed the resolution?

Mine was not at maximum when I first connected mine.

Personally for me I have no problem reading the HUD. It's clear as day.

Cockpit instruments are quite good as well. Only thing that could be a little better would be the MFD's sometimes. It's okish, but could be better.

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2022 at 12:36 PM, Ross-impress said:

Specs in my signature, using link (2.3GB/s) cable, 72hz..

I can't see your signature. It used to be at the bottom of the message.

I use the Oculus2 with a AMD 5600X, AMD 6800, 32GB of memory and i can read the instruments and have a good framerate. it is all depends on your settings. 

Edited by DutchCoolHand

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/13/2022 at 5:48 PM, DutchCoolHand said:

I can't see your signature. It used to be at the bottom of the message.

I use the Oculus2 with a AMD 5600X, AMD 6800, 32GB of memory and i can read the instruments and have a good framerate. it is all depends on your settings. 

Thanks all works fine now 😉

Configuration:  

• 2 months later...

I have been looking for the right place to write this post.  Figure here is as good as any.  I am running a 5950x, 32gb ram, ssd steam DCS with the Quest2 on cable link.  With an RTX 3090.

Here are the basic settings I have been playing with thus far.  Buttery smooth, framerate while cruising around is ~70, min lowest I see is around 36.

I have read and watched SO many posts on settings that I just gave up, found a place that worked smoothly and just fly.  Honestly, I am good with my surroundings at these settings but would love to have the cockpit detail a bit sharper.  I "think" it is the Oculus App that I should adjust?  Perhaps turn on Automatic and increase resolution 2-3 notches?  Or is it better to max out Oculus App resolution with base VR settings in DCS and then slowly increase the DCS settings?   I think the Oculus Tray Tools can just stay put.  Or maybe I don't even need that?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

-CWJ

2022-04-01_17h42_19.png

2022-04-01_17h48_59.png

2022-04-01_17h42_34.png

2022-04-01_17h42_40.png

Try encode resolution to 3648 and enable link sharpening instead of having it set to auto. See if that helps.

You also may want to turn textures to medium. High will max out your VRAM real quick with not much better visuals.

Thanks for the advice.  Those changes definitely improved the cockpit text.  Seems like 0 impact on game performance.

Oculus Tray Tools:
- encode = 3648
Sharpening = enabled

DCS:
Textues = Med
Cockpit Disp = 512
SSLR = OFF
VIS Range = High

Oculus App
Resolution = max

I also shut off MSAA, Off vs 2x = Off looks better for some reason.

• Thanks 1

Played another session with these settings today.  This definitely improved the quality but it did not change the performance at all.  If there was anything else to increase or turn on what would you recommend next?  Or maybe just max out all of DCS sliders?

Another thing that could help is on the oculus tray tool, type in 0.80 for horizontal and .80 vertical under mirror fov multiplier. That will decrease the workload and you won’t notice a difference with the headset on. Terrain textures to low and anisotropic filtering to 4-8x. That’s what I run.

Edited by Gruble

On 4/3/2022 at 2:19 PM, crosswindjones said:

I have been looking for the right place to write this post.  Figure here is as good as any.  I am running a 5950x, 32gb ram, ssd steam DCS with the Quest2 on cable link.  With an RTX 3090.

Here are the basic settings I have been playing with thus far.  Buttery smooth, framerate while cruising around is ~70, min lowest I see is around 36.

I have read and watched SO many posts on settings that I just gave up, found a place that worked smoothly and just fly.  Honestly, I am good with my surroundings at these settings but would love to have the cockpit detail a bit sharper.  I "think" it is the Oculus App that I should adjust?  Perhaps turn on Automatic and increase resolution 2-3 notches?  Or is it better to max out Oculus App resolution with base VR settings in DCS and then slowly increase the DCS settings?   I think the Oculus Tray Tools can just stay put.  Or maybe I don't even need that?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

-CWJ

2022-04-01_17h42_19.png

2022-04-01_17h48_59.png

2022-04-01_17h42_34.png

2022-04-01_17h42_40.png

Delete OTT, run bitrate and res width at default and all other ODT settings at default. Increase oculus resolution to maximum in software I have an older CPU than you and a 3090 and run much higher game settings for a great experience (except visibility range -  thats a killer. High is hardly different to ultra). For the last few months oculus does some absolute magic in in software and the Q2 runs better than ever in DCS. Don't hamper it by changing settings. Its definitely used to be the case, but no longer.

Running the Q2 at "recommended" resolution and then adding in 1.2 SS makes no sense. At max you will have no headroom for SS, nor will you need it. I also run 80 hrz but personal preference there maybe.

On 4/5/2022 at 12:18 AM, Laidback said:

Try turning ASW mode off.  I had it on and the frame rate dropped.  

Its supposed to. Thats how it works

On 4/4/2022 at 11:15 PM, Gruble said:

Another thing that could help is on the oculus tray tool, type in 0.80 for horizontal and .80 vertical under mirror fov multiplier. That will decrease the workload and you won’t notice a difference with the headset on. Terrain textures to low and anisotropic filtering to 4-8x. That’s what I run.

Yes reducing FOV will help, but.. well reduces FOV. I can't stand anymore than 0.9. Setting terrian textures to low on a 3090 is a waste of time. It has plenty of VRAM. With a 3090 all the tweaks need to be CPU based, I run high textures, full preload and high visibility. On syria, in the apache, smooth as silk.

Also on the above CPU point, trimming the fat off your PC in terms of background applications makes a massive difference. If you aren't using it, don't run it.

Edited by Hoirtel

I agree with Hoirtel's comments above. Oculus/Meta have worked some magic on the Airlink software over the past few months.

I'm getting very smooth gameplay with the Oculus PC app set to maximum resolution at 72Hz.

The only setting you need in the Debug tool is make sure sharpening is set on.

Any other tweaks are just fluff 🙂

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER
Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

Edited by Lensman
added rig

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

6 minutes ago, Lensman said:

I agree with Hoirtel's comments above. Oculus/Meta have worked some magic on the Airlink software over the past few months.

I'm getting very smooth gameplay with the Oculus PC app set to maximum resolution at 72Hz.

The only setting you need in the Debug tool is make sure sharpening is set on.

Any other tweaks are just fluff 🙂

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER
Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

Airlink is absolute whichcraft... I cannot tell the difference to link cable now. Other than battery drain, which is the only reason I still use the cable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoirtel said:

Airlink is absolute whichcraft... I cannot tell the difference to link cable now. Other than battery drain, which is the only reason I still use the cable.

How much battery time do you get, out of curiosity? I've had the Quest 2 for months and never tried Airlink, mainly for this reason.

Just now, davidrbarnette said:

How much battery time do you get, out of curiosity? I've had the Quest 2 for months and never tried Airlink, mainly for this reason.

Around 2hrs (ish) quite usable really, but I don't mind the wire when seated in DCS. For the occasional zombie killing spree, airlink is the only way to go. To get the best out of airlink your PC needs to be connected to your wifi 6 router via a cable and all needs to be in the same room. Once I wonder away from router it drops off. It does have more range than the cable though.... 

I won't even hook up my VR headset for only two hours of gaming.

I need a min of 4 and prefer more for the day lol.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I get around 4 hours from the Quest using the battery strap. I get good range from my TP-Link AX1800 Wi-Fi 6 router. It's in the same 1st floor room as my flight and racing rigs, but I can happily play Skyrim downstairs in the lounge or even in the garden after the sun sets 🙂

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

16 minutes ago, Lensman said:

I get around 4 hours from the Quest using the battery strap. I get good range from my TP-Link AX1800 Wi-Fi 6 router. It's in the same 1st floor room as my flight and racing rigs, but I can happily play Skyrim downstairs in the lounge or even in the garden after the sun sets 🙂

Yes, I should add I'm on the basic strap and standard battery only. That range is impressive! I'm actually only on my standard isp router which I never expected to work as well as it does. It's not something I do much but if I could play standing VR in a bigger room.... Hmmm.. upgrades....

• Like 1