New PC Build - 6900 XT vs 3080 Ti

dooom

Hey all,

I have begun to accrue the parts for a new PC build and picked up a Ryzen 5800X + x570 TUF MOBO bundle yesterday.  With the current GPU crisis on, i cannot find a 3080 Ti at a reasonable price anywhere.  My local vendor does have a new 6900 XT he is trying to sell me and its not likely to last in stock.

I am aware that VR in DCS likes the Nvidia line better but what does that mean?  I mean, if i get the 6900 XT, VR will still work wont it?? I dont have any VR rig yet but am planning a bit ahead here...  What would i be giving up if i grab that 6900 XT vs. waiting to get my hands on a 3080 Ti somewhere somehow?

Should i just get the 6900 XT they have in stock before its gone?

S!

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

Nvidia FE cards are available every month here in the UK, pretty regular, just got to grab one once they stock comes in.  Cheapest 3080ti you'll find at £1049, if you're UK or EU then subscribe to the FePartAlert telegram channel  🙂

I believe that @TED has been testing the 3080 and 6900xt back to back in vr so could probably give you some more insight.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

31 minutes ago, dooom said:

Hey all,

I have begun to accrue the parts for a new PC build and picked up a Ryzen 5800X + x570 TUF MOBO bundle yesterday.  With the current GPU crisis on, i cannot find a 3080 Ti at a reasonable price anywhere.  My local vendor does have a new 6900 XT he is trying to sell me and its not likely to last in stock.

I am aware that VR in DCS likes the Nvidia line better but what does that mean?  I mean, if i get the 6900 XT, VR will still work wont it?? I dont have any VR rig yet but am planning a bit ahead here...  What would i be giving up if i grab that 6900 XT vs. waiting to get my hands on a 3080 Ti somewhere somehow?

Should i just get the 6900 XT they have in stock before its gone?

S!

Yep.. As @edmusssaid I've been testing both and putting them through their paces with a g2.

I'd initially believed the 3080 was better, but now I've learnt a little more, especially about tuning the 6900xt I'm getting absolutely fantastic results with it. I'm playing mp server with 100% resolution in Syria and its extremely smooth. So much so, I think I will probably sell the 3080 (which is also excellent btw). 

There is very little advice about tuning the 6900 for dcs online so it's a bit hard to work out. I've done quite a bit and now it makes sense. I am pretty sure I can still squeeze some more out of it too and the extra vram of the 6900 is definitely starting to show. After my latest rounds of testing I'm really impressed with the 6900.

If u get one give me a shout and I can walk u though some settings. Its not complicated once u know where and 15 mins is all u will need. 

• Like 1

If you plan to upgrade your headsets to Varjo Aero or Apara in the future it is safer to go with NVIDIA as AMD GPUs are not currently supported. 

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

2 hours ago, TED said:

Yep.. As @edmusssaid I've been testing both and putting them through their paces with a g2.

I'd initially believed the 3080 was better, but now I've learnt a little more, especially about tuning the 6900xt I'm getting absolutely fantastic results with it. I'm playing mp server with 100% resolution in Syria and its extremely smooth. So much so, I think I will probably sell the 3080 (which is also excellent btw). 

There is very little advice about tuning the 6900 for dcs online so it's a bit hard to work out. I've done quite a bit and now it makes sense. I am pretty sure I can still squeeze some more out of it too and the extra vram of the 6900 is definitely starting to show. After my latest rounds of testing I'm really impressed with the 6900.

If u get one give me a shout and I can walk u though some settings. Its not complicated once u know where and 15 mins is all u will need. 

Ah man - that would be excellent @TED - Maybe I can help you put together an optimization video and upload it to support the use case.  Might i ask what CPU you are running and the speed?  I imagine that would influence performance.  i am planning to liquid cool and boost the 5800x i have to squeeze more performance out.

Cheers,

Edited by dooom

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

@TED coud you please make a post about your findings with your 6900XT and how you tuned yours for maximum performance?

I have yet to pull the trigger on a Nvidia or AMD card.

As you said, there is alot of info on Nvidia, but not much on AMD and how to tune the cards for best performance. Also maybe why Nvidia is so popular within DCS.

Cheers

2 hours ago, dooom said:

Ah man - that would be excellent @TED - Maybe I can help you put together an optimization video and upload it to support the use case.  Might i ask what CPU you are running and the speed?  I imagine that would influence performance.  i am planning to liquid cool and boost the 5800x i have to squeeze more performance out.

Cheers,

I’m using a ryzen 7 3800xt oc to 4.3. It’s plenty. A 5800x would be more than enough. If u liquid cool u can go way further than me. As I mentioned earlier the most important thing seems to be optimizing the cpu core affinity. Easy to do. Just dedicated 2 cores solely to dcs and nothing else. it will be 4 numbers as even are physical cores and odd numbers virtual. On my 3800xt I have 8 cores, so I dedicated 13/14 and 15/16 to dcs. Those cores have no other process in them. 

1 hour ago, TED said:

I’m using a ryzen 7 3800xt oc to 4.3. It’s plenty. A 5800x would be more than enough. If u liquid cool u can go way further than me. As I mentioned earlier the most important thing seems to be optimizing the cpu core affinity. Easy to do. Just dedicated 2 cores solely to dcs and nothing else. it will be 4 numbers as even are physical cores and odd numbers virtual. On my 3800xt I have 8 cores, so I dedicated 13/14 and 15/16 to dcs. Those cores have no other process in them. 

Doesnt the 3800XT boost to 4.7 out of the box?

Yes apparently but I'm a bit cautious without liquid cooling. A lot of what I've read and tested say up to about 4.4 with air so I just keep a bit of headroom. To be honest I've never seen my cpu hit 100% anyway. 

ok - if that XFXSpeedster MERC319 Radeon RX 6900XT Limited Black is still there tomorrow I'll grab it.

Edited by dooom