AMD 6900xt tuning and settings for VR in dcs. My optimal recipe.

TED

Ok, here we go.

First thanks to @Sr.  for the advice about doing a clean driver install, I did that and it worked 100% at start.

First run was terrible with a 15 FPS drop, lots of stutters, repeated twice with same results.  I was suspecting conflicting problem with reshade or vr shader.  Then tried vanilla and saw a 5% gain right there.  Re-installed reshade_sharpen_color and FPS gain was up to 6.5%!  The conflict was with "VR Shader mod for 2.7.12.23362", the new AMD driver does not play well with it.  I have not tried with SIMPLEX as my FPS gain with it is now negative since last OB update. 

Not using VR Shader ended up by a positive gain nevertheless as I was getting a 4% FPS gain with it.  So my net gain with the new AMD driver is about 2 FPS but simplifying things as no need to uninstall/re-install this mod again, and suffer for long waiting time when shaders need to be re-compiled.  Positive overall. Not a great gain but will be significant for people not using a shader.

More info:  As I am trying different modules and terrain, I find that some occasional stutter happens.  I think the card's shader cache is being re-populated along the way.  If I replay the same mission, the stuttering goes away.  

Edited by WipeUout
New info and findings

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.

1 hour ago, WipeUout said:

Ok, here we go.

First thanks to @Sr.  for the advice about doing a clean driver install, I did that and it worked 100% at start.

First run was terrible with a 15 FPS drop, lots of stutters, repeated twice with same results.  I was suspecting conflicting problem with reshade or vr shader.  Then tried vanilla and saw a 5% gain right there.  Re-installed reshade_sharpen_color and FPS gain was up to 6.5%!  The conflict was with "VR Shader mod for 2.7.12.23362", the new AMD driver does not play well with it.  I have not tried with SIMPLEX as my FPS gain with it is now negative since last OB update. 

Not using VR Shader ended up by a positive gain nevertheless as I was getting a 4% FPS gain with it.  So my net gain with the new AMD driver is about 2 FPS but simplifying things as no need to uninstall/re-install this mod again, and suffer for long waiting time when shaders need to be re-compiled.  Positive overall. Not a great gain but will be significant for people not using a shader.

More info:  As I am trying different modules and terrain, I find that some occasional stutter happens.  I think the card's shader cache is being re-populated along the way.  If I replay the same mission, the stuttering goes away.  

Interesting. I'll do some vanilla/OXR only testing after work.

Had you tried clearing the shader cache in Radeon Software?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

1 minute ago, Sr. said:

Had you tried clearing the shader cache in Radeon Software?

Though about it but hesitated.  I think it would not make any big difference, it has to be re-constructed anyway.  This is what I say in some reviews about the new driver as well, people have stutters in first runs and it goes away after.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.

I upgraded and got a reduction in Graphics ms frametime. Cranked the graphics with shadows to get a firm bottleneck - Apache hotstart Syria from 23ms down to 21ms (on the same settings)

Take this with a grain of salt as I had to reinstall Windows Mixed Reality as my headset begun to strobe for some (unrelated?) reason. Before finding the culprit I also reinstalled OpenXR but it was fine before and is fine after too. So there may be other aspects at play

9 minutes ago, nikoel said:

I upgraded and got a reduction in Graphics ms frametime. Cranked the graphics with shadows to get a firm bottleneck - Apache hotstart Syria from 23ms down to 21ms (on the same settings)

Take this with a grain of salt as I had to reinstall Windows Mixed Reality as my headset begun to strobe for some (unrelated?) reason. Before finding the culprit I also reinstalled OpenXR but it was fine before and is fine after too. So there may be other aspects at play

Mine did the strobing thing one run of SteamVR cliff house... after that, all I could get was audio. I was sure I'd frag'd my G2 🙂

And your package began it's long journey to the other side of the planet yesterday. 🍺

Edited by Sr.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

Simple upgrade, no issues.  OXR with no mods, I have some post processing effects in the toolkit (gotta have my shades, of course).  All done in F18.  

Test run, Syria.  GPU times

• PRE:  15.9 in the country, 16.6 over a town

Those are good for 58-62fps.  Seems like I'm usually in the 50's on that map but that was before cleaning house during the last update.

Figuring maybe the real difference was over the city, I figured I'd dust off the NTTR map.  Holy cow.

• Over the desert: 10.6 (91fps)
  • Suburbs: 12.4
  • Buzzing the strip: 15.0 (58-62fps)
  • On the ramp at Nellis: 14.6 (where I was CPU bound, framerate 46)

I'm normally right at 46fps buzzing the city, I was consistently 58fps plus and over 60 most of the time.  Solid 90-91fps flying over the desert. Consistently >80 in the pattern at Nellis, including rolling down the runway.  

I'm impressed.  

Edited by DeltaMike
  • Like 1

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

2 hours ago, WipeUout said:

Though about it but hesitated.  I think it would not make any big difference, it has to be re-constructed anyway.  This is what I say in some reviews about the new driver as well, people have stutters in first runs and it goes away after.

Shutting off the other shader mod was the ticket. Just tried my trk file again and stayed in the 12s for GPU. Down from 14403 earlier.

--Arthur C Clark

Not exactly stable, got the black screen of death and had to roll it back.  I'm still impressed though, the boys are definitely on the right track

Edited by DeltaMike

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

34 minutes ago, DeltaMike said:

Not exactly stable, got the black screen of death and had to roll it back.  I'm still impressed though, the boys are definitely on the right track

I get BSOD 1 out 5 it seems.

Edited by Sr.

--Arthur C Clark

2022/1/11 PM5点50分,edmuss说:

我犯了只为 DCS 捕获单个核心的错误,正确的快门显示😄

一旦我放置了两个最快的内核及其虚拟组件(3&4、9&10),它们都正常运行,我不能说 SP 任务中的 CPU 时间更低,但 CPU 帧时间可能更稳定一些.

How do I  know which two cores are the fastest  ?

If you're on an AMD CPU then ryzen master will tell you which of the cores in each chiplet are fastest and second fastest.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

Chalk up another fail.

WMR portal just leaves me with black screens in the headset - it's on (you can tell the backlight of the screen is on), but just black in the headset.

I did do an upgrade vice clean install, so now I guess I'll try clean...

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

• 3 weeks later...

Does the latest 22.5.2 driver solved stability for you guys?  Although i did not have major issues with the preview, the 22.5.2 is definetly more stable to me but a tad slower.  The good new is that VR shader does not conflict with it anymore and you can still gain a bit from it. 

On 5/13/2022 at 1:01 PM, Sandman1330 said:

Chalk up another fail.

WMR portal just leaves me with black screens in the headset - it's on (you can tell the backlight of the screen is on), but just black in the headset.

I did do an upgrade vice clean install, so now I guess I'll try clean...

I have a similar issue after the Radeon Software upgrade. First launch WMR portal I get black/grey display. Close/Open WMR again, now an image but heavy flicker. Close/open again... lighter flicker. Close/open one more time and it's normal. It's almost like it is cycling through different refresh rates from the intensity then lessening of the flicker rate on the 2nd and 3rd restarts.

This happens every subsequent time I sit down to VR.

Edited by Sr.

--Arthur C Clark

9 hours ago, Sr. said:

I have a similar issue after the Radeon Software upgrade. First launch WMR portal I get black/grey display. Close/Open WMR again, now an image but heavy flicker. Close/open again... lighter flicker. Close/open one more time and it's normal. It's almost like it is cycling through different refresh rates from the intensity then lessening of the flicker rate on the 2nd and 3rd restarts.

This happens every subsequent time I sit down to VR.

Yeah about 1 in 10 times it would work, the rest of the time was a mix of strobing and black screen. I just gave up and reverted back to the main driver.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

2 hours ago, Thanatos31 said:

Had to roll back the drivers as I got extreme flickering with the latest update 

Same. I rolled back to the last December release.

Which are you on now?

Edited by Sr.

--Arthur C Clark

At work now, but had same issue with my Reverb G2  with new drivers. Intense strobing effect.

It seems to do half refreshrate of what is actually set in the settings. 90Hz gave slightly more strobing then default 60Hz, and 60 Hz gave some intense strobing effect. 
Makes me think that sometimes 90Hz give 45 Hz, and 60Hz gives 30Hz....

And like you, it's a hit and miss of the VR set actually works. Have to restart WMR multiple times until image is ok in WMR. And sometimes it's just black....

On 6/4/2022 at 6:03 PM, Sr. said:

Same. I rolled back to the last December release.

Which are you on now?

And it doesnt show the 22.5.2 as an option for me in adrenaline anymore.

Come fly with us : https://discord.gg/tawdcs  TAW CJTF 13 - EU TZ MilSim Squadron

Ryzen 5 5600X | 32GB DDR4 3733| ASUS Radeon RX 6700 XT  | ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | HP Reverb G2 | Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle , F16 & F18 grips , TFRP Rudders |  Win 10

2 hours ago, Thanatos31 said:

And it doesn't show the 22.5.2 as an option for me in adrenaline anymore.

Thanks. Same here.

--Arthur C Clark

• 1 month later...

No change with 22.7.1

• Fixed Issues

• Lower than expected Folding@home™ compute performance with OpenCL™ API on some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon™ RX 6800.
  • Auto Undervolt may disable Zero RPM fan feature.
  • Hitman 3™ may freeze when rapidly switching between windows in Fullscreen Exclusive mode.
  • Video upscaling in browsers appears blurry with some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon® RX 6900 XT Graphics.
  • Enhanced Sync may cause games to lock to 15FPS with video playback on extended monitors.
  • Known Issues

• Stuttering may be experienced while playing Call of Duty®: Warzone™ on the Caldera map with some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon™ RX 6900 XT Graphics.
  • Radeon™ Super Resolution may fail to trigger after changing resolution or HDR settings on games such as Nioh™ 2.
  • Virtual Reality headsets may flicker with some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon™ RX 6800 XT Graphics.
  • GPU utilization may be stuck at 100% in Radeon performance metrics after closing games on some AMD Graphics Products such as Radeon™ 570.
  • Display may flicker black during video playback plus gameplay on some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon™ RX 6700 XT.
  • Enhanced Sync may cause a black screen to occur when enabled on some games and system configurations. Any users who may be experiencing issues with Enhanced Sync enabled should disable it as a temporary workaround.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-22-7-1?utm_source=pardot&utm_content=&utm_campaign=2022-07-26_Driver_Alert-Radeon_Software-Release22.7.1-jul-en_US-email&utm_medium=email&utm_term=

Edited by Sr.

--Arthur C Clark

Hi everyone I am a new 6900xt user. The card is a beast, but in VR there are a lot of issues. I have a Valve Index and as soon as the FPS goes down from 80 (I have the index screen set-up at 80hz) everything is screwed up...Motion Smoothing or not.

I have found that older drivers (21.5.2) from May 2021, works well and allow me to use Motion Smoothing in the same way my older Nvidia Card did (2080ti), of course with a lot of performance more.

So I don't understand how it is possible that VR is broken (motion smoothing and all reprojection technologies mainly) from more then an year, and AMD seems to not be aware of the issue (never mentioned in their known issues).

Is there a way to report it to AMD?

Reprojection Alghoritms are a necessity for VR Flight Simming. And yes I am aware that a lot of people here says that they don't use it and are fine...but it is not my case as I am very unconfortable without it. And anyway it is not acceptable that a card which cost about 1000 euros does not have all the options available and for a so long time.

Edited by VirusAM

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

19 minutes ago, VirusAM said:

Hi everyone I am a new 6900xt user. The card is a beast, but in VR there are a lot of issues. I have a Valve Index and as soon as the FPS goes down from 80 (I have the index screen set-up at 80hz) everything is screwed up...Motion Smoothing or not.

I have found that older drivers (21.5.2) from May 2021, works well and allow me to use Motion Smoothing in the same way my older Nvidia Card did (2080ti), of course with a lot of performance more.

So I don't understand how it is possible that VR is broken (motion smoothing and all reprojection technologies mainly) from more then an year, and AMD seems to not be aware of the issue (never mentioned in their known issues).

Is there a way to report it to AMD?

Reprojection Alghoritms are a necessity for VR Flight Simming. And yes I am aware that a lot of people here says that they don't use it and are fine...but it is not my case as I am very unconfortable without it. And anyway it is not acceptable that a card which cost about 1000 euros does not have all the options available and for a so long time.

Another 9600XT user here, and i agree with you.

I mitigated this issue using my reverb G2 at 60 hz (after little time, flickering is no more a problem) and disabling motion reprojection.

Now, i'm more inclined to see what Nvidia put in the market this winter.

24 minutes ago, Topo said:

Another 9600XT user here, and i agree with you.

I mitigated this issue using my reverb G2 at 60 hz (after little time, flickering is no more a problem) and disabling motion reprojection.

Now, i'm more inclined to see what Nvidia put in the market this winter.

Did you try to use older drivers?

As I wrote above, using 21.5.2 everything is smooth.

I tried the latest drivers (22.7.something) and 22.5.1 and it was nightmare (especially the newest one). Maybe other drivers will be good as well, somewhere they introduced something that broke VR.

Anyway I am going to file a proper bug report to AMD tonight, I don't know if other people did the same.  

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

The valve index has a relative low resolution, you should not have any problem sustaining 80 FPS or more.  The latest AMD drivers work very good for me but I am using a pimax 8k.  I suggest doing clean install of your AMD driver using DDU (see https://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/ddu-guide-tutorial for more info).  After a clean install, make sure you have all the latest driver for your HMD.  Next consider installing fpsVR, this will help pinpoint where is the bottleneck and lastly, share your settings so we can see if there is a problem there as well.