AMD 6900xt tuning and settings for VR in dcs. My optimal recipe.

TED

Just FYI... there's a History viewer built in to FpsVR that gives a good list and graph of stats between session. Can't recall where Steam stores it but, it was call fps History Viewer.exe. May have to be enabled via the onscreen (HMD) menu.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

Thanks for the replies, I haven't checked with the other quality options but I'll investigate more as soon as I find the time. I'm not sure if these effects should be so hard on the GPU, VR or not.

For a quick and dirty comparison with the other air combat sim, clouds are rendered much more efficiently at the highest quality available there (I don't know what those settings translates to in DCS). In any case, what interests me the most is not the highest possible framerate, the overall efficiency and the cost in terms of energy and heat matters just as much, at least to me. If there will be anything else worth reporting I'll do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all

What upscaling % and Custom resolution are you all running within OXR TK on your 6900s?

I'm 77% and 2800 x something in mine and it feels pretty good with MR locked at 45.  just wondering how far most of you push your resolution overrides?

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

31 minutes ago, dooom said:

What upscaling % and Custom resolution are you all running within OXR TK on your 6900s?

OpenXR lowers the image quality too much on pimax.  Nowadays I supersample SteamVR at 150% and set MSAA to off.  I have very clear view with excellent legibility for MFDs.  My stated resolution in fpsVR is 3136x2580.  My HMD refresh rate is at 72hz and I maintain a pretty solid 72 fps except over very dense cities.  My 6900xt is overclocked at 2825 Mhz. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.

59 minutes ago, dooom said:

Hey all

I'm 77% and 2800 x something in mine and it feels pretty good with MR locked at 45.  just wondering how far most of you push your resolution overrides?

I run mine at 100%/Full and it looks awesome.

Granted, I run mine at 60Hz no (noticeable) flicker.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.

Just wanted to post my "recipe" here. Im a G2 owner. Im using a 6800XT, that I oc-ed slightly (6% gain), which puts my card just around a stock 6900XT, that according to most reviews is about 8% faster than the 6800XT.

This way, Im actually quite happy, considering Im struggling (badly) with VR since the RiftS, that was my first VR-set. Only recently I made the final swith to VR over from 2D.

- Im using OpenXR; right now I dont even have SteamVR installed, since Im using VR only with DCS.

- my target is constant 45fps since Motionsmoothing did not work ok for me (I guess thats AMD related); but since RadeonChill does seem to have some overhead, putting the limits (both min and max in RadeonChill) to 47fps is just right for me. When at 45 or 46 there is still some stutter, but once I set 47fps its gone. Only when I drop below those 47fps, stutter starts again. So even if 46fps is indicated, I can see those "jumps" every second for so.

- Im using Radeon-Driver 22.3 since 22.5 or 22.8 (right now optonal) introduced some stutter again for me.

- to achieve those constat 47fps, Ive set my resolution in OpenXR Tools to only 65% with MSAA at 2x and textures at medium, terrain at high, shadows at low and default and clouds at standard. I could go to 75% or 80% also but the difference compared to 65% is tiny IMO but there are less situations where I drop below 47fps. Turing off MSAA lets me increase the resolution by about 15-20% so 85% seems ok, but I prefer the slightly reduced aliasing/shimmering of MSAAx2.

- I could do some finetuning with some settings likes trees, flat terrain-shadows, FSR  etc, but overall this would only give me a very slight bump, probalby as much as 5% decreas in resolution. And since Im quite happy right now, I will skip that. DCS-VR is way too much time invested in tuning anyway.

With constant 47fps gameplay feels quite smooth. Looking for it one of course can see that 47fps aint smooth, best visiable when doing a quick bank-up. But I started gaming in the early 90ies, where 25fps was considered smooth...

I was considering getting right away the next gen AMD-GPUs when they are available, since the 7900XT should be around 100% above the 6900XT, so this would give me the desired 90fps with my current settings. But right now, Im not sure, if there is a need for it, since as I stated before during gameplay its not overly noticable.

The only reason to get a new GPU as soon as possible would be the fear, that the situation around the island, where most of the chips are produced, turn much worse.... But I try to stay optimistic and will wait for the prices to settle some time after the launch, most probably after christmas.

Just to add: I use the Syria-F-18-freeflight mission to tune my settings. Once started I immedeatly push BALT-AP and therefore get a repeatable scenario. With my settings I just scratch the mentioned 47fps at the town on the right 1 Min into the fight. But of course there are many options for this.

Edited by Wali763
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Wali763 said:

Hi.

Just wanted to post my "recipe" here. Im a G2 owner. Im using a 6800XT, that I oc-ed slightly (6% gain), which puts my card just around a stock 6900XT, that according to most reviews is about 8% faster than the 6800XT.

This way, Im actually quite happy, considering Im struggling (badly) with VR since the RiftS, that was my first VR-set. Only recently I made the final swith to VR over from 2D.

- Im using OpenXR; right now I dont even have SteamVR installed, since Im using VR only with DCS.

- my target is constant 45fps since Motionsmoothing did not work ok for me (I guess thats AMD related); but since RadeonChill does seem to have some overhead, putting the limits (both min and max in RadeonChill) to 47fps is just right for me. When at 45 or 46 there is still some stutter, but once I set 47fps its gone. Only when I drop below those 47fps, stutter starts again. So even if 46fps is indicated, I can see those "jumps" every second for so.

- Im using Radeon-Driver 22.3 since 22.5 or 22.8 (right now optonal) introduced some stutter again for me.

- to achieve those constat 47fps, Ive set my resolution in OpenXR Tools to only 65% with MSAA at 2x and textures at medium, terrain at high, shadows at low and default and clouds at standard. I could go to 75% or 80% also but the difference compared to 65% is tiny IMO but there are less situations where I drop below 47fps. Turing off MSAA lets me increase the resolution by about 15-20% so 85% seems ok, but I prefer the slightly reduced aliasing/shimmering of MSAAx2.

- I could do some finetuning with some settings likes trees, flat terrain-shadows, FSR  etc, but overall this would only give me a very slight bump, probalby as much as 5% decreas in resolution. And since Im quite happy right now, I will skip that. DCS-VR is way too much time invested in tuning anyway.

With constant 47fps gameplay feels quite smooth. Looking for it one of course can see that 47fps aint smooth, best visiable when doing a quick bank-up. But I started gaming in the early 90ies, where 25fps was considered smooth...

I was considering getting right away the next gen AMD-GPUs when they are available, since the 7900XT should be around 100% above the 6900XT, so this would give me the desired 90fps with my current settings. But right now, Im not sure, if there is a need for it, since as I stated before during gameplay its not overly noticable.

The only reason to get a new GPU as soon as possible would be the fear, that the situation around the island, where most of the chips are produced, turn much worse.... But I try to stay optimistic and will wait for the prices to settle some time after the launch, most probably after christmas.

Just to add: I use the Syria-F-18-freeflight mission to tune my settings. Once started I immedeatly push BALT-AP and therefore get a repeatable scenario. With my settings I just scratch the mentioned 47fps at the town on the right 1 Min into the fight. But of course there are many options for this.

Useful information, thanks. I'm running a 6900XT and tried Radeon chill but couldn't get it to run smoothly. I don't like motion smoothing so I just run mine unlocked and turn DCS settings down until it runs smoothly. My usual test is the Harrier free flight on the Nevada map. If I can fly low level along the Vegas strip between the buildings (or any map that involves flying low over or between buildings) without any stutter or ghosting (that usually means shadows off and terrain textures low), then I'm pretty good to run anywhere, including multi-player. I'll try again with your Radeon settings and see how it runs.

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

On 9/12/2022 at 12:26 PM, Wali763 said:

Best way I found to test settings is to use a short track file.  This way you have the same exact scenario running, you just keep your head straight and watch FPS from the corner of your eye at specific moments in the track.  Another good way to correctly evaluate the improvement (or cost) in FPS is to have a standard set of setting that will be overly demanding for your system in order to have your FPS stay below your HMD's refresh rate.  This way you will have a more precise idea on the actual gain or loss in FPS when trying to change one setting.  If you use fpsVR (requires steamvR), it is even better/easier as you get the average FPS and check it only at the end of the track.

When I do test with my ''test settings'', my FPS stays in the low 60 FPS at best since my HMD's refresh rate is set to 72hz.  If my FPS would reach 72 FPS during a test, it would stay at 72 FPS with my GPU usage going lower, and I would not have any idea of the actual gain in FPS.  But you are right, DCS can cost you many hours of tweeking and testing to find that sweet spot.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.

On 9/13/2022 at 1:39 PM, WipeUout said:

Best way I found to test settings is to use a short track file.  This way you have the same exact scenario running, you just keep your head straight and watch FPS from the corner of your eye at specific moments in the track.  Another good way to correctly evaluate the improvement (or cost) in FPS is to have a standard set of setting that will be overly demanding for your system in order to have your FPS stay below your HMD's refresh rate.  This way you will have a more precise idea on the actual gain or loss in FPS when trying to change one setting.  If you use fpsVR (requires steamvR), it is even better/easier as you get the average FPS and check it only at the end of the track.

When I do test with my ''test settings'', my FPS stays in the low 60 FPS at best since my HMD's refresh rate is set to 72hz.  If my FPS would reach 72 FPS during a test, it would stay at 72 FPS with my GPU usage going lower, and I would not have any idea of the actual gain in FPS.  But you are right, DCS can cost you many hours of tweeking and testing to find that sweet spot.

Yes, your right. I did that also in the past. And its for sure the better way.

I just mentioned this scenario, because in this I found the difference in drivers and the thing with the 47fps.

Anyway: what I forgot to mention is, that Im rather conservative with my settings and could go much higher with SS than the 65%. But this way, above the trees in caucasus I still have 47fps. Only on Marianas and over Beirut, I get some stuttering.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

Based on this and other similar threads I acquired AMD 5900x, 64Gb 3200Mhz RAM, 6900xt, X570s chipset, NVME SSD and what is most important Pico Neo 3 Link. I can run DCS either via steamvr or openXR (opencomposite) howewer Pico needs to use SteamVR OpenXR runtime, it does not have its own implementation. Now to my problem, I can either keep motion smoothing in SVR on and fight with well known image flickering, or based on information stated here turn motion smoothing off, cap FPS via radeon chill and enjoy no stutters, no flickering, no glitches and no stutters..... Yes but in this scenario I have huge motion blur (double vision) of all moving object, blur is proportional to angular movement speed. In other thread I found that blur and double vision can be cured by turning off Advanced supersample filtering. I tried, it did literally nothing, no change. My question is, is the motion blur which is so huge that it turns into double vision something what those of you with 6900xt just cope with (ignore, don´t bother with etc) or is there something I could have missed ? Thank you

I couldn't get fps cap in Radeon chill to work satisfactory enough so I turned it off. Motion blur and ghosting us usually due to motion smoothing, but if you have motion smoothing off then maybe it's the Radeon chill causing it. 

I would just turn off Radeon chill, motion smoothing and adjust your DCS settings (shadows off, turn textures down) until you can maintain whatever refresh rate you're running your headset at (in my case that's 72 fps with an quest 2). That's the best way to eliminate ghosting and stuttering.

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

5 hours ago, AlpineGTA said:

I couldn't get fps cap in Radeon chill to work satisfactory enough so I turned it off. Motion blur and ghosting us usually due to motion smoothing, but if you have motion smoothing off then maybe it's the Radeon chill causing it. 

I would just turn off Radeon chill, motion smoothing and adjust your DCS settings (shadows off, turn textures down) until you can maintain whatever refresh rate you're running your headset at (in my case that's 72 fps with an quest 2). That's the best way to eliminate ghosting and stuttering.

I have ghosting only with motion smoothing OFF on 6900XT. With motion smoothing ON I have no ghosting, but instead I have warping, tearing, flickering. With 2080S the situation was ghosting on with motion smoothing off, no problems with motion smoothing ON (no ghosting, no warping etc). Based on this observation I assume that motion smoothing is necessary to ensure proper headset function (since there is always ghosting on AMD or NV with MS off) and that this necessary feature is not working with AMD GPUs. Unfortunatelly I switched to AMD GPU believing to what people here say (turn motion smoothing off, cap FPS and it will be OK) but I suspect that AMD users just turn off motion smoothing because it´s broken and live with ghosting, instead of admitting that AMD GPU and steamvr are not compatible.... Other option is that I am missing something else but I am loosing any hope that I will find that "something".... Reaching stable 72Hz would also "solve" this problem (not real solution, since missing functionality would be just not needed in such case), but even with my rig I am unable to keep steady and stable 72Hz even on lowest settings.... so I will have to consider either going back to 2D or switch again to Nvidia.... 😕 Really hopeless story.......

Edited by Nicol21

5 hours ago, AlpineGTA said:

maintain whatever refresh rate you're running your headset

Yes, same here.  Double vision or ghosting is breaking immersion.

Find the acceptable setting that will allow you to run your GPU frame time bellow what is require to maintain your FPS higher than your refresh rate.  Big performance hits are:

• Anisotropic Filtering: keep off, no significant visual difference and can save you several FPS.
  • Shadows: Presently broken and a big FPS hit with 2.8, keep off until it is fixed.
  • MSAA: Try to keep it at 2x or off.  Supersample a bit instead to reduce shimmers. I find SteamVR is the most efficient to supersample vs pixel denstity in DCS
  • Mirrors:  Turn off while in flight, can save you up to 1 ms off your frame time.
  • Textures:  Medium/Low will save you 2-3 FPS over high/high.  Can make the difference between staying over your refresh rate or having stutters.
  • Use a dedicate server:  You have a good CPU but it does not have a good single thread performance and DCS uses only one core.  Your CPU will be less taxed by using a dedicated server to run your missions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicol21 said:

I have ghosting only with motion smoothing OFF on 6900XT. With motion smoothing ON I have no ghosting, but instead I have warping, tearing, flickering. With 2080S the situation was ghosting on with motion smoothing off, no problems with motion smoothing ON (no ghosting, no warping etc). Based on this observation I assume that motion smoothing is necessary to ensure proper headset function (since there is always ghosting on AMD or NV with MS off) and that this necessary feature is not working with AMD GPUs. Unfortunatelly I switched to AMD GPU believing to what people here say (turn motion smoothing off, cap FPS and it will be OK) but I suspect that AMD users just turn off motion smoothing because it´s broken and live with ghosting, instead of admitting that AMD GPU and steamvr are not compatible.... Other option is that I am missing something else but I am loosing any hope that I will find that "something".... Reaching stable 72Hz would also "solve" this problem (not real solution, since missing functionality would be just not needed in such case), but even with my rig I am unable to keep steady and stable 72Hz even on lowest settings.... so I will have to consider either going back to 2D or switch again to Nvidia.... 😕 Really hopeless story.......

This! 

I had a 6900XT when it was released. Compared to the 3090 it had even slightly better rasterization power. BUT: I've experienced the same problems with motion reprojection. 

Until now, AMD didn't fix this at all. That's the reason why I switched back to NV. Don't get me wrong, there is no NV-fanboyism involved here, but the inability of AMD to fix the drivers kinda sucks. That's the reason why I am not holding my breath for the new generation too although I strongly wish that they would fix it. The 7900XTX would look like the way to go with the current price tag. But not with that huge issue. 

Here is the old topic where we discussed this issue:

Edited by exil
Looked up the old topic

GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - 64Gb RAM - Win11 - HP Reverb G1 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (40cm extension) - VKB Sim T-Rudder MKIV Pedals

3 hours ago, exil said:

This! 

I had a 6900XT when it was released. Compared to the 3090 it had even slightly better rasterization power. BUT: I've experienced the same problems with motion reprojection. 

Until now, AMD didn't fix this at all. That's the reason why I switched back to NV. Don't get me wrong, there is no NV-fanboyism involved here, but the inability of AMD to fix the drivers kinda sucks. That's the reason why I am not holding my breath for the new generation too although I strongly wish that they would fix it. The 7900XTX would look like the way to go with the current price tag. But not with that huge issue. 

Sadly I concur

Smoothening, Reprojection, ASW etc… is a write off 

There are ways around this, but they have been discussed in this thread 

Additionally there is OpenXR Toolkit TURBO mode that might be worth a try. However, if you can dial in your windows settings by getting rid of all the crappy background processes, overclock, you can find your zen - or something that is close to it. I just deal with a bit of ghosting but much better clarity 

For the price in DCS, AMD runs away. But you gotta deal with the BS. Two steps forward one step back every few weeks, but it’s on the right path  AMD is no longer broke and their driver/software suite is getting better 

The Bourgeois… I mean Varjo owners; at the moment do not have any way to repro and all of them have 4090 supercomputers.  They deal

Edited by nikoel
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, exil said:

This! 

Hi, that old thread is two years old. So it makes no sense to wait for "fix" from AMD. There are also post on another forums, reddit etc. with same result - no solution for weeks, months years. AMD and SteamVR is no go.

1 hour ago, Nicol21 said:

Hi, that old thread is two years old. So it makes no sense to wait for "fix" from AMD. There are also post on another forums, reddit etc. with same result - no solution for weeks, months years. AMD and SteamVR is no go.

That's why I digged it out in the first place. Nothing in regards to motion smoothing/reprojection has changed since 2! years. 

That's the reason why I don't expect it to work in the 7000 series. 

But I hope I will be proven wrong in December. 

GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - 64Gb RAM - Win11 - HP Reverb G1 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (40cm extension) - VKB Sim T-Rudder MKIV Pedals

• 1 month later...

As I wrote above, Im still using 22.3 driver.

Tested all more recent (recommended and optional) drivers and all had (micro) stutters, whereas 22.3 didnt have them. Tested 22.11 for a few days now, but went back to 22.3 once more for the same reason.

I was hoping 7900XTX, which should double my 6800XTs fps, could resolve the need for capping fps to 45/47fps or using reprojection for me.

But then Id have to upgrade my drivers. If those would also with the newer GPU have to micro-stutters, that would be very annoying.

Since there seems to be no progress in AMD-divers with regards to VR, I will for sure hold off buying a new GPU.

Nvidia is aksing unjustified high prices and AMD only offers poor VR-compatibility. Might as well stay with what I have.

Edited by Wali763

37 minutes ago, Wali763 said:

Since there seems to be no progress in AMD-divers with regards to VR

Very sad reality.  I have switched back to green team, cost a lot but now better experience.  

Well I just found this thread here and I just need a summary of what you guys found out because I am fighting with settings for almost 2 Years.

I run a 6900XT and a 5800X3D in my Case with an Oculus Q2 and everytime I start DCS I think about, how to get a smoother experience.

What frustrates me the most is the motion Smoothing from Oculus like ASW. It works pretty fine and everything (Enviroment, Buildings, Trees....) will get very smooth except other Planes, the Carrier Crew, Vehicles etc etc. when passing by.

So when I read in this thread I conclude that this is an AMD related Problem. Would I use a 3090 for example I would get a smooth experience at all with ASW tuned on?

Is this correct?

If I could run the game with ASW on I could safe so much FPS and I would be able to crank up my settings and DCS would finally look beautifull.

Edit: If I remember the time befor I got the AMD Card the motion smoothing with my old 1070 worked much better. Could really be possible...  But back than I had other problems with this old grumpy card. 😄

Edited by RoboHackfeld

• 2 months later...

Hi.

Just a brief report from my side.

@roboHackfeld Using any kind of repro jection like ASW will give you some kind of jitter, mostly visible on planes flying past you close by.

Nevertheless:

A month ago I changed my 6800Xt for a 6950XT, that I got a great price on. I expected something like a 15% increase in fps, that did not materialize in benachmarks like 3dmark. Its more 10%. That at first made me a bit sad tbo.

But then I tried to go for full 90fps in DCS and lowered all my settings. Now I only have vis range to high and textures to med. Shadows on low and OpenXR set to only 45% (which is kind of the resolution of my G2 anyway).

That said, Im very positivly surprised, since Im getting (maybe with the help of my 5800X3D) for the most part those 90fps and therefore a really smooth ride. Especially in the scenarios I usually play (A-10C on Caucasus and PG) I only drop below 90fps over larger cities and on the carrier. Syria is also ok.

Visibly, its of course a step back and the shimmering, that OpenXR "solved" for me is back. But during gameplay, this actually does not matter whereas the smooth 90fps matter big time.

Before I had nice visuals with little alialsing/shimmering at capped 45-47fps, but I still had jitters and double-vision on 3/9. But now its mostly really smooth and for me more enjoyful than before.

Asked for some rating, Id say SteamVR is a 3/10, in which case I for long preferred 2D. OpenXR capped at 45fps was a 6/10. Nice visually with some stuttering. Now Id give it at 7/10. Poor to moderate, but acceptable visuals with 98% smooth 90fps.

I not too often do MP, but the last time the experience was quite good too and maybe once multihreading comes along, this could even get better.

I really encourage people to give it a try like I did.

Im running my 6950XT with a moderate 4-5% OC (22600pts in Timespy-graphicscore in 3dmark), which should also be doable for a 6900XT.

Edited by Wali763

• 2 months later...

Has anybody gone back and forth between OPEN XR and STEAM VR with the 6900 and notice a difference in performance coming back up with Steam VR ? 

Come fly with us : https://discord.gg/tawdcs  TAW CJTF 13 - EU TZ MilSim Squadron

Ryzen 5 5600X | 32GB DDR4 3733| ASUS Radeon RX 6700 XT  | ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | HP Reverb G2 | Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle , F16 & F18 grips , TFRP Rudders |  Win 10