How to increase render/draw distance beyond extreme ?

Is it possible ?

Extreme doesn't seem very extreme to me, most mountains are just smooth green textures and then trees start to pop/fade in as you get close. I read a thread on reddit where someone said they managed to increase their draw distance for everything way beyond the extreme preset by editing or using some autoconfig file or something but their post was really vague and didn't explain what they did and I cant find any autoconfig file either.

Whilst id like to increase the render/draw distance for everything its the trees that are my biggest issue.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated :)

• Like 2

I measured the draw distance for low to extreme on buildings rendering in from of my plane in the Instant start---F18--Syria--Free flight

I used active pause on my plane just as it crossed the coast each time and used the F10 map view and DCS ruler to measure what I could see in front of me using the same reference point on the ground which was visible at each view distance setting.

Low is about 1-1.5nmnm 
High is about 2.5-3nm
Extreme is 5-6nm

The view distance even at extreme is very low for a flight sim, if you zoom in you get more distance from objects with no slow down in FPS, id like to see the scale move considerably so 
extreme is at least 20-30nm in front of me.

I think they adjusted the view distance some time back in 2020/2021 so to improve performance from DCS for VR users (of which im one)

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Hotdognz said:

I think they adjusted the view distance some time back in 2020/2021 so to improve performance from DCS for VR users (of which im one)

Since that change they have also added settings for detail rendering much like MSFS, meaning it should be possible to increase the view distance to 20-30nm without impacting performance unless one were to max all those sliders. 

1 hour ago, Nealius said:

Since that change they have also added settings for detail rendering much like MSFS, meaning it should be possible to increase the view distance to 20-30nm without impacting performance unless one were to max all those sliders. 

Where are these option in DCS, I have most maxed out and im only seeing 5-6nm distance rendering before pop in of objects.

Cheers

This is the post I was talking about in my OP

Unfortunately he has edited his post AFTER he found the solution which is quite annoying as it makes his post super vague. He talks about using autoexec (?) to overwrite the default preset values.

Maybe someone here understands what he’s done ?.

I feel like it’s definitely possible as when I watch the eagle dynamic trailers it’s very obvious they have a render distance setup is a lot further than the extreme preset.

Edited by slackpanda
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hotdognz said:

Where are these option in DCS, I have most maxed out and im only seeing 5-6nm distance rendering before pop in of objects.

The detail sliders I mentioned don't increase draw distance. I'm saying that the implementation of these new detail sliders means that ED  should be able to increase the draw distance without impacting performance, since the user can just lower the detail slider. 

• Like 2

There were changes you could make to the config lua in the main game folder at one point. I think Mustang had a mod to do it as well but I can’t locate it now.  I think it was rolled in with some other mods like haze reduction 

I tried it at the time using my old 6600k/1080 set up. Looked great. Halved performance. 

In general Syria has been hacked back and not optimised. On the highest settings building still do not fully render until you are on top of them.  

The detail sliders are pretty useless for the map too. Anything lower than 0.95 will see a noticeable drop in detail even at close range. I’ve only found them to be useful on the channel map which I feel they were developed in conjunction with where they work very well. 

EDIT   I beleive its Line 392 in the DCS/DCS (OB)/Config/Graphics.lua. Currently its 1.5 but there are threads out there saying they altered it to a vaule of 6. YMMV and your PC will not thank you!   I do not know if the mod I referred to altered other settings (marage springs to mind) within the discrete setting entires just above that line.  Its interesting to look at the entries in green too. Although theres no telling now when comments are made, it points to code changes over the years with things no longer working/obsolete. A giant game of Jenga for the Devs!

EDIT 2 - I think the autoexec.lua that some people put in their saved games folder overwrites the entries in the root graphics.lue file. There are certainly common entries in each. 

EDIT 3 - I wouldnt bother just doing the above - It has a bizarre effect on the graphics in 2.7 making objects dissappear close to the camera in certain view angles. The Performance hit is also nasty.   Cleverer people may have better solutions but the only real solution rests with the maps Devs and ED.  IMO Syria simply over reaches in terms of graphical fidelity for DCS, in its current iteration at least, and has had to be hobbled as a result. Until whatever ED have in mind for the Core improvments comes to fruition thats the top and bottom of it for now. 

This is my "positive speculative spin" based on nothing at all. (9/11 conspiracists perpare to awed by just how little fact this is based upon!)

If I were making a map that Id put a lot of developent time and money into and I possibly had a choice of making it in a way that would see it still look great (and sell) in a few years Id probably build it with some future proofing.   It means I dont have to rework models into a higher level of detail later even if Id have to compromise quite a lot initially.  And, I were of a mind to offer expansions to it down the line, given the area is highly suited to such, Ill have a viable base for a much longer period to do so . Moreover its a base in the middle of all the good stuff that effectivley sticks a big "THIS IS MINE" flag in a rather interesting corner of the virtual world. And aliens assasinated JFK.....oooops!

Edited by Boosterdog
  • Like 2

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

Try this out guys - extract the Config and MissionEditor folders to root install of DCS and allow merge/overwrite of files

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17BpEMbAXc30rSFOXN3JMkvju7sYDrFHZ/view?usp=sharing

I have created two new visibility settings within the options page of DCS -  'Ultimate' (x2 the draw distance of Extreme) and 'Insane' (4x the draw distance of Extreme)

The problem with object 'pop-in' was solved by increasing the Instancer buffer values in terrainoptions41.lua.

Edited by Mustang
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Thanks for the replys guys, it such a shame we are hobbled to really abysmal render distances for the highest settings

2 minutes ago, Mustang said:

Try this out guys - extract the Config and MissionEditor folders to root install of DCS and allow merge/overwrite of files

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17BpEMbAXc30rSFOXN3JMkvju7sYDrFHZ/view?usp=sharing

I have created two new visibility settings within the options page of DCS -  'Ultimate' (x2 the draw distance of Extreme) and 'Insane' (4x the draw distance of Extreme)

The problem with object 'pop-in' was solved by increasing the Instancer buffer values in terrainoptions41.lua.

Ill give this ago now and report back...cheers mate

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Mustang said:

Thanks Mustang, those files really help with view distance pop up especially the buildings, I settled on Ultimate and whilst it dropped my VR FPS to 30-36 (down from 45 with reprojection on) the Syria free flight was still very smooth and stable.

Its nice to have these 2 option to use 

Cheers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mustang said:

This is the "cleverer people" I wuz referring to!!  Thanks Mustang!

• Like 2

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

@Mustang Sadly even the Ultimate setting is a tad too strong for my needs (low blows over Damascus -unsurprising really - or not given im running a 3080 at 1080P) and my reliance on Vsync. Im unsure if the alteration to the terrains have an effect outside of the two new settings or if its my very tired eyes playing tricks on me but the final detail pop appears to be tamer across the board. Even if it is a placebo its a very useful banker for a future time. Thanks again. 

12 hours ago, Mustang said:

Wow thanks a lot. This is exactly what I was hoping for when making this thread !

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Went from high to insane, pretty significant difference. Too bad it kills the fps ^^, i could get used to that view

Screen_220301_132804.png

Screen_220301_131929.png

1)  Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi D4 / i9 13900K @ 5,5 Ghz / Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200 Mhz / Asus ROG Strix RTX 4090 / 2 x 4 TB SSD Samsung 870 Evo / 2 x 1 TB M.2 SSD Samsung 980 Pro / Meta Quest Pro

2)  Asus ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming / i9 10900K @ 4,9 Ghz / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200 Mhz / Asus ROG Strix RTX 3090 / 1 TB SSD Samsung 870 Evo / 500 GB M.2 SSD Samsung 980 Pro / HP Reverb G2

4 hours ago, Phil C6 said:

Hi is it working for the camo and afterburner distance?

In dogfight afterburner texture and camo texture seem disappear at certain distance and it make lost visual

Best regards

Hi, thx Nick_17,

meant by day time while following plane in altitude after a short distance separation it seems the afterburner and camo texture disappear and so as the sky is dark in altitude it's easy to lost visual, specially with F16

Best regards

On 1/11/2022 at 9:41 PM, Mustang said:

Thanks for the addition Mustang, great work!!, I wonder if something like that could be done with the clouds?, I mean, do you know any way to increase the clouds detail and/or draw distance beyond the actual one?. Thanks again!

Edited by Ala12Rv-watermanpc
  • Like 1

Take a look at my MODS here

4 hours ago, Ala12Rv-watermanpc said:

Thanks for the addition Mustang, great work!!, I wonder if something like that could be done with the clouds?, I mean, do you know any way to increase the clouds detail and/or draw distance beyond the actual one?. Thanks again!

Bump the Farclip in graphics.lua up to around 300000 from the default 150000 for your chosen visibility setting, that'll push the render distance out further.

Edited by Mustang
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2022 at 9:41 PM, Mustang said:

Hi Mustang, your file is no longer available.

Could you explain which files you modified to expand visible range ?

Thanks !

ROG Maximus XI Hero / i9-9900k @5Ghz / 32Gb DDR4 @3200Mhz / Samsung 960 Pro M.2 / RTX2080ti / Vive Pro / ROG 3440x1440

On 3/22/2022 at 12:38 PM, Mustang said:

Thank you very much !

Also, I'm sorry but I lost your "Caucasus terrain mod" files and the link is dead for downloading it again...

If you could do something about that... Thanks !

ROG Maximus XI Hero / i9-9900k @5Ghz / 32Gb DDR4 @3200Mhz / Samsung 960 Pro M.2 / RTX2080ti / Vive Pro / ROG 3440x1440

• 2 months later...
On 3/22/2022 at 11:38 AM, Mustang said:

Hi Mustang.

I recently reinstalled DCS and tried to get this working again by copying those folders into the DCS folder and overwriting necessary files however when i launch i now get some kind of shaders error message. Previously it worked fine although i think i only ever used your original version (not this updated versioin) which had only 2 folders to copy.\

Any idea why this mod you made might not work anymore ?

• Like 1