Paddles on the Essex?

Stearmandriver

Hello, 

Like everyone, I'm getting excited for the upcoming Corsair.  Carrier ops are one of the most interesting things to me in DCS, and so I got to wondering: has any thought been given to the implementation of an LSO on the Essex?  

I recognize that implementing such a thing might require breaking new ground in DCS, and resources are limited, so please don't see this as a demand or a criticism if it won't be done. I'm just curious.  By all accounts, the poor forward visibility of the Corsair in landing attitude meant that the pilot was very dependent on the LSO once rolling out in the groove, so trying to make this happen without any help oughta be interesting!  😉

Really looking forward to these modules (Corsair and Essex); beautiful work guys. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As am I. I too am quite interested in whether or not M3 has given any thought to attempting to develop some type of LSO for the carrier. I have seen a few different styles in the past and none of them really helped much - which is not hard to understand given the limitations of our hardware at home. In any case, I am really looking forward to this particular module.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

We don't have any crew yet,  but we thought about utlizing the IFOILS Argument Numbers to drive Paddle's Arms and Legs

• Like 8

https://magnitude-3.com/

https://www.facebook.com/magnitude3llc

https://www.youtube.com/@magnitude_3

i9 13900K, 128GB RAM, RTX 4090, Win10Pro, 2 x 2TB SSD

i9 10980XE, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090Ti, Win10 Pro, 2 x 256GB SSD, 4 x 512GB SSD RAID 0, 6 x 4TB HDD RAID 6, 9361-8i RAID Controller

i7 4960X, 64GB RAM, GTX Titan X Black, Win10 Pro, 512GB PCIe SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD

I believe that the issue could be 2 fold, 1) the path that you use from the IFOLS is straight out behind the arresting area and the path that we would probably be flying in the Corsair would be more of a curved approach and 2) I see a problem with being able to see the LSO if he is modeled to scale. Sure, one could zoom in on him enough to see him and what he is doing with his arms and legs but possibly/probably to the detriment of continuing to accurately control your approach, which could be hazardous when close in. I'm not saying it can't be done, I just think that there will be some interesting challenges associated with it. I can't wait to see what you all come up with. The depiction of the IFOLS on the screen when the Super Carrier first came out was really interesting and I hope you give the armchair aviator the flexibility to choose to use your solution or not. I am so looking forward to seeing how/if you do this!! 👍

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 1/13/2022 at 8:51 AM, -Rudel- said:

We don't have any crew yet,  but we thought about utlizing the IFOILS Argument Numbers to drive Paddle's Arms and Legs

What would be cool is to use the coding for the IFOILS and long range light up lights to animate a paddles crewman and make him an overlay like the IFOILS.  For VR this would be a real lifesaver.  Don't know if something like that has ever been done for a WWII carrier sim.

• Like 1

i9 10900KF 3.70GHz (5.30GHz Turbo), MSI RTX 4090 OC 24GB, ASUS Z590-E GAMING Motherboard, CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, 2TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, Virpil Alpha Joystick, T-50CM3 Throttle, MFG Xwind rudder pedals, Pimax Crystal VR.

That's exactly what I had in mind.  Since the SuperCarrier already has the approaching aircraft values, I wonder how hard it would be to modify the module to an Essex carrier size then take the telemetry and incorporate it into an overlay like above?

• Like 1

i9 10900KF 3.70GHz (5.30GHz Turbo), MSI RTX 4090 OC 24GB, ASUS Z590-E GAMING Motherboard, CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, 2TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, Virpil Alpha Joystick, T-50CM3 Throttle, MFG Xwind rudder pedals, Pimax Crystal VR.

I don't know for sure if it'd be any easier, but I'd honestly be fine with a gruff sounding fellow telling me the commands vocally without visual paddles.  Not as cool, but probably much easier to get into a 'ready out the door' sort of state.  Just please let us change the sounds so that I can make it my wife screaming bloody murder at me.

• Like 1

"Bismarck", the youtuber talks about this in this video. Watch from 23:45 for example. Start 22:45 for everything(?) LSO this video.

Edited by -0303-
  • Like 2

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

• 2 months later...