AI broken long range missile logic, wont engage anything past ~30NM (Affects all versions of the Phoenix, R33, and R40 at least)

Chenstrap

This issue persists across multiple aircraft with multiple missiles. I first noticed this when messing around with 1v1 engagements and the AI would only launch on me around the time I was hitting Rmax for an AMRAAM shot (That was hornet vs Tomcat and Mig 31).

I setup a few test missions, and ALL of the long range platforms are not taking shots past around 30 nautical miles. The setup is simple: Both shooter and target aircraft are set at 32,000 feet and max speed. Target aircraft I have tested are fighters but most notably large, fast aircraft such as B1, TU22, TU160 ETC that these jets were basically built to obliterate. Target aircraft are set to not attempt to evade in any way

Simply put, these are juicy parameters and F14s should be shooting ~100NM Aim 54s at these targets, and I am sure the Mig 31 and Mig 25 would be able to take some long shots with this setup as well. But, all 3 aircraft all launch at basically the same point, 30 nautical miles. A keynote as well, is the heatblur Phoenix will not launch at all. Only the old phoneix from the original AI F14 launches

I also tested a couple other aircraft. The F15 shoots an AMRAAM at 40 Nautical miles, The Mirage 2000 a Super 530 at about 32NM, A J11 launches an R27ER at about 30nm as well.

I have attached the mission file and a track file below

Long Range Missile Test.miz Long Range Track.trk

19 hours ago, Chenstrap said:

…A J11 launches an R27ER at about 30nm as well.

This last, at least, is just about right. The J-11/Su-27 AI launches just slightly under RMax1 as I often do. Depending on speed and altitude, I and they usually launch somewhere between 55 & 60 km.

There are definitely problems elsewhere, though.

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

2 minutes ago, Ironhand said:

This last, at least, is just about right. The J-11/Su-27 AI launches just slightly under RMax1 as I often do. Depending on speed and altitude, I and they usually launch somewhere between 55 & 60 km.

Sorry, didnt mean to imply the AMRAAM/R27 were also bugged.

I was more using that as an example that the AI are launching these long range missiles (Phoenix, R33, R40) at the same range of the medium range missiles (R27, Aim 120) and in some cases theyre launching the medium range missiles from further out

This issue has been reported elsewhere too. You can search for the old thread for additional tracks and examples.

7 hours ago, Ironhand said:

While the R-27/AMRAAM/SD-10 all work better than the longer range missiles, I think it might be worth revisiting the AI login on them too. The AI can sometimes do weird things when at extreme speeds and altitudes. For instance, as I posted in another recent thread, I was exploring the R-33 and I noticed that when the MiG-31 has an altitude advantage it will dive before firing, which makes on sense. I later swapped the MiG-31 for a Su-27. It would wait until 30 miles to fire ER's even if flying at Mach 2 at 50000 ft. These missiles would impact at something like 2500 knots, and so could be fired much much further away. The AI needs to be able to handle non typical situations for the sake of mission variety, or the only engagements that will play out well in single player missions will be ~500 knot 30k ft engagements.

• Like 1

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Both the R-33 and the Phoenix need tweaking.

AI long range shots no longer exist.

On top of that the R-33 now has a top speed of around 3000 kmh - should be around 4300 kmh.

Plus the continuing issue of the F14B and GRC AI missiles not showing on the Su-27/33 MFD
Phoenixes from the F14A AI DO show on the Su-27/33 MFD

Edited by BrzI