A Case For The ME-410.

FlankerKiller

Maybe I'm overly fond of the twin engine fighter bomber. But we need some more German air to ground in DCS, and this plane could give us that. There were just over a thousand ME-410s built in the mid part of the war. They were used for everything from tank busting to bomber intercept. And honestly it's just a cool plane. It can dive bomb, it had a rotary air to air rocket launcher. It had modular armament, and a metric tone of it. It could mount a 50mm Canon. It has remote gun turrets. It's a true dive bomber. While IRL the allies didn't have to contend with much close air support. This is a simulation. And it was certainly possible that if the luftwaffe had been able to field a credible challenge for air superiority in 1944, that this would have been used against the allies in France. It's got the armament, the speed, and decent defensive capability. It's multi engine, and multi crew. It was used in many roles. It has a very interesting cockpit layout. All in all I believe it would be a truly great module for DCS.   

• Like 2

I really enjoyed the German twins back when my main flight sim was Il-2FB. The modded version was great fun online and I usually took the Me-410 when it was available. I also quite enjoyed the Me-210, Hs-129B, Ju-88, He-111, Dornier bombers and the variants of Bf-110 as well. I used the Me-410 mostly as a fighter in mid war scenarios and as a fighter-bomber in late war scenarios. Load her up with her standard 20mm and 13mm cannon/gun armament with additional cannon/gun armament in the form of the 30mm MK-103's in the weapons bay and belly mounted 20mm tray and you could cut through bombers like a hot knife through butter and vaporize fighters with a single burst of fire. It was great fun back in the day.

Edited by Vampyre

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

The rare use of the Ju88, 110 and 410 as a dusk, night intruder over Britain seems to be a missed opportunity. Harassing late dusk landing B17s, and night Lancasters was very successful the rare times the Luftwaffe attempted it. It seems the German high command wanted as many allied aircraft falling over Germany though for morale purposes.

Ahh yes the mod on IL2. We are not going to talk about the hours that I spent on that thing. And yes dusk harassing attacks on allied bases would be oh so fun. Not to mention in a scenario where the luftwaffe didn't lose air superiority, because this is a game and the Germans don't always have to lose, it could really shine as a ground attacker. As mentioned above it has a lot of combinations of firepower. Fast attacks against tactical targets, and allied air bases would be an absolute blast. Not to mention dive bombing on ships. IRL it really was the best candidate to replace the ju-87 if the roof waffle had not lost their superiority. But once air superiority was lost there was really no chance for any ground attacker, or heavy fighter, to survive. Hell even though back with 190 we have with jettison is bomb load and just try to dog fight its way out of a situation once allied fighter showed up. The fact that the mosquito was so successful proves this aircraft could have been successful, had it been operating in truly contested airspace or in airspace for its Air Force had air superiority. Again I truly believe that this would be an amazing aircraft in DCS. It fits the bill in so many ways, it has an absolute buttload of missions it can fly, it's different than just another single seat fighter, and it's got a lot of features that make it absolutely unique and interesting. The only reason I could see it not being a good investment is because it's not world famous the way the mentorship and the FW are.