Viggen AI performance

howie87

So I just ran a number of tests flying the F-16 against the viggen AI in different scenarios and made the following observations.

The AI viggen leaves the F-16 (and every other module) standing still in terms of acceleration in all flight regimes (slow subsonic to supersonic) at both low and high altitudes. Considering it weighs 36,242 lb Vs the Vipers 26,500 lb and makes 28,000 lb of thrust Vs 29,500 lb for the Viper, the performance seems way off. It behaves like it has 10,000lb more thrust and also doesn't bleed much energy while turning, which results in sustained turn rates approaching the F-16's.

I will run some more tests this evening and try to post a track but has anyone else experienced this? 

Edited by howie87
  • Thanks 1

I don't have any direct knowledge of this but it's not surprising.  The AI jets in DCS currently use simplified flight models, which I don't believe are fundamentally linked to the laws of physics, but are based on lookup tables of acceleration. 

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."