Trouble with BK-90 codes (92x000); they don't appear to do anything

Nealius

I've been trying the BK-90s as per the steps in Chuck's Guide and, while I can hit things, the three footprint codes don't appear to be working as advertised. Releasing in series on a target point over flat ground with target QFE properly set, mode set to STD, codes entered in TAKT as "92x000" then pressing LS/SKU with the input/output switch set to input. Everything as instructed in the guide.

I understand 921000 to be a long pattern. 922000 to be a wide pattern. 923000 to be a compact pattern. 

However, when I try these codes, all three patterns are long patterns of roughly the same length and width. I see no visible difference between 922 and 923, which both lay a stick with the first impact point on the waypoint. 921 brackets the waypoint, but still lays a stick of the same length and width as 922 and 923.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Qey0OVi.png

vo4FnWG.png

yspNDEn.png

I think your problem here is setting it to STD. STD will set it to the standard value which is 921. I just tested it in VALB and the codes work as expected.

Viggen is love. Viggen is life.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-10700K @ 5GHz | RTX 2070 OC | 32GB 3200MHz RAM |

STD/VALB is for setting the weapon approach (glide) height, according to both the Heatlbur manual and Chuck's Guide. The latter has a note saying VALB was disabled 08DEC20 and that STD should be used. The manuals imply that STD/VALB is completely independent of the footprint codes (92x), so they shouldn't be interacting with each other. Rather, the manuals do not say that STD will set footprint code to default 921. They only say that STD will set weapon approach height to default 60m. VALB, prior to being disabled, would have allowed 100/200/500m approach heights via 91x codes.

Edited by Nealius

Give it a go, see if it makes the codes work. 🙂
Because they definitely work for myself with that setup. Might not be correct, but that's a different problem.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

According to THE manual, that switch should have no effect on the Bk90's. That does not however seem to be the case currently, because it very much does.

I'll add this to the tracker.

Below shows the switches that affect the weapon functions.

.image.png

Edited by MYSE1234

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 1/12/2022 at 10:14 AM, Nealius said:

STD/VALB is for setting the weapon approach (glide) height, according to both the Heatlbur manual and Chuck's Guide. The latter has a note saying VALB was disabled 08DEC20 and that STD should be used. The manuals imply that STD/VALB is completely independent of the footprint codes (92x), so they shouldn't be interacting with each other. Rather, the manuals do not say that STD will set footprint code to default 921. They only say that STD will set weapon approach height to default 60m. VALB, prior to being disabled, would have allowed 100/200/500m approach heights via 91x codes.

Finally find it in the old trash can.

Actually I think it is a relatively new discussion. I recall there were some even before this.

Actually it is INDEED the problem of the outdated RC2 manual.

Although the question about the release pattern is solved, but the manual DO reads that the glide altitude can be set through the VALB switch and the 91xxxxx code, both on manual p343 and the weapon chart. While in the game it is impossible.

I don't know how hb treats this, is this considered as a "bug" or a "feature"

if it is a bug, it should be fixed

if it's a feature, the manual should be changed

On 1/18/2022 at 10:16 AM, IDontLikeBigbrother said:

Actually it is INDEED the problem of the outdated RC2 manual.

Although the question about the release pattern is solved, but the manual DO reads that the glide altitude can be set through the VALB switch and the 91xxxxx code, both on manual p343 and the weapon chart. While in the game it is impossible.

I don't know how hb treats this, is this considered as a "bug" or a "feature"

if it is a bug, it should be fixed

if it's a feature, the manual should be changed

I have submitted a bug report to HB.

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

58 minutes ago, Nealius said:

Which bug is reported? VALB not changing approach height, or STD interfering with Bk90 dispersal pattern?

Both

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 7 months later...
On 8/26/2022 at 5:30 PM, Nealius said:

Still appears to be broken. STD selected with 922000 wide pattern programmed, the munitions execute a long pattern instead. 

Think you Will be good if you just typ 92x (x for being 1, 2 or 3) instead of typing in the 92x with the additional zeros added to it

On 8/26/2022 at 8:30 AM, Nealius said:

Still appears to be broken. STD selected with 922000 wide pattern programmed, the munitions execute a long pattern instead. 

I just ran a single player mission about 9 times, testing codes 921, 922, 923, 921, 922, 923, 921000, 922000, and 923000.  Each time, I set up the weapons, launched, and then watched in F6 view overhead to see the flight paths and dispersal patterns, then ejected and respawned.  I didn't find anything unusual with the weapon employment.  The patterns always matched my inputs.  (Although after about 6 respawns my altimeter QFE setting went to 300 something, but it only affected my release queues, not weapon performance).  I can provide the track if you want.  But do you have a track showing that it doesn't work?

Edit: Just reread your comment and I think I missed your point.  You're not saying 922000 doesn't work, you're saying STD shouldn't disable it, right?  I ran all my cases in VALB.  So my test was probably not relevant to your post.

Edited by Machalot
Addendum
  • Like 1

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

• 8 months later...

The approach height feature was disabled when we switched our BK-90 guidance system from custom to EDs. Latter is unfortunately lacking such a feature.

I'm not aware that they added it by now.

As for the STD switch and the pattern selection, thanks for reporting. Will be looking into it!

@TOViperCould you add in the manual that 91xxxx & STD/VALB for BK-90 (approach height) is disabled / no function at the moment? Or just remove the section entirely for now, to prevent confusion for future users 🙂

Edited by Zabuzard

9 hours ago, Zabuzard said:

Fixed the issue with the STD switch and 91xxxx codes internally. Should be in an upcoming patch 🙂

Hey Zaburard, I am a little confused now, thus I am asking: Does this mean the codes 91xxxx can be used and approach height works after the next patch?

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

Hey Zaburard, I am a little confused now, thus I am asking: Does this mean the codes 91xxxx can be used and approach height works after the next patch?
Sorry for the confusion, typo.

After the patch that contains this fix, the codes for the attack profile (compact, wide, long patterns) can be used in STD and VALB, instead of only VALB.

The codes for the approach height are disabled and remain disabled for now. (Some time ago we switched from a custom guidance to ED guidance, which doesnt support changing heights afaik)
  • Like 1