AA TACAN not working, any plane.

Coding

• ED Team
On 1/28/2022 at 2:56 PM, ac5 said:

But hey, I am no programmer.....

15 hours ago, ac5 said:

This has nothing to do with older missions.

I have spoken with the dev, he needs to add some regression checking for changes that were made so older missions continue to work correctly, we should see improvement soon if things go to plan.

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I never followed why DCS had the A-A TACAN functioning the way it did.  IRL I NEVER had bearing information using the TACAN in A-A mode between any A-A platforms (other fighters or tankers), just range against another platform on the same X or Y and separated by 63 channels from my own.  The TACAN plan generally allowed you to have a setup for a 4 ship (2xpairs) to range within each pair and between the two pairs by switching X to Y. For example, 29X, 92Y, 92X, 29Y for numbers 1,2,3,4 in a formation would give everyone the range between pairs (useful on a contra rotating CAP) but by switching your X to Y or vice versa you could range within your own pair quickly.

• Like 6

Well, thank you Frederf for your Long-long-long explanation,

But the fact remains that the bug was introduced with the Stable update DCS 2.7.9.18080.

Before that, I had performed countless missions in whose one had to engage AA TACAN mode in order to tune the Tanker.

But hey, now I have given a different frequency to the Supercarrier (1X) and the Tanker (2X) in my missions,

and as long as one does not engage AA-TACAN mode, everything works for both. 

So really not dramatic, but nevertheless something that has to be addressed by ED..........

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

I know and it's as you say. I was responding to the comment about more research about behavior. ED obviously has interest in more than just putting it back the way it was (which had minor oddities despite functionality) but with as much confidence as possible making it accurate to not have to revisit.

To that end I had read into details before but not retained it. There were pulses and timings but the picture didn't come together until yesterday. And after going through the effort of understanding and summarizing for myself I should also share. Simply reading the primary docs did not seem clear on the first dozen passes.

There are flying TACAN stations with bearing. They are less common but they do exist in KC-135 form.

ATP-56(a) is a useful NATO joint document that covers Air to Air Refuelling. There is a Nov 2000 version readily accessible through a google search. A more modern version (2013) can be found by searching for ATP-3.3.4.2 as the NATO doctrine people changed the way pubs were numbered.  You could probably find an even later version if you look for it. The Annexes in Part 2 Chapter 10 (or Chapter 5 in the later version) spell out the capabilities of the different tankers. Some do have bearing capability (and a subset of those reference depending on receivers capability), but the vast majority do not. My experience was through the '90s and I never received a bearing from a tanker through A-A Tacan, even from those types listed on those annexes as having the capability. That may have changed since my time.

• Thanks 1

This is all very interesting, but what are you implying?....

Engaging AA TACAN mode instead of solely T/R mode to find the the Tanker has always, since ages, being wrong in DCS?

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

Hey Guys,

hope can help me.

Is there any function or knob i got to turn ON so that the Distance/Range to Tanker for A-A Refuelling will be shown in the EHSI in TACAN-Mode?

I already read any available manuals or watched every Step for Step Video on youtube but nothing helped so far..

THX already for your help!

Just sayin.... 

This was not corrected in todays update to DCS 2.7.10.19473 Stable version.

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

• 2 months later...

And so it does on the last stable version.....

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

This should really be patched via hotfix.

A/A Tacan is a crucial part of this game and needs to be fixed asap.

• Like 1

System: 7800X3D / Asus RTX 4090 OC / 64GB 3600mhz / Pimax Crystal / VKB GF3 Ultimate

Indeed... And even more so, because the bug was introduced with the Stable update DCS 2.7.9.18080.

Before that, I had performed countless missions in whose one had to engage AA TACAN mode in order to tune the Tanker 

or other airborne units.....

• Like 1

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

• 3 weeks later...