GPU swap

I have a Gigabyte 3080 OC (non Ti) in white, I hate it color my PC is black, I posted on FB market place asking if someone would be willing to swap.  I guy just contacted me with a AsRock 6900XT in black looking for a white GPU.   Should I swap with him?  We are meeting at the Best Buy Geek Squad Counter, I'm bring my entire PC to show my and test his GPU

There's other users in the forums that have had both models or tested them against each other, they may be more specific and helpful. 

The way I see it, you may find it a good or bad deal, solely depending on perspective and preferences.

If you're not too fussed about specific driver features and interface (AMD has its quirks), and gaming in 1440P, swapping to the RX6900XT is going to be good.
But if you're too used to Nvidia drivers and features, and gaming in 4K or triple-screens, then you're probably going to regret it later.

Specifically for DCS World, Nvidia generally works better than AMD, but then the increase in VRAM (16GB in RX6900XT instead of 10GB in RTX3080) can be very welcome. 

Edited by LucShep

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

If your use case is mostly DCS, suggest you go to the BB counter with a DCS track file that you can replay for each GPU with your preferred settings and then compare the GPU frame times. This would give you a sense for whether the increased VRAM is going to be helpful.

I had the RX 6800 XT under triple 27" at 7680x1440 and switched back to Nvidia (RTX 3080) as it gave only 10% benefit (barely) over my previous GTX 1080 TI. The RTX is appr. 50% faster.

But LucShep is right, up to 1x 1440p the RX was much faster compared to the GTX. The 6900 is better but I believe not that much. So it depends on what your favorite resolution is and if you also play other games. Here YT has enough direct comparison videos.

I personally wouldn't do it. I would turn the case around not to see the white card anymore 😉

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4080 OC, Windows 10 64bit Home Premium, TrackIR 5 with TrackClip: Pro!, Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base + TM Warthog Stick + 7cm extension + WINWING Orion 2 with F-15EX grips, Cougar MFDs with 8" displays, Saitek Rudder Pedals, Samsung Odyssey G9 49" 5120x1440 @120 Hz

Yea, I turned it around so I wouldn't have to look at it as soon as I put it together.  I asked the same question on DCS Facebook groups, you wouldn't believe the idiots who have responded and gotten into arguments.....It would be a straight swap, this guy is looking for a white GPU and I want a black one, I have never owned a Radeon Card, I've had nothing but Nvidia, just looking at GPU rankings and the Clock speeds and total Vram seems like the 6900 is a better card.  I wasn't looking to buy a new GPU so I haven't paid any attention to how they preform in the real world. 

Like Lucshep stated. For up to 1440p the AMD card will be better and faster in DCS. However for some reason, (I personally suspect memory bus width), The Nvidia card will be better at higher resolution or if your using a multi monitor setup. 

I know I tried to play DCS at 4k using a 6800xt. It was ok but too many random stutter when flying low level or landing. So I switched to 1440p a resolution that the 6800xt just excels at and its superior clock speed comes into play.

• Like 1