Counter measures.

FlankerKiller

I truly love the C-101, but I am no expert on it, so question. It was introduced in 1980 and was a light attack jet. Nothing without countermeasures could survive over a battlefield in 1980. Was there ever a version of the c101 that carried countermeasures, an rwr, or both? The reason I ask is flying it in a 1980 scenario against anyone would be suicide without countermeasures. It's an interesting little light attack jet they can even be filled in an anti shipping role. But again the lack of countermeasures in rwr basically relegates it to suicide duty.

• Like 1

Actually, the C101EB was introduced as a jet trainer.  There was some limited interest in a low budget recon/attack aircraft which resulted in the CC.  Yes, I am skipping some history here but that's the basic back story.

The C101 was never designed or sold as a serious contender in a hot war.  As for anti-shipping, I believe the role was tested on the CC but no C101 was ever actually deployed with anti shipping capability. 

The C101 is an excellent training platform and it can do light border patrol/ recon/ smuggler interdiction but you are correct that taking it into a combat zone where missles fly would be a suicide mission.

• Like 2

On 1/14/2022 at 11:24 PM, FlankerKiller said:

I truly love the C-101, but I am no expert on it, so question. It was introduced in 1980 and was a light attack jet. Nothing without countermeasures could survive over a battlefield in 1980. Was there ever a version of the c101 that carried countermeasures, an rwr, or both? The reason I ask is flying it in a 1980 scenario against anyone would be suicide without countermeasures. It's an interesting little light attack jet they can even be filled in an anti shipping role. But again the lack of countermeasures in rwr basically relegates it to suicide duty.

There is a version that carried RWR, and Radar, and Flares/Chaff, it was called C101DD, It sold an amazing amount of 0 units, hence, the project was cancelled and I think it only exists one on Airbus factory. 

And, the CC variant carried a chaff/flare dispenser, but I think it was more a testing thing, anyway, it would be nice to have.

• Like 2