Varjo Aero: Opinion

Brainfreeze

I like:

Very good GUI / integration (Varjo Base) with destop/workspace in VR and easy switching between destop and vr application view within the Headset

Very wide sweetspot.  No need to move your head around anymore to read dials / find buttons.  Just move your eyes. Everything is sharp except the very edge of the display.

Superb resolution + clarity.

Auto IPD measurment

Fans...no fogging

FOV: similar to G2 but everything is sharp

I like less

Find it less comfortable than G2 on my head.

No integrated audio so need to have separate headphones ... more wires + more difficult to remove headset.

IMPORTANT!:  To get the correct visual experience and comfort you need to take some time finding how to wear the headset. initially it tends to lean too much on your cheekbones... bad for visual and very bad for comfort.  I found that the best is to place the neck rest low on the head, then adjust the forehead pad to have the lenses in the middle of your view and then tilt the headset to have it AWAY from your face, ie.not on the nose and not on the cheekbones.   If it slips after a fierce dogfight and you feel it on the cheekbones or nose, pull the back/neck pad down again.   

I found this helped a lot not just with comfort but also with visuals/distortions.

Conclusion: Did think about possibly returning it after a week, but after another week using it everything came together and there is no way i'd go back to my old friend G2.  Visuals are so much better, spotting distant aircrafts or ground vehicles is soooo much easier and natural. Comfort is now really good too.

Edited by Brainfreeze
  • Like 6

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

How is performance in fps compared to your G2.  Did you notice any significant distortion with DCS?

I plan to use this (just the top part) with the Aero for extra fit and comfort.  Works great with my Vive Pro2. https://www.studioformcreative.com/product-page/htc-vive-pro-1-2-counter-balance-enthusiast-kit

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

awesome, got my preorder and eagerly awaiting it! 

can you describe in more detail your first point? being able to switch to desktop view in VR is pretty important to me, I can use the system button on my index to access my desktop via steamvr right now, how is it performed in the aero? 

I910900K, 4090, 32gb,Varjo Aero, no compromises: all VR all the time. 

1 hour ago, Supmua said:

How is performance in fps compared to your G2.  Did you notice any significant distortion with DCS?

for the time being there is no reprojection avail with the aero so hard to compare apples with oranges but have not noticed any issues.  Have not run an avg fps count but everything has been smooth

1 minute ago, DavePastry said:

awesome, got my preorder and eagerly awaiting it! 

can you describe in more detail your first point? being able to switch to desktop view in VR is pretty important to me, I can use the system button on my index to access my desktop via steamvr right now, how is it performed in the aero? 

button on the headset brings a small menu in vr where you can switch between app (so DCS.exe and Workspace). Workspace is the varjio home where you can see your screens.

Btw...Aero uses two screens and  your video card likely only supports 4 monitors so if, like me, u have 3 monitors then you need to turn one off to use the Aero

• Like 2

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

Given I have  G2 and 2080ti FTW3 and OC'd 9900k I am still thinking I will not see better or even the same FPS as my current G2. Does this sound about right? I want more clarity and wider sweet spot with no shimmer around edges anymore but not if I cant get more than 20-25fps. If I could grab a 3090 for decent price I would.

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

Users with older cards have actually reduced the resolution on the varjo to get better fps.  That way you still get superb sweet spot and resolution is still really good anyway.

On my side I believe fps is about same with G2 or Aero.

11 minutes ago, Brainfreeze said:

Users with older cards have actually reduced the resolution on the varjo to get better fps.  That way you still get superb sweet spot and resolution is still really good anyway.

On my side I believe fps is about same with G2 or Aero.

Ya I thought I would have to turn res down which stinks. But is the overall experience really that much better than the G2? I mean if it is night and day in the color, clarity, sharpness, sweet spot and no more shimmer or ghosting then I am in. No matter what I cant get rid of ghosting even turning settings way down and G2 res down by half.

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

4 minutes ago, BMGZ06 said:

Ya I thought I would have to turn res down which stinks. But is the overall experience really that much better than the G2? I mean if it is night and day in the color, clarity, sharpness, sweet spot and no more shimmer or ghosting then I am in. No matter what I cant get rid of ghosting even turning settings way down and G2 res down by half.

I would not call it night and day.  To me the main benefit is that no matter where your eyes look the image is sharp and no fogging of lenses. The rest is software and not sure the headset will do much about it.

8 hours ago, unlikely_spider said:

Man, a big sweet spot sounds, well, sweet.

But this is the headset that is almost $2k US, right? ☹️

And with no built-in audio or controllers? (So added cost to current WMR users who need to buy base-station+controllers?)

Yep.  But you don't have to buy it if you don't want to. 🤪🤣.    G2 is an excelent product and indeed super good value for money.  Only drawback is tiny tiny sweet spot and WMR's inferior integration (compared to Varjo Base)

I just cant wait for them, or actually I can for a couple of weeks as I will leave for work. But after that, I cant wait any more.

I did my order the same day they opened for orders to Sweden( first part of November) so it might not be a very long wait then… 

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

15.01.2022 в 17:49, Brainfreeze сказал:

I like:

Very good GUI / integration (Varjo Base) with destop/workspace in VR and easy switching between destop and vr application view within the Headset

Very wide sweetspot.  No need to move your head around anymore to read dials / find buttons.  Just move your eyes. Everything is sharp except the very edge of the display.

Superb resolution + clarity.

Auto IPD measurment

Fans...no fogging

FOV: similar to G2 but everything is sharp

I like less

Find it less comfortable than G2 on my head.

No integrated audio so need to have separate headphones ... more wires + more difficult to remove headset.

I would like to confirm all of the above, but lack of reprojection makes this headset useless for me and I continue to fly in DCS with HP G2.

And also, for me personally, lens distortions are absolutely horrible and unacceptable for the  first couple of days. But weirdly enough after 2 or 3 days of using Aero I got used to these distortions, but still think that its not unacceptable for being a mass market product.

Edited by Maksim Savelev

1 hour ago, Maksim Savelev said:

I would like to confirm all of the above, but lack of reprojection makes this headset useless for me and I continue to fly in DCS with HP G2.

And also, for me personally, lens distortions are absolutely horrible and unacceptable for the  first couple of days. But weirdly enough after 2 or 3 days of using Aero I got used to these distortions, but still think that its not unacceptable for being a mass market product.

The only distortion I get is slight at the very top of the image but it is not where u look naturally and so not a bother. 98% of the image is sharp and distortion free

Re reprojection... I tried out a method that works well with MSFS apparently ... max frame rate set at 31 + normal power + VR pre-rendered frames @2 all in nvidia settings... Well these settings do not seem to impact DCS fps at all.

BUT @Maksim Savelev did you try in VB ... analytics screen ... Performance tab ... 45fps or 30fps ?  For me the 45fps reduces stutter greatly.  30fps was less good at cutting stutter bizarrely.  Not a perfect solution as buildings are a bit ghosted/blurred but very smooth. A good way to wait for reprojection.

Edited by Brainfreeze

It seems their motion prediction technique will use depth buffering (like Oculus asynchronous spacewarp), it will be interesting to see how this affects fps.

My FedEx app shows label being created so the US shipment is imminent.

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

4 hours ago, Supmua said:

It seems their motion prediction technique will use depth buffering (like Oculus asynchronous spacewarp), it will be interesting to see how this affects fps.

My FedEx app shows label being created so the US shipment is eminent.

Here is to hoping mine will be in that same shipment.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

8 hours ago, dburne said:

Here is to hoping mine will be in that same shipment.

Hi

Let me know how it works out. I am sitting on the fence at the moment.  

If they use a depth buffering smoothing system it should be much better than the Steam system. You don’t get as much ghosting. This because it knows the propeller is in front of the scenery and not part of it. This prevents wobbling and distortion of the propellor or gun sights.  A real problem with the Steam system.

Thanks

Edited by Badger633
  • Like 1

F/A-18C Campaigns : The Serpent’s Head / The Serpent’s Head 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

Woohoo just got shipment notification from Fed Ex this morning, tracking number has been assigned and it is shipping out today.

Bring it on home baby! @Badger633 looking forward to playing your great campaigns again in the Aero!

Edited by dburne
  • Like 2

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

25 minutes ago, dburne said:

Woohoo just got shipment notification from Fed Ex this morning, tracking number has been assigned and it is shipping out today.

Bring it on home baby! @Badger633 looking forward to playing your great campaigns again in the Aero!

What did you do with your Reverb G2?

1 hour ago, Drac said:

What did you do with your Reverb G2?

Currently I still use it for MSFS 2020 as I get better results in that sim with Open XR and WMR. I use my Vive Pro 2 for everything else.

Hoping my Aero will allow me to get back to one headset only for all.

Don B

Do you have any issues going back and forth between headsets. I thought about using my Vive p2 wireless for the grandkids. The games they play are room scale and

the wireless is great. Then going to my Pimax for Sims. Its not so easy to go back and forth from wireless to wired on the vive

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Currently I still use it for MSFS 2020 as I get better results in that sim with Open XR and WMR. I use my Vive Pro 2 for everything else.

Hoping my Aero will allow me to get back to one headset only for all.

Edited by tkcamp

5 minutes ago, tkcamp said:

Do you have any issues going back and forth between headsets. I thought about using my Vive p2 wireless for the grandkids. The games they play are room scale and

the wireless is great. Then going to my Pimax for Sims. Its not so easy to go back and forth from wireless

No I switch between the Vive Pro 2 and Reverb G2 without issue. I just make sure the headset I am not using is unplugged from power. I use a powered USB3 Hub with individual on/off switches.  Probably when I get the Aero I will do a clean sweep of Vive Console, Steam VR, and WMR to start with a fresh slate.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/250820/discussions/2/1640917625015598552/

Edited by dburne

Don B

11 minutes ago, tkcamp said:

Thanks, I have been kicking around the Aero also. Just about to retire wondering if I can afford it? 🙂. Although I will have more time to fly

Yeah I have been retired for around 6.5 year now - it is a wonderful thing. Ironically I still wish I had even more time for flying my sims.

Don B

Hi,

Just received my new pc and VR (Stormforce 3090 and Varjo Aero). I have migrated from GTX 1080ti/Oculus Rifts system.  

Ive got the VR set up and running and it all seems fine. I can use the Varjo desktop tool no probs, its nice.

However when I run DCS, it flickers on start up and I get this weird juttery movement when I move my head around (which renders it unusable). I am using x1 SteamVR wireless basestation which I heard from VR Flight Sim Guy should be fine. Maybe this is a tracking problem, im not sure?

In DCS however the view is really clear, bright and solid. Cant wait to get it up and running properly. I cant find much help around at the moment although I have raised a support flag with Varjo.

Obviously for the price tag im expecting a helo support drop at any moment by the Varjo SF team.

Can any Varjo users help?

Also, All of my drivers are up to date. 

Cheers