Varjo Aero: Opinion

Brainfreeze

7 minutes ago, beats said:

Hi,

Just received my new pc and VR (Stormforce 3090 and Varjo Aero). I have migrated from GTX 1080ti/Oculus Rifts system.  

Ive got the VR set up and running and it all seems fine. I can use the Varjo desktop tool no probs, its nice.

However when I run DCS, it flickers on start up and I get this weird juttery movement when I move my head around (which renders it unusable). I am using x1 SteamVR wireless basestation which I heard from VR Flight Sim Guy should be fine. Maybe this is a tracking problem, im not sure?

In DCS however the view is really clear, bright and solid. Cant wait to get it up and running properly. I cant find much help around at the moment although I have raised a support flag with Varjo.

Obviously for the price tag im expecting a helo support drop at any moment by the Varjo SF team.

Can any Varjo users help?

Also, All of my drivers are up to date. 

Cheers

I’m intrigued by your description of the view as solid. Would you care to expand on that a little bit, perhaps?

19 minutes ago, Vitallini said:

I’m intrigued by your description of the view as solid. Would you care to expand on that a little bit, perhaps?

The textures on the external of the aircraft are surreal, they are so clear it seems lifelike. Caucasus map still looked a little Minecraft-like at 1200 noon with full sun - however the lines around buildings and stuff are straight and smooth not jaggedy like on the Rift S. Seemed much brighter and lifelike too. 

Biggest bug so far, the time it takes for the headset to kick back in after lifting it to scratch my head, bit slow and annoying.

• Thanks 1

18.01.2022 в 19:45, Brainfreeze сказал:

BUT @Maksim Savelev did you try in VB ... analytics screen ... Performance tab ... 45fps or 30fps ?  For me the 45fps reduces stutter greatly.  30fps was less good at cutting stutter bizarrely.  Not a perfect solution as buildings are a bit ghosted/blurred but very smooth. A good way to wait for reprojection.

Yes, I've tried this? thought it will switch on a motion smoothness somehow)) No luck. Still waiting for support of SteamVR motion smoothness or reprojection

1 hour ago, beats said:

The textures on the external of the aircraft are surreal, they are so clear it seems lifelike. Caucasus map still looked a little Minecraft-like at 1200 noon with full sun - however the lines around buildings and stuff are straight and smooth not jaggedy like on the Rift S. Seemed much brighter and lifelike too. 

Biggest bug so far, the time it takes for the headset to kick back in after lifting it to scratch my head, bit slow and annoying.

Thanks for explaining! Sounds awesome even though there seem to be some issues to work out. Let’s hope the updates improves what needs fixing and that ASW is implemented sooner than later. I got an order in, but I’m still going back and forth on the aero. I ordered late so probably going to be plenty of user reviews available before my order gets processed. I just want a taste of the future!

12 hours ago, beats said:

Hi,

Just received my new pc and VR (Stormforce 3090 and Varjo Aero). I have migrated from GTX 1080ti/Oculus Rifts system.  

Ive got the VR set up and running and it all seems fine. I can use the Varjo desktop tool no probs, its nice.

However when I run DCS, it flickers on start up and I get this weird juttery movement when I move my head around (which renders it unusable). I am using x1 SteamVR wireless basestation which I heard from VR Flight Sim Guy should be fine. Maybe this is a tracking problem, im not sure?

In DCS however the view is really clear, bright and solid. Cant wait to get it up and running properly. I cant find much help around at the moment although I have raised a support flag with Varjo.

Obviously for the price tag im expecting a helo support drop at any moment by the Varjo SF team.

Can any Varjo users help?

Also, All of my drivers are up to date. 

Cheers

Nice upgrade!

For DCS you need to use the WMR debug tool - cross eye tool.  see sticky in VR forum section.   Start by swapping top/bottom for each eye and that will fix it for you.   It was the same with Reverb G2 before

• Like 1

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

My Aero has made it to Lantau Island , Hong Kong.

Hopefully I will see it here in the states sometime next week. Not too much longer now!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

31 minutes ago, dburne said:

My Aero has made it to Lantau Island , Hong Kong.

Hopefully I will see it here in the states sometime next week. Not too much longer now!

mine stayed in Lantau for 2 or 3 days and then made it to my door in 24hrs

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

54 minutes ago, Brainfreeze said:

mine stayed in Lantau for 2 or 3 days and then made it to my door in 24hrs

:thumbup:

Nice!!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Well mine has arrived in Memphis this morning however it has an exception so there is a delay.

Shipment requires importer's registration/identification number for clearance. (Examples include EIN, SSN, VAT, GST, RFC, etc.) Recommended action: Importer must provide the required registration/ identification number.

Others are reporting getting the same delay message.

• Like 1

Don B

I have ran the Wm debug tool - thanks guys

Out of interest what and how many base stations are you guys using with Varjo Aero?

I'm using one HTC Vive Pro SteamVR Base Station 2.0 which I thought would be fine. In DCS the image sometimes flashes, goes black when moving my head around. Maybe I need another base station? DCS Load up screen flickers when launching.

When in DCS the view POV is jittery and juddery - got to be tracking right?

4 minutes ago, beats said:

I have ran the Wm debug tool - thanks guys

Out of interest what and how many base stations are you guys using with Varjo Aero?

I'm using one HTC Vive Pro SteamVR Base Station 2.0 which I thought would be fine. In DCS the image sometimes flashes, goes black when moving my head around. Maybe I need another base station? DCS Load up screen flickers when launching.

When in DCS the view POV is jittery and juddery - got to be tracking right?

I use 2 base station v2 (1 bought from HTC and 1 from Valve).   BTW, the Valve base station 2 is the exact same product except it is sold much cheaper and comes with a long power lead and a stand/wall support.  The lead on the HTC marketed one is short and comes with no stand... 

Edited by Brainfreeze
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Brainfreeze said:

I use 2 base station v2 (1 bought from HTC and 1 from Valve).   BTW, the Valve base station 2 is the exact same product except it is sold much cheaper and comes with a long power lead and a stand/wall support.  The lead on the HTC marketed one is short and comes with no stand... 

Out of interest do you have any controllers, if so which?

Thanks for the fast response. I have ordered another HTC SteamVR Base Station 2.0
I think that should solve the problem. Keep you posted

1 minute ago, beats said:

Out of interest do you have any controllers, if so which?

Thanks for the fast response. I have ordered another HTC SteamVR Base Station 2.0
I think that should solve the problem. Keep you posted

valve index controllers.  By far the best ones

• Like 1

Don B

New Aero adopter…

Again I echo Beats comments I have same symptoms on load screen, spiked graphics double jittery pic… game loads in free flight in Caucasus in F18 and FPS counter is down at 20fps and game is jittering when looking around. Also looking at the main DCS there’s a weird twist going on when I move my head…

Migrated from Oculus Rift S eco system so first time with steam VR stuff.  I did purchase and have setup, 2x Base Stations v2. Probably expect something not set right..

PC Specs best you can get ….

Win11 (Installed on NVME M.2 Samsung 980Pro PCIE4)
Intel i9 12900k @5.1ghz
Asus Z690-E Strix Gaming WiFi
Corsair Dominator RGB 32Gb 5600Mhz DDR5
Zotac Amp Infinity 3090 (Latest GeForce drives)
Varjo Aero

DCS installed on another NVME M.2 Samsung 980 Pro PCIE4)

Any tips I need to check on the steam VR side, I did have a quick look at PD set to 1.6 is this needed anymore with Aero, also I’m thinking maybe need to clear out the meta shaders as usual

• Like 1

Dangermouse

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

2 minutes ago, Dangermouseb51 said:

New Aero adopter…

Again I echo Beats comments I have same symptoms on load screen, spiked graphics double jittery pic… game loads in free flight in Caucasus in F18 and FPS counter is down at 20fps and game is jittering when looking around. Also looking at the main DCS there’s a weird twist going on when I move my head…

Migrated from Oculus Rift S eco system so first time with steam VR stuff.  I did purchase and have setup, 2x Base Stations v2. Probably expect something not set right..

PC Specs best you can get ….

Win11 (Installed on NVME M.2 Samsung 980Pro PCIE4)
Intel i9 12900k @5.1ghz
Asus Z690-E Strix Gaming WiFi
Corsair Dominator RGB 32Gb 5600Mhz DDR5
Zotac Amp Infinity 3090 (Latest GeForce drives)
Varjo Aero

DCS installed on another NVME M.2 Samsung 980 Pro PCIE4)

Any tips I need to check on the steam VR side, I did have a quick look at PD set to 1.6 is this needed anymore with Aero, also I’m thinking maybe need to clear out the meta shaders as usual

My system is slightly below yours and i get about 60fps in SP and 30-60fps in MP depending on server.  All DCS settings like with the G2 so pretty high (but no MSAA). 

27 minutes ago, Dangermouseb51 said:

Win11

I'd wager this right there could very well be the culprit.

Although 1.6pd even with 3090 is pretty fat, unless your total pixel count (steamvr + ingame pd) = ~2,400x2,400 per eye. On my ryzen5900x + 3090 that's the more or less max resolution I can run the game with acceptable framerate on VivePro2.

Edited by peachmonkey

PD 1.6 on the aero would be 3648 X 4352 per eye which in total is a little under 32 million pixels, the G2 pushes just over 9 million pixels. It's fairly unsurprising that you're not getting high frame rates 😄

This is assuming that steamvr is set to 100%, if it's set higher then you're pushing even more!

Wind the PD back to 1.0 and make sure steamvr is set to 100% as a base, check performance and then wind the resolution up and down as you need.

Best it looks amazing at that resolution though 🙂

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

1 hour ago, peachmonkey said:

I'd wager this right there could very well be the culprit.

Although 1.6pd even with 3090 is pretty fat, unless your total pixel count (steamvr + ingame pd) = ~2,400x2,400 per eye. On my ryzen5900x + 3090 that's the more or less max resolution I can run the game with acceptable framerate on VivePro2.

I am running on Win11 so it's not that

Anybody's Aero being held by US Fedex?  I got a call from them asking me to fill in the 5106 form online for custom clearance, else they wouldn't release it (Memphis, TN).

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

3 hours ago, peachmonkey said:

if your sig is up to date then you're using G2 with WMR, which is a microsoft tech. It's not the same as running SteamVR with a non-MS-integrated headset.

in any case this is all a speculation

cheers

Err... If you read the first post then you'll see that I received my Aero a week ago and created this post to provide my opinion on it.  Will update my sig right away though! 😉

Edited by Brainfreeze
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Supmua said:

Anybody's Aero being held by US Fedex?  I got a call from them asking me to fill in the 5106 form online for custom clearance, else they wouldn't release it (Memphis, TN).

Yep mine has been showing Clearance Delay in Memphis since yesterday morning. I have not received any requests from Fed EX either.

I did email Varjo sales and they said they are aware of it and are working on it. They told me I need do nothing on my end.

Edited by dburne

Don B