Varjo Aero: Opinion

Brainfreeze

Just tried my Index at 90 Hz and even 80 Hz. Both were WAY smoother than Aero at supposed 90 FPS/Hz. 

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

Can someone remind me of what I need to do with ED debug tool for the Aero?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

26 minutes ago, dburne said:

Can someone remind me of what I need to do with ED debug tool for the Aero?

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

1 hour ago, Supmua said:

Got it thanks much!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I've sent the diagnostic data. I also made a video of what I'm seeing through the headset:  

It's almost as if the headset was running at like 45 frames per second instead of 90. I've also tried different USB 3.1 ports on the motherboard, turning off eye-tracking, different Displayports on my RTX 3090. Nothing seems to fix it. Reminding: My Valve Index on the exact same system using the same ports runs 144 Hz with 200% super sampling completely butter smooth. I'm curious for other Aero users, if you go into Varjo Base and slowly look around, is the image really smooth or does it stutter like in my video above? 

Did you try to bring up the GPU frametime display while doing that? Check and see if the graph is smooth or not.

I’ve been mostly using it with sims. But Beatsaber was pretty smooth. Those juddering should not occur if fps is 90+ but will if your fps drops below because of lack of motion smoothing (which is coming). Also play with VSync setting in NVIDIA control and HAG option to see if this changes anything, or just send it back. Mine is probably gonna be a keeper as the clarity is beyond everything else especially after some hardware mods and ReshadeVR.

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

There is also a vsync setting in Varjo Base but I have not enabled it yet.

Ok so using the Debug tool to swap each display top/bottom. That does the trick for me in making menus look more normal, however seems it does not stick - debug tool keeps launching with DCS and I have to do the swap each time. It should save right?

One annoyance I have so far with the Aero, disable automatic IPD adjustment in Varjo Base but still have to gaze at the white dot until it says calibration failed.  That step should not even show up if auto IPD is disabled in Varjo Base.

Don B

5 minutes ago, dburne said:

Ok so using the Debug tool to swap each display top/bottom. That does the trick for me in making menus look more normal, however seems it does not stick - debug tool keeps launching with DCS and I have to do the swap each time. It should save right?

One annoyance I have so far with the Aero, disable automatic IPD adjustment in Varjo Base but still have to gaze at the white dot until it says calibration failed.  That step should not even show up if auto IPD is disabled in Varjo Base.

in the debug tool you have to click save.  if you have a file .lua saved then the tool will not show up anymore.    The white dot is not for IPD but for eye tracking.  Not really used by anything else that workspace but hey might be later 🙂

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

12 minutes ago, Brainfreeze said:

in the debug tool you have to click save.  if you have a file .lua saved then the tool will not show up anymore.    The white dot is not for IPD but for eye tracking.  Not really used by anything else that workspace but hey might be later 🙂

Ok thanks much - just wish the white dot did not come up every time.

Thanks for the tip on the debug tool, that must be it!

Don B

1 hour ago, dburne said:

The moving dot is for eye tracking, not auto IPD. That’s why it still bugs you even when auto ipd is disabled. To my knowledge there is no way to disable the eye tracking.

Ok it seems you can lock the framerate to 90, 45, and 30 fps using Varjo Base app.  Basically, bring up Analytics window and click the toolbar icon bottom left, then Performance and take your pick.  There's also an option for vertical synchronization but I'm not sure if this is working at all.  Now, if you lock the fps to values below 90 fps you will see slight juddering when moving around (easiest way to test is with the main DCS screen).  This is normal because right now there is no motion smoothing algorithm but once that is baked in it should give stable and smooth experience in DCS as it will keep reprojection ratio at a fixed rate.

Anyway, my suggestion, don't lock the framerate below 90 fps right now because you will see juddering even when your fps is 90+ because the software will try to render at 45 with 2:1 reprojection, and thus juddering.

Edited by Supmua

1 hour ago, Supmua said:

Ok it seems you can lock the framerate to 90, 45, and 30 fps using Varjo Base app.  Basically, bring up Analytics window and click the toolbar icon bottom left, then Performance and take your pick.  There's also an option for vertical synchronization but I'm not sure if this is working at all.  Now, if you lock the fps to values below 90 fps you will see slight juddering when moving around (easiest way to test is with the main DCS screen).  This is normal because right now there is no motion smoothing algorithm but once that is baked in it should give stable and smooth experience in DCS as it will keep reprojection ratio at a fixed rate.

Anyway, my suggestion, don't lock the framerate below 90 fps right now because you will see juddering even when your fps is 90+ because the software will try to render and 45 with 2:1 reprojection, and thus juddering.

So far my experience has been pretty good running at 45 fps in DCS. As long as it maintains 45 fps I don't see much in the way of ghosting and only get some slight stuttering when down really low. 

I run both HAGS and Game Mode on now ( Windows 11), and I set my VR pre-rendered frames to 2.

Now I will mention one caveat - technically I am half blind, i only have the left half of my vision. So I suppose it could be possible I might not pick up as much as one with full vision.  The vision I have is good, just only have half of what I used to have.

Don B

Findings updates…

First did a clear out of SteamVR and reload, moved my lighthouses and headset box onto smart plugs to turn on/off when needed. DCS F16 Cauc Freeflight hits around 45-65 dependant on height and stuff. 
Also moved the USB to its own USB type c slot, need to look into what else is linked or on the same cct in effect.

Any current owners getting stable 90 fps can you share DCS settings so I can match.

Lastly I have the leap system in a drawer that I’m looking to get utilising since there seems to be more love for, anybody been doing any test/mounting positions, where we can and cannot put it on the headset for best results. Also anyone with good results can u share pics or mounting options, thanks.

Jim

Dangermouse

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

2 hours ago, SkipCarey said:

To all Varjo Aero users is it worth the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ in DCS over the G2? or Pimax 8Kx?

I came from Index - Reverb  G2 - Vive Pro 2 - Aero.

Aero is a whole nother league. Worth the cost? That is going to be highly dependent on the individual along with their monetary situation.

I myself am a heavy VR users. I am retired and I do VR gaming for many hours each week. I had the money I could spend, the wife gave me her wholehearted blessing, and for me at this point after several hours I would say yeah - to me it was worth it. It also helped that I already had the tracking system that came with my Index.  Also going to sell my collection of headsets probably before too much longer which will recoup some of that cost.

• Like 2

Don B

8 hours ago, SkipCarey said:

To all Varjo Aero users is it worth the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ in DCS over the G2? or Pimax 8Kx?

For me yes because I value image clarity more than anything else, but it's all relative.  Top-end devices are never ever offered as the bang of the bucks, and the Aero is not exactly a perfect headset as it's got some flaws.  For most people including myself 2K is a lot of money to drop on a VR headset and it just about hit my spending limit.  Then there are people I know who would spend 400-500K on a new Piper or Diamond plane to lug their family around instead of driving during vacation time.  What is your comfort zone?

Edited by Supmua

I did a bunch more DCS test flights and came to the conclusion that the image quality you can get from this headset (when used in combination with ReshadeVR and optimal seating) is simply mind blowing.  In the F-16 Mariana free flight, some juddering aside, the graphics are just as good as that on my 4KTV plus stereoscopic and panoramic effects from VR.  The cockpit glass reflection, the clouds, water reflection look superb and every single thing in the cockpit is legible even the tiny little texts on the side panels.

Skyrim VR with full mods also looks stunning, and so does MSFS2000 especially in busy scenes such as NYC or London.  Every game I tried just show excellent clarity and sharpness that I've never experienced before in a VR headset.  I'm hoping Varjo will complete their motion prediction algorithm soon, as well as ability to at least adjust the brightness since the headset's default setting is still too bright.

Now on to the negative side, found a tiny debris embedded in my right lens which causes a tiny blurred spot in the right visual field.  Checked with tech support and they will send a replacement unit, when available.

EDIT:  The included earbuds are actually pretty decent.  Sounds a little thin when plugged straight into the headset but position it correctly and given enough volume it's not bad at all.  Paired with a good amp (I use Monoprice THX AAA), and the sound is even better...much better than the Index with very good instrument separation and decent clarity as well as soundstage.  Now sonically it is no where near a pair of $1000 or even $300 tier IEMs, and the sound signature is a bit V-shaped, but for a freebie they are better than your average phone buds for sure.

so before ditching the included earbuds, do a test against your headphones of choice first.  Check out this music, for example.  https://youtu.be/fDaA1CDPTrI

Edited by Supmua
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, SkipCarey said:

To me the Aero brings me full cockpit clarity/sharpness (gr8 visual comfort) and soooo much better spotting ability in DCS.  I can spot distant aircrafts way before guys on flat screens now.  Was impossible before because of the tiny sweetspot which meant unless the distant aircraft was right where you were looking it would not even be displayed in the HMD.  And your eyes spot movements better in peripheral vision.  So yes I am keeping it.  I am sure it is not worth the $$$$ but once u spend it it is hard to go back 🙂

• Like 1

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

9 hours ago, Supmua said:

I did a bunch more DCS test flights and came to the conclusion that the image quality you can get from this headset (when used in combination with ReshadeVR and optimal seating) is simply mind blowing.  In the F-16 Mariana free flight, some juddering aside, the graphics are just as good as that on my 4KTV plus stereoscopic and panoramic effects from VR.  The cockpit glass reflection, the clouds, water reflection look superb and every single thing in the cockpit is legible even the tiny little texts on the side panels.

Skyrim VR with full mods also looks stunning, and so does MSFS2000 especially in busy scenes such as NYC or London.  Every game I tried just show excellent clarity and sharpness that I've never experienced before in a VR headset.  I'm hoping Varjo will complete their motion prediction algorithm soon, as well as ability to at least adjust the brightness since the headset's default setting is still too bright.

Now on to the negative side, found a tiny debris embedded in my right lens which causes a tiny blurred spot in the right visual field.  Checked with tech support and they will send a replacement unit, when available.

EDIT:  The included earbuds are actually pretty decent.  Sounds a little thin when plugged straight into the headset but position it correctly and given enough volume it's not bad at all.  Paired with a good amp (I use Monoprice THX AAA), and the sound is even better...much better than the Index with very good instrument separation and decent clarity as well as soundstage.  Now sonically it is no where near a pair of $1000 or even $300 tier IEMs, and the sound signature is a bit V-shaped, but for a freebie they are better than your average phone buds for sure.

so before ditching the included earbuds, do a test against your headphones of choice first.  Check out this music, for example.  https://youtu.be/fDaA1CDPTrI

Nice report, very similar to my experience absolutely love it! Not doing any mods on my end though. Except I got some Razer Hammerhead earbuds for mine and using plugged into my Creative sound port. Had to use an extension for my to reach the PC and the one I had laying around does not support Mic. Have a new one that does coming sometime today.

Do you use the Mic on your Aero earbuds? I need Mic for my Vaicom Pro/Voice Attack.

Edited by dburne

Don B

15 hours ago, redcoat22 said:

Agreed,

I don't know of anything in the works which is about to take the crown.  This headset is the crown.  So if you value having the crown and can afford it then I say buy one.

Big fan of VR and the Aero certainly has my interest. I reverted to my QHD 32" monitor awhile back, as G2 clarity was insufficient for DCS multi-player flying. 2 things are keeping me on the VR sideline for now: inability to acquire a high-performance GPU, and announcement of the Meganex.

Well have spent most of the day today so far flying a campaign in the Hornet with my new Aero.

Wow, this thing is just incredible. That crisp cockpit clarity is so awesome. Everything just looks so great in it. I am running it at full native resolution ( default high setting in Aero software), and whilst my fps fluctuated between 38-42 fps it still was a very good experience. 

I am very impressed.

Don B

What are your Nvidia settings?

I'm getting a clear pic... but this thing is not smooth. Distortion is pretty bad as well and this headset might be going back. 

Using a 3090 as well...

Edited by Flim

9 hours ago, dburne said:

Nice report, very similar to my experience absolutely love it! Not doing any mods on my end though. Except I got some Razer Hammerhead earbuds for mine and using plugged into my Creative sound port. Had to use an extension for my to reach the PC and the one I had laying around does not support Mic. Have a new one that does coming sometime today.

Do you use the Mic on your Aero earbuds? I need Mic for my Vaicom Pro/Voice Attack.

I’m sticking with using the headset’s audio out port since in full VR games I’m typically away from the computer and don’t like extra cords on the ground.  However, the amp in the headset audio out isn’t powerful and and not able to drive any of my favorite headphones.  Right now I’m using Linsoul kz zs10 pro IEM with in-Line mic and it is a bit better than than the one that came with the headset in terms of overall sound and mic.  I do think that any mic already sounds better than the VP2 one, as that one has no wind shielding and tends to pop.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Flim said:

What are your Nvidia settings?

I'm getting a clear pic... but this thing is not smooth. Distortion is pretty bad as well and this headset might be going back. 

Using a 3090 as well...

My NVIDIA setting is default except prefer maximum power.  The headset is in the exact same situation that the Vive Pro 2 was when it first came out, not smooth due to lack of motion smoothing.  This will be implemented later on.  When you are an early adopter prepare to deal with some quirks like this which may not be reported by YouTubers.  The hardware itself is ready, but software is far from finished.  For distortion either use cross eye correction tool or wait until the headset is officially supported by DCS.  Or you can just send it back…