Varjo Aero: Opinion

Brainfreeze

22 hours ago, Supmua said:

Been messing around with Reshade 5.0 and it's great.  The popular CAS sharpening and Tonemap (Gamma/Exposure) filters have about 2ms negative effect on the frametime, but the Vibrance filter has literally none (on the frametime).  The Aero is already plenty sharp there's no need to increase sharpness, so Vibrance the best bang for the performance/fidelity ratio if used with DCS native gamma adjustment. making everything pop.  I was hoping to be able to use the SMAA filter to replace MSAA but no go, MSAA is still the best option in terms of shimmering reduction.

EDIT:  Found my new fav Reshade filter, it's lumasharpen.  This doesn't affect shimmering, and has very small cost to the frametime at 0.5ms.

Tips for folks that want to try Reshade 5.0:

-During installation, select DCS.exe from the \bin folder, choose DX 10/11/12 option.

-Reshade VR will only activate from SteamVR control bar, as it uses a different interface/runtime from 2D so bringing up 2D window option with HOME key will not work (it sorta will but no effect in VR).  Bring up SteamVR control bar (pressing system button on the controller) and click on Reshade icon to bring up the control window. 

-You can only pick filters in Performance mode, so click on that and pick the filter(s) you want.

-You can only adjust the filter parameters in non-performance mode, so unclick the performance mode to make adjustment.  Adjustment can only be done via VR controller, mouse input doesn't work.  You can input decimal numbers via pop-up keypad by doubleclicking the trigger button on the input sliders.

Recommended Reshade filters:

1. Vibrance.  My current setting is 0.15, this makes the overall image pop a bit but not too much.  Near zero effect on frametime.

2. Lumasharpen.  My current setting is 1.5.  This brings incredible amount of ground and distant detail with next to no effect on shimmering.  0.5ms negative effect on frametime.  

My current DCS settings:  this may change as I’m still messing around trying to find a good balance between performance and visual quality

-80% SteamVR per app setting, minimal difference in visuals vs 100% while much more economical in terms of frametime.

-cockpit res 1024, this headset deserves extra detail as it has enough resolving power to show it.

-MSAA 2X, to minimize shimmering and aliasing artifacts.

-high visibility and clouds, this is why we have the Varjo headset.

-medium water, found it to be good enough for me.

-low shadow, more life-like appearance inside the cockpit compare to flat.

My Steam VR defaulted to 150% for the Aero. I am actually running 130% and getting a pretty good experience ( no MSAA).

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

23 hours ago, Brainfreeze said:

😃  but what is that vram usage? 🤪

Well I tried to get it today with not much luck. I set Precision X1 to log the memory usage, however after I finished a combat mission and viewed it was showing a max of like 4.4 Gb and I know that can not be right. So if I can ever figure out a way to measure it I will let you know.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

@dburneinstall gpuz, the sensors will log and record your min/max GPU stats 🙂

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

2 hours ago, edmuss said:

Will give it a shot thanks.

Don B

12 hours ago, dburne said:

Well I tried to get it today with not much luck. I set Precision X1 to log the memory usage, however after I finished a combat mission and viewed it was showing a max of like 4.4 Gb and I know that can not be right. So if I can ever figure out a way to measure it I will let you know.

The 'in-headset' overlay of fpsVr indicates a number of things depending of settings (minimal to extended version) on it you will have frametime/fps AND GPU /CPU memory usage. The full version should look like this below...showing 4.2GB of VRAM usage and 11.5GB of RAM usage.

20220203094916_1.jpg

Edited by Brainfreeze

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

I read @Brainfreeze’s first post in this thread and felt like I’ve found my long lost brother… 😉 I had the exact same experience.

I never thought fit would be an issue when I saw that highly configurable strap setup. The Oculus CV1, RiftS and Reverb G2 all fit me just fine. The Aero did not. It was really uncomfortable. Having used it for over a week now, I have found a setting that works. I contemplated returning the Aero, but having used if for several days I tried going back to the G2, and…no. The G2 was incredibly comfortable compared to the Aero, but that’s it. I’ve fallen in love with the visuals of the Aero and the increase in performance. I thought doing without motion reprojection would be a problem, but it’s not. I also reacted to the distortions, but again, going back to the G2 revealed that this headset has distortions too, I just had learned to cope. Now I’ve learned to cope with the distortions in the Aero as well.

I also have just one base station. I have mounted in the ceiling, above and maybe 1m in front of me. This position seems to work just fine. At least for sitting in that spot, which I do, when flightsimming.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Goblin said:

I read @Brainfreeze’s first post in this thread and felt like I’ve found my long lost brother… 😉 I had the exact same experience.

I never thought fit would be an issue when I saw that highly configurable strap setup. The Oculus CV1, RiftS and Reverb G2 all fit me just fine. The Aero did not. It was really uncomfortable. Having used it for over a week now, I have found a setting that works. I contemplated returning the Aero, but having used if for several days I tried going back to the G2, and…no. The G2 was incredibly comfortable compared to the Aero, but that’s it. I’ve fallen in love with the visuals of the Aero and the increase in performance. I thought doing without motion reprojection would be a problem, but it’s not. I also reacted to the distortions, but again, going back to the G2 revealed that this headset has distortions too, I just had learned to cope. Now I’ve learned to cope with the distortions in the Aero as well.

I also have just one base station. I have mounted in the ceiling, above and maybe 1m in front of me. This position seems to work just fine. At least for sitting in that spot, which I do, when flightsimming.

My experience as well. Great increase in visual clarity, slight increase in performance ( almost unbelievable), and runs great even with no motion reprojection.

• Like 1

Don B

19 hours ago, edmuss said:

Ok so using GPUZ, I flew a campaign mission in the Hornet. Had both air to air and air to ground activity, heavy weather down low for carrier ops. Mission was about 70 minutes in length.

Max GPU Memory usage was 13.8 GB during the mission.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don B

7 hours ago, dburne said:

Ok so using GPUZ, I flew a campaign mission in the Hornet. Had both air to air and air to ground activity, heavy weather down low for carrier ops. Mission was about 70 minutes in length.

Max GPU Memory usage was 13.8 GB during the mission.

I've seen as high as (GPU usage) up to 18.1 GB with the Tomcat, which btw has the best VR cockpit especially on the Aero.  All those faded little texts in the cockpit, you can read every single one of them.

Edited by Supmua
  • Like 1

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

1 minute ago, Supmua said:

I've seen as high as GPU usage up to 18.1 GB with the Tomcat, which btw has the best VR cockpit especially on the Aero.  All those faded little texts in the cockpit, you can read every single one of them.

I have it just have not got around to learning it yet - on my to do list lol. Still having a blast in the Hornet , and there is that Apache coming soon also...

• Like 1

Don B

Moded vs non-modded Aeros

f96c48d1ec1a77ba90cb206e9a2ab41a.jpg

• Like 2

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

On 2/3/2022 at 8:22 AM, Goblin said:

I read @Brainfreeze’s first post in this thread and felt like I’ve found my long lost brother… 😉 

If I remember right, you’re from Sweden?  (Hejsan!) Or I may be wrong?

Already did get the Varjo? 
I ordered the same day they opened orders from sweden( I did get my “will ship in two weeks” today, so not that long wait now). 

• Like 2

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

Did some mic testing in MP with my friend today.  I’m currently using Linsoul ks sz10 pro IEM with in-line mic, which sounds awesome but the mic doesn’t work right out of the box.  Now typical headsets or IEM from China and some SONY ones use OMTP type jack which is different from CTIA format which is prevalent in the US and is also used by Varjo (the difference being the mic and ground positions are switched on the prong).  This can be corrected by a CTIA-OMTP adapter (I use a cheap $5 Sony Ericsson angled adapter found on eBay), which will swap these two positions around allowing you to use in-line mic from either system with the opposite type.

The mic sounds pretty good provided that the mic level is set at 100% in windows setting.  Of course there is no noise cancellation if you are into that, but the in line mic is extremely portable since it’s already attached to the earbuds.

The provided earbuds don’t sound great if directly plugged into the Aero (the clarity and instrument separation are very good though), the sound becomes much less thin and fuller with expensive amp/DAC setup but not really practical that way.  The sound quality from the Linsoul, on the other hand is quite a step up from any built-in VR headphones approaching audiophile territory.

Edited by Supmua

I may have mentioned this earlier , I have settled on using Razer HammerHead earbuds plugged into my Creative sound port. Just have an inexpensive desk top mic here I use for when I need one ( Vaicom Pro with Voice Attack). This gives me very good sound and equalizer settings I can use.  But that is kind of how I have done with most all my headsets, none of their built in sound I was overly pleased with.

Don B

Varjo Aero Review (after 2 wk use)

This is my 7th VR headset so I have a few insights to share.  I also had access to two different Aeros for a brief period of time (one is a replacement headset).  I decided to wait until I’m familiar with the headset before this writeup to avoid giving out premature impression or honeymoon phase bias.  Hopefully this will help some of you who are thinking about this VR headset.  I’m not going to tell you to buy or not to buy since it costs a lot of money and what we’re looking for in a VR HMD may be different. 

Techonogy:

This is a high-end VR HMD device with high resolution miniLED screen 2880 x 2720 pixels which is known for brightness (150 nits) and color reproduction. The HMD frequency is fixed at 90 Hz (not sure if other refresh rates will be supported). 

Max resolution of 39 PPD can be achieved with foveated rendering. It has eye tracking tech using 200 Hz speed for the purpose of foveated rendering, as well as auto IPD adjustment. And most importantly it uses aspherical lens which eliminate glare and god rays.  None of these techs are perfect and have some flaws such as blooming associated with miniLED which will not be discussed here.  

Because of the high resolution/bandwidth, the video transmission relies on NVIDIA’s DSC compression technology and currently AMD GPUs are not supported. 

The Aero has native supports for OpenVR and OpenXR, these can be toggle on/off in the software.  There is no power on/off button, which may not be good for long term durability.

Fit and finish:

It looks and feels like a typical VR headset, I can’t say that it looks more premium than other VR HMD or feel that way.  It is definitely well built, no creaking noise or loosened part when you manipulate it. 

The provided USB-C cable goes in at 45 degree diagonally to attach to the port on the left side of the headset. There is no other port except for audio/mic jack. The audio/mic jack is CTIA type, which means you will need an adapter if your headphones are OMTP type (otherwise the sound will work but no mic input)

Comfort:

Every VR headset I came across is front heavy and this HMD is no different.  There are two dials controlling front and back paddings which helps a bit with comfort. The inner compartment is similar to the Valve Index, not very comfortable if you wear wide-frame eyeglasses. The sweetspot which I define as the HMD position that allows you to see or achieve maximum clarity, is not easy to achieve. After fudging around, I find that you can improve comfort and sweetspot issue significantly with use of 3rd party VR headstraps. 

Image Quality:

The visuals you can get out of this headset is extremely good approaching 4KTV. I can see little details in games that I didn’t notice before. Tiny texts inside the cockpit are all legible even at 80% sampling. There are a few flaws though. At present the brightness cannot be manually adjusted and most games will look too bright especially in the black scenes such as night flying.  

Another minus in image quality would be pincushion distortion and chromatic aberration in the edge of the visual field, this is quite noticeable if you are actively looking for it however your brain can adjust and compensate somewhat. Now, after prolonged use when I stared at a perfect rectangular object in 2D screen I would end up seeing barrel distortion for a while, just the way of my brain overcompensating for what I see. 

The visuals in general though are so good that you can appreciate subtle color shift (or tint) inside the cockpit in DCS when looking through the canopy glass in the front vs side. The red canopy glass tint affecting the world is easily appreciated when looking through the Hornet’s front canopy, this is not easily seen in other headsets that I’ve tried. 

The vertical field of view is also not as good, and probably the lowest among VR headsets. This is apparent when you bring up SteamVR’s built in GPU frametime graph, you will not be able to see the bottom of the graph with this headset in normal position. 

Performance:

Because of the superior clarity at the default 100% SS setting or even at 80%, the HMD gives better overall performance as well as clarity than my previous favorite Vive Pro 2.  Native OpenXR support is also a plus on games that support this reducing SteamVR overhead cost. 

Software:

The software side at present is still immature. SteamVR integration is suboptimal, the Steam control panel seems to have a mind of its own and SteamVR overlay often doesn’t come up when system button is pressed. 

Varjo’s virtual desktop (Workspace) also doesn’t seem to be color calibrated for the Aero. It displays blown out white and black level crush, evident by just bringing up a Web browser and look at the detail, or go to any monitor calibration website and check BW levels from 1-10 and 244-254.  This does not happen with Steam Virtual desktop or Bigscreen or Virtual Desktop apps.  I had emailed tech support about this issue and they didn’t seem to see it (this is seen in both headsets that I have access to). 

Motion smoothing is also not ready currently. This is the feature I use a lot with flightsims even though it costs a few fps.  Some of the settings are also buried in the Analytic windows which isn’t easy to find. 

Practical Usage:

Despite having listed all these little quirks and flaws, this is actually the best VR headset that I’ve owned by far.  The visual quality is simply unmatched and I feel that this is the most important aspect of VR because it can give such a huge impact in terms of immersiveness and the feeling of being in another world or metaverse if you will.  This is also the first headset that I could really use as a monitor replacement or movie watching (regular or VR or 3D).

Misc:

There is some early quality control issue. For example, dead pixels or lens debris (which I found on my first headset). My replacement headset seems to have louder fan noise, but the lenses are perfect so I will keep it. 

Tips:

-use 3rd party headstraps for much better comfort and fitment

-use your own headphones or earbuds for superior audio experience. The provided earbuds are ok but sound a bit thin especially with percussions. 
-use smart plug to turn the device on/off.

-make sure the USB-C connections are secure on both ends if you have spotty connection issue. 

-for typical use, default mode is great (27 PPD without foveated, 35 PPD with).

-Varjo software doesn't have bluetooth control for base stations power management.  There's an app on Apple Store called BS Companion that can be used to for this (there should be an Android equivalent as well).  On the PC side there is also GitHub - ShayBox/Lighthouse: VR Lighthouse power state management in Rust for management of base station power.

Edited by Supmua
  • Like 5

You found the same  as I , performance a little better in the Aero over the Vive Pro 2. I stated that in another forum and got heavily criticized for it by a non-Aero owner. But it is true.

• Like 1

Don B

On 2/4/2022 at 10:11 PM, Goblin said:

Japp! Tjena!
But I live in Norway, so that’s from where I ordered the Aero.

Ahh, copy!

I just got my shipping within five bussiness days, så it is on the väg. 🙂

• Like 1

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

So Varjo keeps ignoring my return emails. Getting close to a credit card chargeback. 

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

On 2/7/2022 at 10:35 AM, Supmua said:

Varjo Aero Review (after 2 wk use)

Image Quality:

The visuals you can get out of this headset is extremely good approaching 4KTV. I can see little details in games that I didn’t notice before. Tiny texts inside the cockpit are all legible even at 80% sampling. There are a few flaws though. At present the brightness cannot be manually adjusted and most games will look too bright especially in the black scenes such as night flying.  

Great review and mirrors my own impressions of the Aero.  I particularly agree with the part about the brightness at night which seems to render night flying as pretty useless unless I'm missing something.  I am hoping that some kind of brightness/contrast adjustment will help reduce the grey film effect I'm experiencing.  

3 hours ago, feralcat said:

Great review and mirrors my own impressions of the Aero.  I particularly agree with the part about the brightness at night which seems to render night flying as pretty useless unless I'm missing something.  I am hoping that some kind of brightness/contrast adjustment will help reduce the grey film effect I'm experiencing.  

Mini-LED screens have dimming zones, either Varjo programmers aren’t proficient with non-VR tech (lack of BT control for the base station, for example) or the screens themselves don’t have good dimming.  I find that using Reshade effects and DCS gamma setting for post processing can help with night flying but the darkest area is still a bit bright.  It is not that bad unless I do direct head to head comparison against my OLED TV right before or after.

The image quality out of those screens is very nice though as it goes through clear aspheric lens rather than fuzzy fresnels.  It’s almost like images from using pro quality glass vs cheap lens with your digital camera.  Ironically, pro glasses don’t have much distortion or chromatic aberration unlike Varjo lens.

Edited by Supmua
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Callsign.Vega said:

So Varjo keeps ignoring my return emails. Getting close to a credit card chargeback. 

Dang that is not good to hear. Making me regret not paying with my credit card over debit card. 

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

7 hours ago, feralcat said:

Have you tried to turn down the gamme correction in DCS?  It does not need to be as high as with other headsets

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

@Brainfreeze Yes I tried the gamma correction.  The problem is it doesn't address the gray level, it makes the entire screen darker of brighter.  I'm thinking/hoping that a separate brightness and contrast will allow enough variation to get a clear image/experience.  Awesome suggestion though!

Edited by feralcat

You can do a lot with Reshade. Exposure, Gamma, level, curve, saturation, tint, vibrancy, LUT, sharpening, antialiasing, etc. almost anything you can think of for video processing. 

• Like 1