Varjo Aero: Opinion

Brainfreeze

19 hours ago, BMGZ06 said:

Dang that is not good to hear. Making me regret not paying with my credit card over debit card. 

Ya I definitely feel like they are trying to blow me off. Are you thinking about returning yours too?

• Thanks 1

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

40 minutes ago, Callsign.Vega said:

Ya I definitely feel like they are trying to blow me off. Are you thinking about returning yours too?

Well I have not even gotten mine yet. I just ordered a week ago. 

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

My prescription lens from VR lens lab came in today, with their special VR frame glasses.  My regular eyeglasses don't fit in well inside the Aero and my contact lens are multi-focal so I had no idea what I'd been missing until today.  With the new VR lens lab stuff, vertical edge to edge clarity is 100% and horizontal edge to edge clarity is at least 90%.  I'm glancing left and down inside the Harrier's cockpit and the bottom edge is crystal clear with completely legible texts on the left back panel.  That is just crazy.

Edited by Supmua
  • Like 1

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

10 hours ago, Supmua said:

My prescription lens from VR lens lab came in today, with their special VR frame glasses.  My regular eyeglasses don't fit in well inside the Aero and my contact lens are multi-focal so I had no idea what I'd been missing until today.  With the new VR lens lab stuff, vertical edge to edge clarity is 100% and horizontal edge to edge clarity is at least 90%.  I'm glancing left and down inside the Harrier's cockpit and the bottom edge is crystal clear with completely legible texts on the left back panel.  That is just crazy.

Yeah the overall clarity across the image is a sight to behold for sure.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yeah, a friend came over to check out my setup the other day and he was pretty much blown away saying he had no idea VR images could look as good as flatscreen like this (he’s using the Rift S). 

• Like 1

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

This strap works pretty well with the Aero also.  Not bad for $5.  I've been using this instead of the more expensive one which is now attached to my HiFiMan Ananda headphones.

Amazon.com: KIWI design Headband Head Strap for Oculus Quest/Quest 2/Oculus Rift Virtual Reality VR Headset Accessories, Comfortable PU Leather and Reduce Head Pressure (Black) : Cell Phones & Accessories

Been experimenting with various settings.  Currently I'm running the headset at Highest on Varjo software, but in SteamVR SS is reduced to 60% which corresponds to 3,212 horizontal pixels (which is still higher than High Varjo setting with 3,140 horizontal pixels).  The advantage I can see is that shimmering seems even more minimal with this, and blacks seem to look more black at this setting.  Of course this could just be placebo so will have to keep playing more.  On the Vive Pro 2 though, the clarity is definitely better by running the headset at the highest pixel count and reduce Steam SS as needed.

EDIT:

Found that Highest setting causes CPU frametime spikes with Revive titles (Lone Echo, etc.), so I stepped down to Higher setting and adjusted Steam SS to similar pixels and the problem disappears with minimal change in visual quality.  Also, vertical synchronization on seems to help reduce juddering.  You still get motion blur on the ground objects when flying by but the degree of juddering is more evenly paced and more natural.  Tested this with F-16 Syria free flight, and other than the blacks which aren't OLED level and some pixelated clouds the image quality is roughly the same as my 4KTV.  The cockpit truly looks pristine and the distance detail is excellent with Reshade Lumasharpen.  The visual clarity is also dependent on your vision, unless your corrected eyesight is 20/20 you may not perceive the true capability of this headset.  I did not realize how sharp this headset is until I started using it with the lens frame insert from VR lens lab, the frame's distance from your eye socket also determines the optimal sharpness (1 fingerbreadth for my face).

Edited by Supmua
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/24/2022 at 9:08 AM, dburne said:

So I contacted both Fed Ex and Varjo this morning, was sent form 5106 and told I need to fill out and return, which I have done.

Will see if this gets my headset out of Fed Ex hell.

Apparently customs delays are still a thing. My headset has been stuck at FedEx for a couple of weeks. Varjo contacted me asking for an Importer Identity Form (CBP-5106) but I contacted FedEx directly and they said they are waiting for a Statement of Anti-Dumping Duties from Varjo. Not sure what triggered all this but I don't like the look of the 5106. I've never been asked to declare myself as an importer before and probably wont give up the required info just to get a toy.

1 hour ago, Hinkey said:

Apparently customs delays are still a thing. My headset has been stuck at FedEx for a couple of weeks. Varjo contacted me asking for an Importer Identity Form (CBP-5106) but I contacted FedEx directly and they said they are waiting for a Statement of Anti-Dumping Duties from Varjo. Not sure what triggered all this but I don't like the look of the 5106. I've never been asked to declare myself as an importer before and probably wont give up the required info just to get a toy.

Wow that is ridiculous. While it was a bit of a pain I was able to get it sorted and to me without much delay. But yeah I did fill out the form and send it to them. Nothing about anti-dumping duties though as far as I know. Varjo shipping to the states they really need to get all this sorted out. No customer should have to go through this hassle.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

15 minutes ago, Abahji said:

So no clickable DCS cockpits with this headset? Has anyone been able to fix the mouse cursor in cockpit so it lines up? Strange because menu items work fine, just cockpit switches and OSBs.
Graphics look great BTW, best I have ever seen.

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners