Personal review of my capability's with the Viper

Rukus

Hi.   I purchased the F-16 a while back.  I've enjoyed this plane as im a old Falcon 4 player.  When i mean old,  im in my mid 60's.  I started flying sims back in the early 80's.

When i played Falcon 4 for a while,  i got fairly good at managing the aircraft.  My Dogfighting skills were ok.  I could keep up with the AI enemys.

After i purchased the F16 in DCS,  i found that i was really rusty with dogfighting.   After a period of playing,  the old skills seamed to come back.  Now after 2 years away and flying with VR again (Quest 2 now,  used to be a Rift),  seems everything has gone away again.

I struggle to stay with the AI in a turning fight.  Seems the only thing i possibly could keep up with is a Ultralight.

I've lost the energy management, finding the turn circle, and basically anything else to win a fight.

Back early on,  you could feel when to add power,  when to turn,  when to relax g's,  and energy management what just normal everyday thing.   Things just clicked,  felt normal.

Does anyone else feel like this with a fair amount of experience with dogfighting and being away for a fair amount of time.   Just seems as hard as i try,  i just cant get it back lol.

• Like 1

Absolutely. Dogfighting (especially in real life, but in this sim too) is a VERY perishable skill. I had a basement remodel happening that had my cockpit all locked up for about 3 months where I didn't play at all. When I got back into it, I thought: "What the HECK did ED do to "my" flight model!?!" 🙂 Then, after a couple of hours of aggressive GUNZO, I got 'it' all back. Practice, practice, practice.... And do all of your practice guns only if you want to accelerate your skill sharpening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

11 minutes ago, wilbur81 said:

Absolutely. Dogfighting (especially in real life, but in this sim too) is a VERY perishable skill. I had a basement remodel happening that had my cockpit all locked up for about 3 months where I didn't play at all. When I got back into it, I thought: "What the HECK did ED do to "my" flight model!?!" 🙂 Then, after a couple of hours of aggressive GUNZO, I got 'it' all back. Practice, practice, practice.... And do all of your practice guns only if you want to accelerate your skill sharpening.

yes,  im doing guns only.  I appreciate your response.  Just thinking im just getting too old.  Which is still possible lol

Hi I am like you in my sixties and I can say one thing is that we are not too old but at a certain age when we have lost certain reflexes it takes longer to recover them than at 20 or 30 but They come back for sure, you just have to persevere.
good flight on the viper🧐

Old Falcon flier as well, had the jet and combat mostly mastered but find much challenge with the DCS Viper, especially aerial refueling.  Mind you most of my time continues to be in the Hornet as I prefer naval aviation…flare to land = squat to pee.

• Like 1

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

Well something just clicked.   I setup a headon with mig-21.   for some reason things just started to come back.   I was able to predict power requirements,  finding the turn circle ect.    I thought it was fluke.    Did it again 4 times. 

I then did the same setup but with both of us with IR missles only.   Same Stuff.   I was on him and just toyed before releasing a ir.

I then moved up the ranks of enemy and then to a mig 29.   Same thing.

Then i got smoked a few times.

All these were on rookie enemy but i feel much better.    So strange it just clicked in.

Edited by Rukus
  • Like 2

ahhh the old "do i suck now?" struggle 😄 

Feeling that you suddenly (or gradually) suck and are "Losing your skills" is a very common thing. 
It is in Counter strike at least, and i imagine it is in any game. 
There are even 'guides' on youtube on how to overcome this. But what i find works best is this : 

-Try not to obess over it and just accept that there will be periods where you suck and periods that you will be better. 
-Don't over-practice. In fact, taking a day or two off completely is (for me) a much better remedy. 

Welcome to DCS. Everybody. No matter what age youre at.

I grew up with all those simulators. The Janes series, Strike Commander, Falcon 3.0, Falcon 4.0, Falcon BMS. And of course the arcade ones from, for example Novalogic, too. But DCS really taught me dogfighting and energy management.

One thing to mention. The DCS F16 is a lot harder to master at the moment, than the F4 F16. Also the AI in DCS is much harder to beat than in F4.

Even if you feel too old to join a multiplayer server. Take advice from me as a 40 year old sim enthusiast: Do it. There will be a lot of young people around of course. Some also with bad manners and bad language 😉 But it is much more fun to fight human players than the sterile AI in DCS. You will soon realize there are some people who are way better than you. They will kill you in the first turn. But then there are also some people learning their aircraft. And you'll realize when they make a mistake and you'll get them.

If you are experienced in dogfighting but just a little rusty, you'll quickly develop a feeling when to engage a fight and when to disengage and reset the fight. Of course thats a question of mentality. Some people just fight until they die 😉 Just type in "dogfight" in the MP search. But dont go to the 1v1 slots. Go to the many vs many slots in: guns, missile, bvr . The DCS multiplayer experience is unbeatable fighting again real humans.

Edited by darkman222

5 hours ago, BuzzU said:

You're never too old. I'm 79.

Epic!  Just Epic, man!

• Like 2

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

34 minutes ago, DerekSpeare said:

Epic!  Just Epic, man!

Thanks everybody for the likes and thanks. I try to stay positive. The minute I say i'm too old. I'll be too old. Just ignore your age and keep doing what you enjoy.

I still elk hunt alone ay 11,000ft in my Colorado Rockies. I can't quit. I love elk meat and hunting with my old Hawken muzzleloader.

Carry on.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Buzz

I hope to be still flying when I’m at that age! Good on you!

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

---------------------------------------

Kiwis CAN fly!

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ @ 2.2Ghz | 2 Gigs DDR RAM | Sapphire X800XL 256mb | Creative SB Live 5.1 Digital | Seagate 120Gb SATA HDD | 17" CRT Flatscreen | Boston Acoustics 7500G

• ED Team
2 hours ago, SCPanda said:

Keep in mind F-16's FM is still pretty much work in progress. There're still somethings ED are working on to make the jet perform better and more realistically in BFM. 

Only remaining now is G-Onset and ITR which will be tweaked in the future. 

• Thanks 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

19 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Only remaining now is G-Onset and ITR which will be tweaked in the future. 

Thx BIGNEWY, but in ED's last update to F-16's flight model, the patch notes said this: "Tuning of the AoA/load factor limit for sustained turn rate (Ps) for CAT I. Instantaneous turn rates and accelerated rates are still undergoing adjustment." (source: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/changelog/openbeta/2.7.6.12852/)

As far as I know, ED has not done another flight model update to F-16, so based on what you said, is ED not going to adjust F-16's accelerated rates? 

6 hours ago, SCPanda said:

Thx BIGNEWY, but in ED's last update to F-16's flight model, the patch notes said this: "Tuning of the AoA/load factor limit for sustained turn rate (Ps) for CAT I. Instantaneous turn rates and accelerated rates are still undergoing adjustment." (source: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/changelog/openbeta/2.7.6.12852/)

As far as I know, ED has not done another flight model update to F-16, so based on what you said, is ED not going to adjust F-16's accelerated rates? 

G-Onset is how fast a plane can build up G's. In other words it's how fast the plane can accelerate in a turn. That could be the accelerated rates they're talking about.

Buzz

22 minutes ago, Sinclair_76 said:

In physics it's called jerk.

position - velocity - acceleration - jerk - snap - crackle - pop

That's more Engineer-ese 🙂 Physicist would just call it da/dt.

@Rukus If you've made the transition to VR, you may benefit from an app called VRNecksafer.  I have to admit, I'm unsure how it works with the Quest 2 (AFAIK, it's only for SteamVR), but it lets you set up curves to turn your view more than your head near the limits, since VR FOV is small enough it's tough to check six.