What is this new free Blackhawk mod?

e32lover

Hi,

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong section or breaking any rules. My friend just told me there is a new free DCS Blackhawk. I couldn't find any info on it until I stumbled across this Skyward website where they do claim to have a free Blackhawk available for download for DCS which I have downloaded.

What is this? I went to the steam store page and couldn't find it there. Is this just some crappy mod that some guys made or is it a proper aircraft? Can't decide if I should risk installing it or not. All my other thousands of dollars of mods have come straight from the DCS steam store and I want to keep my DCS as pure as possible (I remember messing up my MS Flightsim 2000 back in the day pretty bad with after market mods)

Is this a legit mod or should I avoid it?

Thanks for your advice. Please move to correct forum if this is the wrong one. 

2 hours ago, e32lover said:

Hi,

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong section or breaking any rules. My friend just told me there is a new free DCS Blackhawk. I couldn't find any info on it until I stumbled across this Skyward website where they do claim to have a free Blackhawk available for download for DCS which I have downloaded.

What is this? I went to the steam store page and couldn't find it there. Is this just some crappy mod that some guys made or is it a proper aircraft? Can't decide if I should risk installing it or not. All my other thousands of dollars of mods have come straight from the DCS steam store and I want to keep my DCS as pure as possible (I remember messing up my MS Flightsim 2000 back in the day pretty bad with after market mods)

Is this a legit mod or should I avoid it?

Thanks for your advice. Please move to correct forum if this is the wrong one. 

https://www.skywardfm.com/post/showcase-dcsworld-uh60l-black-hawk-mod

Check here

• Like 1

MOD Logo - 100.png

I just downloaded and installed it, first it didn't work when I installed it in steamapps/DCS etc but when I installed it in username/savedgames/DCS/mods/aircraft or whatever, it works fine. (Steam user)

It is actually quite nice! Pleasantly surprised. Don't expect the same level of refinement as the Huey or ka50 but it is a nice change. I'll be interested to see how it develops.

Are there any other good free mods? If so, where could I find them. The only free mods I've installed from 3rd parties have been missions but now I much prefer making my own since I figured out how to use the mission creator. 

Good luck!

And thanks for the free Blackhawk whoever made it!

12 minutes ago, e32lover said:

I just downloaded and installed it, first it didn't work when I installed it in steamapps/DCS etc but when I installed it in username/savedgames/DCS/mods/aircraft or whatever, it works fine. (Steam user)

It is actually quite nice! Pleasantly surprised. Don't expect the same level of refinement as the Huey or ka50 but it is a nice change. I'll be interested to see how it develops.

Are there any other good free mods? If so, where could I find them. The only free mods I've installed from 3rd parties have been missions but now I much prefer making my own since I figured out how to use the mission creator. 

Good luck!

https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/184-dcs-mods/

Can anyone please post an alternate link as Google is now locked out due to excessive downloads...

Nimbus

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz   Turbo 5.1 GHz, Asus Prime Motherboard B460M-A, Nvidia Geoforce RTX4090, 64gB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR 3600Mhz,Windows 10 Pro Reverb G2V2

On 1/16/2022 at 3:33 PM, e32lover said:

Good luck!

C130 super Hercules is nice, but best of the best is A4 Skyhawk. Which is indestingvisouable from a full priced module. 

• Like 1

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

I’m really interested in this one. I hope it’s developed into a payware mod with full PBR and full flight model fidelity because this chopper is awesome. Hopefully it gives either ED or other developers the encouragement that they need to properly roll this one out. 

as yet of course, I haven’t had a chance to even look at this version because of work and family commitments but it sounds like a cracking start. Their are plenty of us I would imagine, who don’t always feel the need to fly combat operations but simply love flying authentic chopper mods. 

• Like 1

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

31 minutes ago, Willie Nelson said:

I’m really interested in this one. I hope it’s developed into a payware mod with full PBR and full flight model fidelity because this chopper is awesome.

Never gonna happen. Unlicensed 3rd Party developers are not allowed to monetize on DCS. They are however allowed to offer free Mods. Some of which are really, really good (A-4E Skyhawk!). And some people/developers simply don't want to go through all the side effects that comes with being a professionel/licensed 3rd-Party developers (deadlines e.g.).

But there is absolutely no harm in using free mods. They are only installed in your savegames folder and don't overwrite or alter any DCS-files. If you don't use them in a mission they don't effect the game in any way. If you used them and due to some cache remains (e.g.) DCS has some hickups, simply restart (never happened to me though) and your fine. In the imaginary worst case, that DCS is really upset, simply delete the mod-folder in the savedgames/mods/aircraft/... , run a slow repair on DCS and your as good as new (never occured to me either).

I have installed: A-4E Skyhawk, Blackhawk, Starfighter, Super Tucano and probably some more I can't remember - and never had any issues in DCS due to them. Not once.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

17 hours ago, Hiob said:

Never gonna happen. Unlicensed 3rd Party developers are not allowed to monetize on DCS. They are however allowed to offer free Mods. Some of which are really, really good (A-4E Skyhawk!). And some people/developers simply don't want to go through all the side effects that comes with being a professionel/licensed 3rd-Party developers (deadlines e.g.).

But there is absolutely no harm in using free mods. They are only installed in your savegames folder and don't overwrite or alter any DCS-files. If you don't use them in a mission they don't effect the game in any way. If you used them and due to some cache remains (e.g.) DCS has some hickups, simply restart (never happened to me though) and your fine. In the imaginary worst case, that DCS is really upset, simply delete the mod-folder in the savedgames/mods/aircraft/... , run a slow repair on DCS and your as good as new (never occured to me either).

I have installed: A-4E Skyhawk, Blackhawk, Starfighter, Super Tucano and probably some more I can't remember - and never had any issues in DCS due to them. Not once.

I hear you. And I suspect that you’re right, I just hope you’re wrong, this machine is a beast and I’d love to see it given respect and licensed properly. Let’s hope you’re wrong. 

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

8 hours ago, Willie Nelson said:

I hear you. And I suspect that you’re right, I just hope you’re wrong, this machine is a beast and I’d love to see it given respect and licensed properly. Let’s hope you’re wrong. 

There is no harm in hoping. Don't let it keep you from enjoying the free mods though!

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Just installed it..........flew for 30 minutes. 

Friggin awesome!

I knew nothing of this and it looks and flies fantastic, proper vortex ring state that you can't just easily power out of, decent propensity for dynamic rollover, good looking interior and exterior. I'm going to have some fun with this bad boy!

Only problem is now I have to get used to AAR in another machine, just when I wsa starting to get the Viper sorted!

Edited by Willie Nelson
  • Like 1