Iron Maiden for KC-135

Nealius

Looking at anecdotal photo evidence, it looks like most USN aircraft tank from the "Iron Maiden" and not the MPRS. I can't find exact dates for the MPRS other than 20 aircraft being outfitted with the equipment as of 2020, but it certainly didn't exist during the Tomcat's tenure and may have just started to be a thing around the time of our Lot20 Hornet. Most pictures of Tomcats and Hornets tanking from 1991 to 2007 are from Iron Maidens. It would be a boost to realism if we could have the Iron Maiden system as well.

• Like 4

They did try it a few years back but they were having problems with it working... Maybe with the new code being done for AAR it might comeback in a working state.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

On 1/16/2022 at 8:33 AM, Nealius said:

Looking at anecdotal photo evidence, it looks like most USN aircraft tank from the "Iron Maiden" and not the MPRS. I can't find exact dates for the MPRS other than 20 aircraft being outfitted with the equipment as of 2020, but it certainly didn't exist during the Tomcat's tenure and may have just started to be a thing around the time of our Lot20 Hornet. Most pictures of Tomcats and Hornets tanking from 1991 to 2007 are from Iron Maidens. It would be a boost to realism if we could have the Iron Maiden system as well.

Back in the mid 90's, the Navy paid for the contract to modify 45 KC-135Rs to the MPRS standard. Because of the limited amount of fuel being passed via the BDA (Iron Maiden), they deemed it necessary to allow more than one receiver to refuel and decrease the likelihood of a "sour" tanker. IIRC, only 27 sets of pods were delivered and currently the AF maintains 20 aircraft. 

The Tomcat WAS refueling from MPRS and was very involved with the initial testing (as was the S-3). Wing clearance, flow rates, etc...
The reason you believe that most Navy aircraft refuel from the BDA is that there are simply more KC-135s without MPRS, than with. A BDA can quickly be mounted on a boom, as the mission requires. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MAXsenna said:

You guys keep mentioning my favourite band, so I had to find out what the OP's about. Came across this fun read, but after reading it, I don't understand why you'd want this. 😊 

https://sofrep.com/amp/fightersweep/why-navy-pilots-hate-the-kc-135/

Even apart from the basket magically snapping on the refuel probe while still meters off, AAR in DCS is way to easy and forgiving on the MPRS currently. Adding this option (if done right) would add a proper challenge. I'm all for the OP's wish 👍 

So:

+1

• Like 2

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

5 minutes ago, sirrah said:

Even apart from the basket magically snapping on the refuel probe while still meters off, AAR in DCS is way to easy and forgiving on the MPRS currently. Adding this option (if done right) would add a proper challenge. I'm all for the OP's wish 👍 

So:

+1

Haha! Fair enough! 😉
Cheers!