A slew of random-ish questions.

Fenin

I understand you're very busy Rudel, and I'm just being a spaz, but if you have time and want to indulge me I have a slew of random questions.  I'll try to sort them in a sensible manner.

Heavy Bungee Spring

AN 01-45HA-1 page 24 talks about a heavy bungee spring 'on some of these airplanes' that causes a change of trim when the gear is pulled down.  Is that the big coiled spring that's visible on the front of the landing gear handle?  If it's not, is our F4U-1D going to be equipped with one?

Takeoff Power

AN 01-45HA-1 page 35 mentions a modification done to some aircraft to allow 2800 RPM/54" Hg takeoff power.  It also mentions there needing to be a placard placed in the cockpit of aircraft that have been modified as such.  I'm assuming ours won't be able to achieve that power takeoff, as I don't see the placard anywhere.  Is that accurate?

Prop Pull thru 
Other sims have a prop pull thru animation modeled, will we have one as well?  Very understandable if we don't.

Rocket Safety Plug
Will the rocket safety plug be modeled?  It's visually in the cockpit pics that have been posted, and plugged in, but a lot of procedures involve removing it to double (triple if you include master arm itself) safety the rockets.  I was curious if you plan on having it be removable, and if so will it just be a click on/off model into the rocket station distributor box.  AN 01-45HA-1 page 58 for those following along with my manual shenanigans. 

Signal Pistol

Going to assume that this one is tossed?  Seeing as how we're not Other Sim #2, but I'm curious nonetheless. 

I think that's all of them that I can think of off the top of my head, forgive me for being overly excited.  Or don't, since you'll be getting my money soon enough, hopefully.

Heavy Bungee Spring

AN 01-45HA-1 page 24 talks about a heavy bungee spring 'on some of these airplanes' that causes a change of trim when the gear is pulled down.  Is that the big coiled spring that's visible on the front of the landing gear handle?  If it's not, is our F4U-1D going to be equipped with one?

While doing research, I only came upon the Birdcage and the Dash 1A that showed the bungee spring.  There was no schematic for the Dash 1D and the schematic for the Dash 4 does not show it.  As the pilot's manual (dated 1946) states, "some" aircraft have it; it may be referring to early Corsairs only as the Dash 1D and Dash 4 had uprated engines.

The spring is actually located in the aft of the aircraft connected to the elevators' control pivots and levers.  It's not connected in any way to the landing gear themselves.  The reason for any changes in the trim would be due to the airspeed changes as the gear drops.  The springs would have been a buffer for the drastic changes in speed and keep the controls soft instead of a jerking motion.

Edit In:  This excerpt is from A-2 construction manual.  While my statement above holds true, also, below is the engineers' description.

image.png

Fig 1)  Birdcage and Dash 1A

unknown.png

Fig 2) Dash 4

image.png

Takeoff Power

AN 01-45HA-1 page 35 mentions a modification done to some aircraft to allow 2800 RPM/54" Hg takeoff power.  It also mentions there needing to be a placard placed in the cockpit of aircraft that have been modified as such.  I'm assuming ours won't be able to achieve that power takeoff, as I don't see the placard anywhere.  Is that accurate?

We are still testing engine parameters, but as far as I'm aware, it is modeled.  There is no warning placard in game yet, but the checklist on the instrument panel has the RPM listed as 2800.

As a reminder, it was only used for a duration of not more than one minute in case of an emergency or during carrier take-offs in a combat environment.  Otherwise 2700 is to be used during training or ferrying.

Prop Pull thru 
Other sims have a prop pull thru animation modeled, will we have one as well?  Very understandable if we don't.

No, put if the proper start-up procedures are not correctly done, the prop will only spin when trying to start it, and stop spinning when the starter switch is let go.

Rocket Safety Plug
Will the rocket safety plug be modeled?  It's visually in the cockpit pics that have been posted, and plugged in, but a lot of procedures involve removing it to double (triple if you include master arm itself) safety the rockets.  I was curious if you plan on having it be removable, and if so will it just be a click on/off model into the rocket station distributor box.  AN 01-45HA-1 page 58 for those following along with my manual shenanigans. 

The plug is only for visuals.  In any case, the plug was not to be messed with by the pilot.  The ground crew took care of it.

Signal Pistol

Going to assume that this one is tossed?  Seeing as how we're not Other Sim #2, but I'm curious nonetheless. 

We do have one modeled incase we develop an early Corsair.  In real life, it was removed from the cockpit because it was found that exhaust fumes were being sucked up the flare tube into the cockpit.

image.png

Edited by -Rudel-
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 8

https://magnitude-3.com/

https://www.facebook.com/magnitude3llc

https://www.youtube.com/@magnitude_3

i9 13900K, 128GB RAM, RTX 4090, Win10Pro, 2 x 2TB SSD

i9 10980XE, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090Ti, Win10 Pro, 2 x 256GB SSD, 4 x 512GB SSD RAID 0, 6 x 4TB HDD RAID 6, 9361-8i RAID Controller

i7 4960X, 64GB RAM, GTX Titan X Black, Win10 Pro, 512GB PCIe SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD