Making a Collective Damper System for Virpil Rotor Base

CrashMeTwice

Greetings Pilots,

Hope you all had a great start into the new year and keep staying healthy!

I have started a new build, making a Collective Damper System for my Virpil VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base. The problem I have encountered with my base before starting this mod was that the collective moved downward by itself. I had to re-adjust the force adjustment bolt after a week or two flying my heli in DCS. This became quite annoying as I had to keep my hand constantly on the collective. If I moved my hand off to switch something on or off on my SharKa control panel my heli was going wild. The solution was to stop flying and re-tighten the force adjustment bolt.

Tedious doesn't quite cut it, especially while trying to achieve the same tension on that bolt as I had it set before to make it feel the same.

Now, I started this project to remedy the issue and I am about 3/4 there. Besides the damper I purchased from Ali, I also will be integrating a counter weight to see if it makes any different in the feel of things. I'll make it removable in case I was to ambitious and got carried away 🙂

I attached the video what I have filmed so far and would love to hear from you on any suggestions you may have.

I hope I get the second video part up within the next 10 days. If there is any interest I will add some images I have a bit further along from the video above.

You all have a great day! See you catching air.

• Like 6

On 1/19/2022 at 8:33 AM, Spatz said:

Very nice 🙂 looking forward to part 2

I hope I have the 2nd Part finished by Fri the 28th. Thanks so much for watching!

On 1/19/2022 at 11:06 AM, jabbabzh said:

May you sell final result ?

Sorry, I just do it for myself, but thanks for your interest and watching my project!

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 9:09 AM, HC_Official said:

I love that custom made mounting you have the collective on , I wish virpil had made one like that 😞

Thanks so much! Yes, some mounting system from Virpil  for use on Aluminum Profiles would be great. However, I can see that the demand would likely not justify the cost of making something like and I also would have nothing to do in my workshop 😉.   I am using these profiles a lot and also planning on making a mount for my rudder setup. I am sitting to far away from my desk and the pedals keep slipping away despite that I have now a small stud (2x4x14") against the wall.

41 minutes ago, CrashMeTwice said:

Thanks so much! Yes, some mounting system from Virpil  for use on Aluminum Profiles would be great. However, I can see that the demand would likely not justify the cost of making something like and I also would have nothing to do in my workshop 😉.   I am using these profiles a lot and also planning on making a mount for my rudder setup. I am sitting to far away from my desk and the pedals keep slipping away despite that I have now a small stud (2x4x14") against the wall.

For myself I ended up taking the virpil mount that came with the collective and taking an angle grinder to it to shorted it to fit my sim pit

• Like 1

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

For myself I ended up taking the virpil mount that came with the collective and taking an angle grinder to it to shorted it to fit my sim pit

image.png

Edited by HC_Official
  • Like 1

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

1 hour ago, HC_Official said:

For myself I ended up taking the virpil mount that came with the collective and taking an angle grinder to it to shorted it to fit my sim pit.

Thanks for your picture, that's awesome! A simple and functional solution. It wouldn't work for me because my mount is on my simpit (located left) but not at or under the chair. I am currently using a cushy office chair (slightly modified though). I am still working on the damper system, when finished, I upload an updated image. This should explain better why I made this mount.

c_mount.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone hoping you doing all well!

The Collective Damper System for my Virpil VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base has been completed.

Getting images and videos off my camera while I am typing this.

Will be working on the Part 2 of 2 video today and it should be up by the end of this week.

Thank you for following my project!

You all have a great day!

cds_log1.jpg

• Like 1

Hi everyone, hope everybody is in good health!

Just thought I mention something about these China steering dampers.
I have found that most steering dampers are to restrictive and feel "sticky" from the get go for use on our heli stuff.
I am using these on my own projects like this one. However, I found a fix for that issue. You can change the "stiction" of steering dampers by replacing the oil inside with one of lower viscosity.  I have found that most dampers have a 15w oil inside. You can change to a 10w and that's what I did and now everything works fine. There are plenty of videos on YouTube on how to change or replace it. Look for videos on how to fix steering dampers. I purchased my oil from Amazon, it's called Lucas Oil 10772 Synthetic Fork Oil 10wt. Medium. You can try lower weight ones too. Just a thought.

Stay well and don't be a grouchy pilot!🙂

• Like 2

Hello Pilots!

I have finally completed the second part of the video last night. You may want to check it out as I show how everything was made.

Now I have to think about what I am going to do as my next project but before that I will be enjoying my new collective setup and put in some air time!

#Make a difference today, find a fellow newbie pilot and help out!

Have a awesome day you all!

• Like 5

On 2/6/2022 at 8:41 AM, Wychmaster said:

Not a real high-end construction, but a cheap one. I tested a counter-weight solution. Works like a charm. No sticktion and the collective remains always in position 🙂

Well, if it works why not and your cat seems to approve of it, that's all what matters😉.

I have a cat myself but only cares what kind of food is in the dish, if she doesn't like it then my good day I thought I had is over😾.

Am 7.2.2022 um 18:20 schrieb CrashMeTwice:

Well, if it works why not and your cat seems to approve of it, that's all what matters😉

My cat isn't amused when I occupy his throne for my silly games 😉

I would have build something more permanent, but due to space restrictions I have to be able to disassemble everything after flying 😕

By the way, how is the "sticktion" on your damper solution? I found it too high if I tightend the builtin bolts on the collective so that it stayed in place in all positions. Fine corrections were a bit hard that way since it started jumping once you applied enough pressure to overcome the friction.

With a counter weight, you can almost set it to no friction at all, but that is a bit too sensitive so I retightened the bolts to have just "the right amount". Now it feels really nice and smooth. Are you happy with the current amount of friction in your setup?

Am 7.2.2022 um 18:20 schrieb CrashMeTwice:

I have a cat myself but only cares what kind of food is in the dish, if she doesn't like it then my good day I thought I had is over😾.

Well, the one on the picture is more interested in cuddling. Worst thing about it is that he likes to jump onto my lap when I wear VR goggles and try to perform precision landings between buildings 😄

On 2/10/2022 at 5:16 AM, Wychmaster said:

My cat isn't amused when I occupy his throne for my silly games 😉

I would have build something more permanent, but due to space restrictions I have to be able to disassemble everything after flying 😕

By the way, how is the "sticktion" on your damper solution? I found it too high if I tightend the builtin bolts on the collective so that it stayed in place in all positions. Fine corrections were a bit hard that way since it started jumping once you applied enough pressure to overcome the friction.

With a counter weight, you can almost set it to no friction at all, but that is a bit too sensitive so I retightened the bolts to have just "the right amount". Now it feels really nice and smooth. Are you happy with the current amount of friction in your setup?

Well, the one on the picture is more interested in cuddling. Worst thing about it is that he likes to jump onto my lap when I wear VR goggles and try to perform precision landings between buildings 😄

I have no "sticktion" at all and I can set the damper to the desired resistance (stick heft) via the knob on the damper. Everything is smooth as cutting through butter. My bolts are just tightened enough not to rattle. This project worked just perfect for me. I don't want to go ever back to the original setup.

Tried VR (Oculus, borrowed from my son for a day) but I just can't get used to it no matter how hard I try. I get really motion sick, I guess I am just a desk pilot after all.

Kinda like me, my cat is too old for such acrobatics. 😄

I thought the same It takes time to get used to VR ... every day few minutes and you can do it after a while - at first I couldnt even roll on the ground ... not even flying - today I love it and especially Helis they are the best in VR

Edited by Spatz

8 hours ago, Spatz said:

I thought the same It takes time to get used to VR ... every day few minutes and you can do it after a while - at first I couldnt even roll on the ground ... not even flying - today I love it and especially Helis there are the best in VR

I guess I should give it another try. 🤢😉

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Am 6.2.2022 um 14:41 schrieb Wychmaster:

Not a real high-end construction, but a cheap one. I tested a counter-weight solution. Works like a charm. No sticktion and the collective remains always in position 🙂

20220206_131901.jpg

Oh Boy😂

IMG_20220602_174123.jpg

Marvel Balance GIF

Edited by Hobel
  • Like 1