Engine start, taxi and fly with RPM lever at 0

Tuturuu

Hey guys,

Just noticed after take-off that i actually completely forgot to set my RPM on cold start via the lever. My prop RPM interface (via the 4 way Switch right on the left of the main gauges pannel) was unchanged so set in Auto by default

When i change It's position it is actually changing the RPM (so back to almost 0 -> on the way up to 25/27)

I retried it and it does this everytime. Shouldn't the propeller just fail to start ?

What do you mean by "propeller fail to start" ?

This switch on Curtis electric propeller panel allow to control pitch directly so you can manually adjust rpm, but in this mode engine rpm will not be governed. 

You definitely can start and taxi with prop lever full aft, but take off i'm not sure.

Are you sure that prop switch was in auto position not in fixed pitch mode ?

If you touch this switch it will drop to fixed pitch mode, you have to flip it up to go to auto constant speed mode.

In auto mode and rpm full back prop governor will maintain very low rpm something like 1700 or even lower, at this setting take off will take a lot of run way if even possible, but when switch was moved in to fixed pitch mode you would take off with no problem.

BTW on the ground rpm lever position does not make any difference while taxing or warming up engine or starting up engine, this lever determine target rpm for governor, if engine's rpm are below governor range, let say that governing range is 1700-2700 in P-47, lever position change nothing while engine rpm are below 1700 which are on the ground, you warms up engine at 1200rpm and taxing at around 1000 rpm.

mGiiCjK.png

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Yes i'm sure as i guess it wouldn't have any effect on the RPM when moving the lever then - however rethinking about it, it happened playing on SoW.

I'll try again and post my exact start procedure with the track. And more so, Check if it happens on regular instant mission cold start.

Oh ok i thought RPM at aft would prevent the motor to start but i guess it is not 0 RPM per se but more a fixed Window, interesting.

Edited by Tuturuu

I did test fly yesterday and i noticed no anomalies, everything works as expected.

P-47 uses electric constant speed prop, and rpm range is between 1600 to 2700. RPM lever set this rpm limiter for the engine through prop governing unit, when lever is full aft it set rpm limiter to 1600rpm, so as long engine rpm are below 1600, governing unit is not activated, prop pitch is full fine, as soon engine rpm reach 1600rpm governing unit will increase prop pitch and by this it will prevent rpm to go any higher then 1600, more throttle you add,  pitch of the prop will increase accordingly to hold 1600rpm.

Manual says pilot to set rpm lever full forward for safety reasons to makes sure that prop rpm is set to max before take off, so on the ground this lever must be at full on position every time, after you land,  set rpm to max, cockpit check list prop lever full on etc etc, at every step forces pilot to check it, taking off at full aft position would end up in disaster probably.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Hello here is my track on the instant action cold start on channel

I noticed i use Oil dilution (which i think doesn't work but i like to use it) switch ON when warming up
Sorry for the start up procedure a little chaotic ahah 
Maybe am i missing something but i shouldn't be at 2700 RPM from take-off ? RPM Axis fully AFT should set the RPM to maximum 1600, switch propeller on auto
 Here is also a capture

P47_RPM.trk

Edited by Tuturuu

1 hour ago, Tuturuu said:

Maybe am i missing something but i shouldn't be at 2700 RPM from take-off ? RPM Axis fully AFT should set the RPM to maximum 1600, switch propeller on auto

You are right, you shouldn't be able to reach 2700RPM with propeller pitch lever fully aft.

Propeller pitch remained whole time at 18°, like you did not have el. power for propeller pitch motor.

And it seems that you kill your propeller pitch motor's power supply by switching the Ignition switch and the Battery switch in wrong order.

You first switched the Ignition switch to BATT position and then the Battery switch to On. It should by vice versa.

Edited by saburo_cz

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

There may be some track issues but i Switch the battery and magneto everytime after main tank selec and pumping (maybe it is not a Logic procedure tho ahah)

In the track you should see me take-off, i replayed it and it happened but i know tracking is weird.

I didn't put in on the track but as soon as i move the RPM axis, it will module the RPM on It's correct position thus making me feel like maybe it is a bug related to oil dilution or my order in start procedure (as it wouldn't move at all anyway if it was a breaker or simulated Switch/Electronic failure related ?)

My start procedure on the video and when this occurs :

Main tank select

Priming Pump x4

Battery ON

Magneto on both

Energies when putting both flaps on neutral

Contact + i have a binding setting the RPM to auto rich from a switch and not an axis on hotas (maybe also an issue)

Generator ON, Pitot/pilot? heat, oil dilution On

Once warm up is over i Switch oil dilution off (probably useless)

No need to use oil dilution it does not work at that moment, i use mixture lever auto-rich bind as well i have no problem with that.

I switch generator ON before start up. 

When you spawn aircraft on the ground, controls axis are not synced when sync option is off, so you have to move your hardware axis to sync them.

If your rpm lever is full aft on your hardware, and you spawn plane, rpm lever in game will not be full aft, there is option in game to force hotas sync.

This is only thing which comes to my mind.

Edited by grafspee

6 hours ago, grafspee said:

No need to use oil dilution it does not work at that moment, i use mixture lever auto-rich bind as well i have no problem with that.

I switch generator ON before start up. 

When you spawn aircraft on the ground, controls axis are not synced when sync option is off, so you have to move your hardware axis to sync them.

If your rpm lever is full aft on your hardware, and you spawn plane, rpm lever in game will not be full aft, there is option in game to force hotas sync.

This is only thing which comes to my mind.

I think it wouldn't explain the setup on the capture as the lever shouldn't appear aft but since it's only seems to happen to me, It's most probably an issue with inputs/Sync on my side as you said.

It is not impacting badly the 'gameplay' in anyway 😁 Until maybe someone else meet this issue then 

Thanks for the responses