Stand-alone JTAC module

CallsignPunch

This module should be fairly easy but would add soooo much especially to MP.  A DCS: JTAC module would allow a player to assume a ground role preferably on foot or in a humvee and call in air strikes from other players or AI through the menu.

a few features that would make a JTAC module great.

- Basic JTAC equipment such as:

1. Vector 21Bs ….basically strong binos that also give azimuth and range

2. SOFLAM or LLDR for FLIR target acquisition and laser designation 

3. Rover 6 or FAC utility suite…in my day the Rover 3.  A DL system that allows the JTAC to receive aircraft pod feed on a handheld device.  The modern system seems to have a lot more cool features, but pod feed alone would be awesome for target talk ons. 

4. Izlid or IR pointer to assist the JTAC with target talkons (the aircraft pods should also get IR pointers 

5. Ir stobe, vs17 panel and smoke grenade options for JTAC to mark their position 

AI enemy mechanics that deal with JTAC detection.  Basically, currently it seems the AI always knows where you are if in range even in Helos behind concealment.  This needs fixed DCS wide but for the JTAC module some way for there to be a distinguished difference between the JTAC in a position to be detected or say camouflaged on a hillside and the AI has no idea a JTAC/ observer is present.

this would be a game changer….ED, yall should look into it. 

• Like 3

i9-9900k, Asus ROG Strix Z390-3, 32GB DDR4-3000, MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 2TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD| Reverb G2| Custom Simpit- A variety of grips (TM/Virpil) on floor mounted TM Base, WinWing Super Tauris Throttles, Virpil Collective, TM Pedals, TM MFDs

Paid Module Wishlist: AH-64A, T-38, B-1B, U-2, MH-60 Pavehawk, A-10A

Map Wishlist: NAS Oceana (w/Norfolk and Expansive Ocean), Korea (Modern), Cuba, Columbia

Ai Wishlist: Ships, SOF infantry, SOF Vehicles, AH/MH-6, P8, 

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but much of what you're asking for is already possible with ground based recon units if you have Combined Arms.

See attachment.

Untitled.png

While looking through the binoculars of a HMMWV Jeep, as you can see, you can get range, elevation and bearing to target.  In the image we're lasing with 1688 which will be seen at night with NVGs, and the target coordinates are visible.  You can even switch to IR imaging.  With that information, you should be able to quite easily get someone on target if they know their aircraft.  If all else fails, you can even (quite unrealistically) put smoke on the target.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Great suggestion…I was thinking about this the other day. I wouldn’t limit the JTAC role to ground units though.
Any slow mover (helicopters or A10’s) can take up the role as JTAC.

Especially with the upcoming Apache (and Kiowa) which would be perfect for the job when the FCR becomes available.

I think it would be amazing to hover above the battlefield in an Apache and assign bombing targets to AI/player A10’s, F16’s or F/A-18’s…

• Like 1

I agree with all of the above.

But isn't this essentially what Combined Arms should (keyword there) provide?

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.