A question concerning the AA-10 Semi Active Radar Homing missile

4H_Ccrashh

I know that the semi-active radar homing AIM-7 requires a lock from the launch platform during the entire TOF of the missile from launch to impact. Does the AA-10 semi-active missile have the same restriction?

I ask this because I was practicing against an SU-27. I launched, he launched, I press, he breaks hard to his left , beams my radar and I lose lock. He loses lock as well, the launch warning and lock tones go away in my headset. Both missiles go stupid.

As he turns back into me I get a lock with a sidewinder and launch, then I blow up from a missile hit. His AA-10 that had gone dumb got smart again as his nose came on.

I was under the impression that once semi active radar homing missiles go dumb after launch they stay dumb. At least my AIM-7 does.

In Tac-View you see his missile go straight and dumb as he maneuvers, then gets smart again. It was going to pass down my left side  but instead makes a hard left turn and hits me.

I'm running the latest beta with the super carrier mod.

Attached is my track and the TAC-VIEW File

Tacview-20220118-065457-DCS-1 Case 1airstart ALERT 5 2_SU-27Day nice.zip.acmi server-20220118-065436.trk

Edited by 4H_Ccrashh

Make sure your jammer isn't active when you're being launched upon. The R-27 family has HOJ capability, and you won't get a launch warning even though the missile is still tracking you in that case.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Well that didn't take long. It happened again. Attached the Tav-View File.  Same thing, we both fire he evades all missiles go stupid. He turns back toward me and his missile goes smart again. This time I got another lock tone in my headset. I assumed he had shot another missile. I went into the notch and barely made it. Died later but that is a another issue completely related to my inability to fly the jet correctly.

Maybe this thread should be moved to an official bug thread. The AA-10 Semi active being able to reacquire is a major advantage over the AIM-7 and as far as I have researched not at all accurate.

Tacview-20220118-143819-DCS-1 Case 1airstart ALERT 5 2_SU-27Day nice.zip.acmi

just for giggles last post in this thread, I don't want to beat a dead horse. Happened again. This time I took two AIM-54's. Shot down one SU-27 at range  switched to Sparrow, locked second guy up at 20 miles and launched head on. He also Launched. He evades my missile but also loses lock.  I switch to heaters and close in.  His nose comes around and again his missile which had gone dumb and was suppose to pass down my left side gets smart again, makes a hard left turn and reacquires me.

TRACK and Tac-View attached

Tacview-20220118-151818-DCS-1 Case 1airstart ALERT 5 2_SU-27Day nice.zip.acmi server-20220118-151805.trk

Edited by 4H_Ccrashh

9 hours ago, 4H_Ccrashh said:

semi active radar homing missiles go dumb after launch they stay dumb

In DCS, all SARH can reacquire if you relock the original target, and the target is still in the missile seeker's FoV (under special conditions you can actually make it relock to another target but thats a whole other can of worms 😄).

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

If you are in the tomcat there is currently a bug where the RWR spike will stop showing if the bandit maneuvers. I’ll bet you are seeing this. I’m not 100% on what exactly causes it but it has something to do with the threat maneuvering, and then your spike will fade, then after they pitch back even if they are still spiking you (locked supporting a missile) they show back up on the RWR as nails, so you think you are safe, and their missile is still guiding.

It sounds like you are running into this issue. It’s been a bit of a problem over the last couple of months since you will just run into his missile with zero SA that its still guiding.

Recommend you post this in the Tomcat bug forum to see if they have any additional data on it.

Edited by KlarSnow
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Bringing this back up. I was on a 4Ya server in a tomcat.  Engaged an F-14A he launch a sparrow, I launched a Sparrow. He maneuvered and lost his lock on me . His sparrow went stupid. He turned back in got a radar lock and his Sparrow got smart again made a hard left turn and hit me in the face.

Sparrows should not do that.

22 hours ago, 4H_Ccrashh said:

Bringing this back up. I was on a 4Ya server in a tomcat.  Engaged an F-14A he launch a sparrow, I launched a Sparrow. He maneuvered and lost his lock on me . His sparrow went stupid. He turned back in got a radar lock and his Sparrow got smart again made a hard left turn and hit me in the face.

Sparrows should not do that.

http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/weapons.html#boresight-mode

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria