A One Stop Shop for Corsair, and Navy Training Videos around the time of WW2.

Fenin

So, about a week ago I decided to put together as many videos that I could find on either the Corsair (Such as the ZenosWarbirds 'Flying the F4U' video) or generic Navy Training video material as possible into a YouTube playlist.  I want to share it with everyone now in hopes of maybe helping people out in the long term.  If there are any videos that people think need to be added to the list, please let me know!  But at the moment it's sitting at 35 collected videos, and honestly I couldn't find much else to add to it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/12/2023 at 4:31 PM, Cunctator said:

Missing from the list; a Royal Navy Training film about landing the Corsair on a carrier:

Well, this is more like the standard WW2 carrier pattern, but not for the Corsair.

1) In the Corsair you can't lower the hook before the tailwheel is down.

2) If you start your turn when abeam the LSO you end up aft of the ship and have a little straightaway before trapping. Fine in a Hellcat, but deadly in a Corsair. You start your turn on final when the forward leading edge of the left wing touches the stern of the ship, then put the left side of the nose on the middle of the ramp as it moves away from you. This is a great source with lots of insights:

https://www.aviatorsdatabase.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/F4U-Corsair-Carrier-Qualification.pdf

• Like 4

3 hours ago, JD Swann said:

I've never heard this before. Where did you find it.

The tail hook is integrated into the tail wheel assembly itself.  The tailwheel doors cover the whole assembly including the hook bar when the gear is up except the hook itself and a small part of the tail wheel.  This prevents the hook from being extended unless the landing gear is down.

You can see how it connects to the tail wheel assembly in this image and also the notch on the bottom of the tail where the hook end is visible when the doors are closed.

F4U-4 97475.jpg

• Like 1

Aircraft: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, F-5E, FC3, AV-8B, Mirage 2000C, L-39, Huey, F-86, P-51, P-47, Spitfire, Mosquito, Supercarrier

Maps: Persian Gulf, Syria, NTTR, Marianas, Normandy 2, Channel

Upcoming Modules Wishlist: A-7E, A-6E, F-4, F-8J, MiG-17F, A-1H, F-100D, Kola Peninsula

25 minutes ago, Stackup said:

The tail hook is integrated into the tail wheel assembly itself.  The tailwheel doors cover the whole assembly including the hook bar when the gear is up except the hook itself and a small part of the tail wheel.  This prevents the hook from being extended unless the landing gear is down.

You can see how it connects to the tail wheel assembly in this image and also the notch on the bottom of the tail where the hook end is visible when the doors are closed.

Fascinating. I never noticed that before. Any idea what happens if you put the tail hook lever in the down position with the gear up?

18 minutes ago, JD Swann said:

Any idea what happens if you put the tail hook lever in the down position with the gear up?

Nope, but I assume there is probably a mechanical lockout that prevents it from moving.  The geometry of the "hook stowed" position also changes between gear up and gear down positions due to the hook being mounted halfway up the tailwheel assembly.  With the gear up, the hook will be in a more level position, while with the gear down and hook up, the hook is angled up towards the tail.  

If there isn't any kind of lockout, the actuator would likely try to force the hook out the doors and through the tail wheel resulting in something breaking.  It could even bring the plane down given that in the up position, the hook assembly is very close to the elevator control linkages.

Corsair drawing.jpg

Aircraft: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, F-5E, FC3, AV-8B, Mirage 2000C, L-39, Huey, F-86, P-51, P-47, Spitfire, Mosquito, Supercarrier

Maps: Persian Gulf, Syria, NTTR, Marianas, Normandy 2, Channel

Upcoming Modules Wishlist: A-7E, A-6E, F-4, F-8J, MiG-17F, A-1H, F-100D, Kola Peninsula

4 hours ago, Stackup said:

Nope, but I assume there is probably a mechanical lockout that prevents it from moving.

Yes there is indeed, landing gear and hook controls are inter-locked.

arrestorhookcontrols.jpg

The US manual (the excerpt is from the British Corsair Pilots manual) also recommends to place the arrestor hook lever in the parking position during combat, to prevent the lose of hydraulic fluid due to possible combat damage. 

Edited by Cunctator
  • Thanks 1