IZLID (IR Zoom Laser Illuminator-Designator)

Sinclair_76

IZLID's have been mounted to the 30mm to enhance coordination between air-ground units. It's only visible with NVG and not FLIR. 

The lasers have been used a lot to point targets out for aircraft 

The other way around an IZLID mounted on the gun can be used to point out feature/subjects of interest to ground forces in a visual manner.

• 3 weeks later...

The reference material (251-10 dated 2005) doesn't mention the laser pointer.

However, I'm not sure if they are sticking to a 2005 version LBA, since in one of the release pictures you can clearly see a CMWS CIU panel at the right.

The only mention of CMWS in the 2005 document is on the WCA description, therefore, it's unclear if it was installed at that time, I thought it was installed around 2007 or 2008.

Looking at late block 2 apaches, if you see the center pedestal, below the check over speed tests and wiper panels, you will see a panel that isn't displayed on the ED released pictures, it has controls for an IR laser for the AWS, the blue force tracker, and an IR strobe.

I believe it may have something to do with the IZLID.

Later apaches just have controls for the Laser pointer in the WPN page.

• 10 months later...

Hello Everyone, after researching a few stuff about the IZLID it seem like the IZLID (IR ZOOM LASER ILLUMINATOR-DESIGNATOR) was added on the apache in 2007 which means our apache is eligible to getting the IZLID the TC 1-251 mentions that the 2007 apache gets the IZLID and shows you how to operate it, is it possible to get this on our apache as we have proof of it being available within our timeframe. would be helpful to point out stuff to other Helos around us that cant use LST like the Huey, Hip and Hind and also Fixed wing aircraft if Needed.

unknown (3).png

Edited by Yuto
  • Like 8

• Yuto changed the title to IZLID (IR ZOOM LASER ILLUMINATOR-DESIGNATOR) on our 2005-2010 AH-64D BLOCK 2 V9.1

i agree, after further investigation i've come to a conclusion that the IZLID is a thing within the time-frame of our upcoming apache and is a very reasonable thing to have, as mentioned by Yuto the TC 1-251 shows proof of the 2007 apache getting the IZLID.

• Like 4

Phantoms Phorever!

F4.jpeg

• ED Team

Hi all, 

I have checked with the team, this is not planned for our AH-64D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

2 minutes ago, MstrCmdr said:

Gotcha.  Can the M-TADS not emit an IR beam?  In the A-10 you can select IR, laser, or both.

There is a version of the tads that will have that ability, but the version they are emulating in game does not, and the version that does have that ability was not installed on the d model.  The izlid for all points and purposes is a high powered ir laser pointer. The tads can do laser range finding and laser designating

Edited by kgillers3

1 minute ago, kgillers3 said:

There is a version of the tads that will have that ability, but the version they are emulating in game does not, and the version that does have that ability was not installed on the d model

Thanks for the info.  In that case I hope they give us the IZLID.

• ED Team

When 9.1 avionics was prevalent in the fleet during the time period, not all units had these devices installed.  Even when a unit had them, not every airframe within a given unit had one installed or available.  Although as time went on they were more common, just not a fleet-wide standard piece of equipment.

I'm not advocating for or against it, just providing clarification that it wasn't a standard piece of equipment back then on every airframe in every unit.

Edited by Raptor9
grammar, as usual
  • Thanks 1

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

• 2 months later...

Saw how useful the A10 IZLID is in a recent multiplayer mission and apparently all apaches get this because it’s just mounted to the gun.

Correction, according to raptor it was not standard fleet wide in given timeframe. Still would like to have it though

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/291345-izlid-ir-zoom-laser-illuminator-designator-on-our-2005-2010-ah-64d-block-2-v91/?do=findComment&comment=4875304

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

• ED Team
47 minutes ago, Scaley said:

is outside the timeframe of the version modelled.  

It's not, it just wasn't a standard piece of equipment since it was relatively new.

• Like 1

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

Uh... clearly I'm missing something. All Apaches have a laser for ranging and desginating targets to Hellfire and other units, correct? 

Ok, so what's the purpose of adding another laser ( IZLID (IR ZOOM LASER ILLUMINATOR-DESIGNATOR) ) to the cannon?? I don't get it, help me out!!

Izlid is a must, my ODA used this with the APache's flying over head in Iraq in 2007.  Nothing better to have them match Ir to Ir to confirm what we want them to destroy.....  It was quickly figured out on the ground and down range this was the next best thing to aid radio comms with over head airframes.  Be a real shame if we cant get this on this Airframe in dcs.

Some seem confused about what the use is,  the use is immense when in a urban environment at night like Baghdad which i have experience with.  You can talk to the CPG and have the Gun immedietely put on our Ir laser pointing out some sh.. head on such and such roof top with rpg and a Rpk....  So Every Airframe we worked with had this Ability  Including the Apache.

Please ED reconsider this,  Allot of great work with the Apache's over head via the IR pointer space happened and it was a huge game changer for us on the ground.   Heck make it optional just like the ability of F16 carrying 4xHarms and NVG are optional in the Editor as well.... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

Ok, I can see the utility of using it to confirm and communicate... but...  why a second laser needed? Couldn't you use the TADS laser for this too?  Or is there some limitation that I'm not seeing?

Is it a different IR frequency?  Is the TADS laser not visible using NVG's or something?