VKB T-Rudder - Gradual Toe Braking options?

Hi,

I have the VKB T-Rudder rudder pedals. I love these for general flight. They give great control with my heels able to stay firmly on the floor, just using the balls or toes of my feet.

However I'm wanting to get into some aircraft where toe braking is going to be a little more necessary, and I'm having problems trying to find a solution that will give me the full control that I'm after.

IRL - I often use a 'touch' of toe braking on one wheel to assist in turns. From what I can tell - this is not possible to do with T-Rudder, even using VKB's virtual T-Link program. 

What I'm wanting to achieve differs in the following:

VKB's solution (T-Link)

When braking -  a button is assigned for braking. This is at 100% for both L & R. As you push one of the rudders in one direction - the amount of braking on the opposite side is reduced - but the side braking on is still at 100%. 

So - as an example. Press the button and both Left and Right are braking at 100%. If I then start turning left with my rudder pedals, the right brake starts to be reduced - and is reduced the more I push left, but left is always going to be at 100%. 

My Preferred Solution

I'm wanting to use an analog axis, as opposed to a button to designate the amount of braking, thus able to apply a limited amount of brake pressure to the wheel I want to turn with, and not 100%. 

As an example - if I use an axis to apply 20% braking pressure, and I have the rudder pressed 50% to the left, I would expect that only 20% of brakes be applied to the left wheel, and the right wheel can have 10% brake, etc.

If I was to apply 100% braking - then it would work the same as T-Link, but the less I brake with the axis - the less I want braking to occur on the primary wheel. 

It would appear as though VKB does not allow for this natively, or with their T-Link software. (I have already contacted support with them - with no workable solution), so was just wondering if anyone else has a solution available before I start investing a lot of time searching for alternative options myself?

By software difficult you will achieve that a momentary command - the joystick button, work as proportional axis.

VKB DevCFG software is very powerful - probable more than any other joy software, but never see a configuration for "button = proportional axis" show by their developer.

The way is used combined T-Rudder with an joystick with analog brake lever, e.g. VKB MCG, VirPil T50CM.

The only idea i came up with would be that you map a modifier button in dcs on your joystick/throttle and assign the rudder axis with the modifier button to the toe brakes. So if you press the pedals you would use your rudder and if you press the modifier button and the rudder together you would use the toe brakes, the only thing which won't work will be rudder and pedals at the same time. 

I am thinking about the t-rudder pedals myself and when they bring out their throttle i am going to purchase both of them. My plan to realise it would be with a modifier for the toe breaks like i described above and an extra button for both brakes.

• Thanks 1

Specs:WIN10, I7-4790K, ASUS RANGER VII, 16GB G.Skill DDR3, GEFORCE 1080, NVME SSD, SSD, VIRPIL T-50 THROTTLE, K-51 COLLECTIVE, MS FFB2 (CH COMBATSTICK MOD), MFG CROSSWINDS, JETPAD, RIFT S

Modules:A10C, AH-64D, AJS-37, AV8B, BF109K4, CA, F/A18C, F14, F5EII, F86F, FC3, FW190A8, FW190D9, KA50, L39, M2000C, MI8TV2, MI24P, MIG15BIS, MIG19P, MIG21BIS, MIRAGE F1, P51D, SA342, SPITFIRE, UH1H, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, CHANNEL, SYRIA

Thrustmaster TWCS Afterburner Detent
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=223776

My Frankenwinder ffb2 stick

If proportional "toe brakes" is mandatory for you, better forget T-Rudder.

Will be necessary:

- Assign T-Rudder yaw axis 0 to 50% to generate a new virtual axes, to be the toe brakes left.

- Assign T-Rudder yaw axis 51 to 100% to generate another new virtual axes, to be the toe brakes right.

BTW - This virtual axes part is easy, I do this with 0 to 50% but with VKB Gladiator twist axes, to be assigned to "Wheel brakes".

What combined with T-Rudder yaw axes give me the "proportional differential brakes" (like RL Spitfire, Mig-15, 21...) for any DCS plane - well, that have the command "wheel brakes".

This do the same proportional braking of right or left wheel that "toe brakes' allow, just in a different way, with "twist brake".

But back to the "toe brakes", then will be need assign a button(key) with this new axes for have independent brake operation from yaw (rudder) axis, so will be need two modifier buttons.

Another "imbroglio", how brake both wheels at same time? 😉

Edited by Sokol1_br

On 1/21/2022 at 2:23 PM, Sokol1_br said:

By software difficult you will achieve that a momentary command - the joystick button, work as proportional axis.

VKB DevCFG software is very powerful - probable more than any other joy software, but never see a configuration for "button = proportional axis" show by their developer.

The way is used combined T-Rudder with an joystick with analog brake lever, e.g. VKB MCG, VirPil T50CM.

Hi,

I think you misunderstand me. I'm not trying to assign to a button. I'm wanting to assign it to an axis as you mention above. The problem is that I fail to be able to get it to behave with the axis - the t-link software only works with a momentary button (at least for what I can tell).

Are you saying that the t-link software should be able to support what I'm chasing?

9 hours ago, erniedaoage said:

The only idea i came up with would be that you map a modifier button in dcs on your joystick/throttle and assign the rudder axis with the modifier button to the toe brakes. So if you press the pedals you would use your rudder and if you press the modifier button and the rudder together you would use the toe brakes, the only thing which won't work will be rudder and pedals at the same time. 

I am thinking about the t-rudder pedals myself and when they bring out their throttle i am going to purchase both of them. My plan to realise it would be with a modifier for the toe breaks like i described above and an extra button for both brakes.

Thanks heaps for that suggestion. If I fail to find the solution I'm chasing that may very well work as a decent backup solution. Thank you!

4 hours ago, Sokol1_br said:

If proportional "toe brakes" is mandatory for you, better forget T-Rudder.

Will be necessary:

- Assign T-Rudder yaw axis 0 to 50% to generate a new virtual axes, to be the toe brakes left.

- Assign T-Rudder yaw axis 51 to 100% to generate another new virtual axes, to be the toe brakes right.

But back to the "toe brakes", then will be need assign a button(key) with this new axes for have independent brake operation from yaw (rudder) axis, so will be need two modifier buttons.

Another "imbroglio", how brake both wheels at same time? 😉

Thanks Sokol.

You're right with what's necessary, however it seems so simple on paper I thought that may already be possible. I've only worked with t-link so far. I may have to see if there are other options around (I've heard of joystick gremlin - I may have to check that out) before I admit defeat.

Having already got an analog axis for breaking - it seems like it wouldn't be difficult at all do do a formula to calculate the required breaking on each toe brake as a combination of braking axis, and left/right rudder axis.

The formula could be as simple as:

-- x = Braking Axis Value (Analog)
-- y = Yaw Axis
If y > 50 then  -- braking right...
   Left Brake = x - x * ( ( y - 50) * 2)
   Right Brake = x
else  -- braking right...
   Right Brake = x - x * ( abs( y - 50) * 2)
   Left Brake = x
end

... but then again - I thought if ever there was a community that would know of a solution to this, it would be this one - so seeing the lack in solutions at this stage - so maybe you're right - and I'm out of luck. Thanks for replying.

50 minutes ago, Dangerzone said:

Are you saying that the t-link software should be able to support what I'm chasing?

No, T-Link will not do what you want, he just press the R or L axis for toe brakes - depending on rudder axis position;  all the way down trough the pressing of a button, with the bonus  that if rudder is in middle, press both equally for stop the plane. But is always 0 or 100%. I think you can adjust the speed for reach 100% using VKB DevCFG software... but continue a "on-off" braking.

You should try using VKB DevCfg, first for create the new axes for toe brake L and toe brake R,  and for create the conditions for use like you need, perhaps with the new Boolean functions... no idea how this work.

Before T-Link exist I use a config in DevCFG - made by someone in Il-2 Russian forum;  that activate the toe brake R and  L axes based on rudder position, in a proportional way (if rudder are 60% for left, toe brake left will be pressed the same proportion), but this was simultaneous with rudder input... what result disastrous. 

• Thanks 1