Ingame display brightness issue

marksman1942

hornetbug.pngCurrently encountering an issue where i CAN adjust the brightness/contrast/symbology settings on my exported screens

HOWEVER this is not adjusted the brightness of the ingame displays leading to very bright displays at night time (The DAY/NIGHT Switches are not working either)

• Like 3

The default setting for the F/A 18 DDI brightness and contrast knobs always appears to start at full scale;  fully to the right for both DDIs;   Is there any way that the starting position for both DDIs could in the middle/center of the adjustment range.

• 1 month later...

I was just searching for info about this since I have the exact same problem. This is affecting all aircraft for me and makes it almost unplayable when doing night sorties. It seems like the in-game displays and exported viewports are out of sync when it comes to brightness. If I reduce it in the game my exported viewports goes black when the in-game displays reaches an acceptable brightness, making it practically impossible to use separate displays with exported viewports during night sorties. I maxed out the brightness on my touchscreens to match the in-game displays but it hasn't helped.

Yes, I can see the same thing in the A10-C 2, more clearly now that the FLIR has been revamped.

In FLIR mode, the displays in the cockpit are readable (i.e. I can make out targets at a decent range), while in my exports they are dimmed and bland ; I tried changing my contrast and light settings (in the displays that display the exports), but even at max it's dimmed.

Here are some screenshots showing that this is a DCS export problem, not a display setting ; I centered my in-cockpit view to the TAD, then to the TGP in FLIR mode - you can see the exports at the right of the shot.

@BIGNEWY any chance this could be handled, please ? It's been like that for ages, and now with the new FLIR it's making our hog driver's life sad 😉

Screen_220326_101310.jpg

Screen_220326_101232.jpg

• Like 1

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

• ED Team

the export problem has been reported for a while, I dont have any news to share currently however sorry. 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Is there any way to get this looked at? It's been in "reported earlier" state for a year or more, and affects the Hornet (badly), the Viper (a bit, from my understanding just one screen) and now the Apache as well.  None of the 3rd party aircraft do this, only EDs "flagship" modules.  

And also the A-10

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/2/2022 at 5:08 PM, Scaley said:

Is there any way to get this looked at? It's been in "reported earlier" state for a year or more, and affects the Hornet (badly), the Viper (a bit, from my understanding just one screen) and now the Apache as well.  None of the 3rd party aircraft do this, only EDs "flagship" modules.  

The Tomcat does it too. At night you either can see in the cockpit and the Screens are too dark to read on the export, or you take the red filter off and can see the exports fine, but in the cockpit it's like looking into a green and angry sun.

• 4 months later...

Still nothing ? Come on guys, this is an old bug !
@BIGNEWY please.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Was just about to post this same thing, I don’t usually fly night missions, but was in one that ended after sunset and wow, are the on-screen mfd’s annoyingly bright! Was flying a-10c2, mfd’s in night mode, symbology and brightness etc dimmed to where my exported mfd’s were just useable, and the on-screen mfd are quite literally almost blinding. 

• Like 3

Intel i7 13700k, ASUS  rog strix z790A, 64gigs G.Skill Trident DDR5 @6400Mhz, Nvidia  RTX 4080FE, 2x 2TB Samsung M.2 NVME, 2x 1TB Samsung SSD,  Corsair RM1000x, Corsair h100i 240mm cooler, Lian Li LanCool 3, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate, VKB STECS , MFG Crosswinds, Track IR5, 48” LG UltraGear OLED & HP 24” touchscreen for Helios, Streamdeck XL, DCS-UFC App, Corsair Virtuoso RGB Headphones

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We should start a catalog of old issues that are still causing problems...

• Like 1

Well,  I tried to setup something.

Tell me if it's cool or not to do this kind of list, @BIGNEWY

I think it can be helpful.

• ED Team
2 hours ago, davidp57 said:

Well,  I tried to setup something.

Tell me if it's cool or not to do this kind of list, @BIGNEWY

I think it can be helpful.

you are free to make your own lists, it wont help us however, we already have our bugs listed internally. 

Regarding the MFD export issue, its not a simple problem to solve unfortunately. 

Essentially what is happening is MFD's are rendered in the dynamic range, exports are part of the UI which is not. Until the team have time to create a solution we will need to be patient. 

thank you 

• Thanks 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

6 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Essentially what is happening is MFD's are rendered in the dynamic range, exports are part of the UI which is not. Until the team have time to create a solution we will need to be patient.

Thank you for that explanation. While it ( the display brightness differential) can be annoying, I wouldn’t call it game breaking. We are very fortunate to have the export ability at all, and ED allowing 3rd party software, such as Helios to further add to that. I hope someday it will be looked at, until then, carry on! Looking forward to a great 2023. Thank you for all you guys do for us!

• Like 2

Intel i7 13700k, ASUS  rog strix z790A, 64gigs G.Skill Trident DDR5 @6400Mhz, Nvidia  RTX 4080FE, 2x 2TB Samsung M.2 NVME, 2x 1TB Samsung SSD,  Corsair RM1000x, Corsair h100i 240mm cooler, Lian Li LanCool 3, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate, VKB STECS , MFG Crosswinds, Track IR5, 48” LG UltraGear OLED & HP 24” touchscreen for Helios, Streamdeck XL, DCS-UFC App, Corsair Virtuoso RGB Headphones

Ditto, my thoughts exactly.

I'm happy that you shared information up to this level of detail, @BIGNEWY, and I think it may be a good thing to try and explain a bit more objectively what's blocking the team (or making bug-solving difficult) for each issue where it's possible; it'd make the community understand and help us be patient!

Happy 2023, and thank you all for bringing our dreams to life!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there !

@BIGNEWY

First of all, happy new year and thank you for your work and developpments.

With the successful release of the Winwing panels and the Total Controls Apache panels this issue is growing up rapidely in importance.

I find a little harsh your answer that ED has its own bug list and making our own wouldn't be helpful.

It sounds like the community, your clients, have next to nothing to say in the evolution of your product.

Of course, there is the other side under the hood that we cannot see that is dictating its own agenda.

But maybe you can look at this issue from a customer perspective, as an exemple :

I just spent 660€ for a complete 3 screens + MFD setup and now the night flying is almost impossible.

You may know that in simulators, software and hardware are directly related expenses (and quite hard ones)

I invested in hardware to make your software experience even more awesome.

But right now, it almost went a step backward.

So your answer, shortened to ''we do what we want and we are not doing this'' is very good point to not invest in your software any more.

As you said it is a problem that has been brought up several years ago now ; while it may have been seen as marginal at first, its importance has ramped up with new hardware options coming to the market just recently.

Hornet, Thunder, Viper, Apache, Mudhen, Kaiowa Warrior, Chinook, Hercules, Typhoon ... all these aircrafts demand the extensive use of MFDs.

That is becoming more and more as important as HOTAS and you would not cast away any major problems with people not able to use a stick or a throttle, would you ?

So ... understood. It is a deep search and a hard work to fix that issue.

Of course, I don't expect it to become your top priority task but that is defenitely something that you can seriously discuss at your next brainstorming, don't you think ?

Thank you for the answer though.

I hope you'll find an easier way to fix this and that you'll have ressources to allocate to that matter.

Best regards,

Simba

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 3/26/2022 at 10:21 AM, BIGNEWY said:

the export problem has been reported for a while, I dont have any news to share currently however sorry. 

Whats the status now after one year passed?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect it’s on a list of things to do when big thing gets done. Big thing probably being Vulkan. A case of not wanting to have to go in and change the work twice since big thing will mean redoing everything. But like many projects, Big thing is always juuuust on the horizon. Close enough to see it coming, but far away and one of a number of Big Projects like Multi Threading. 

in AvE terms, it’s in the shop and on the healing bench, but not close enough to guess when it will get started.