New pilot. Loss of tail rotor effectiveness in IGE hover below 20 meter.

DmitriKozlowsky

3 hours ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

The TRK playback on my own system, where I had recorded it, is completely wrong. It shows me taxing helicopter into parked C-130. Which I did not do! I taxied onto runway and took off. Darn it! DCS. What is up with that. THat means TRK playback cannot be trusted to make accurate playback videos for YT videos. Oh well. Screw it! I guess I am my own.

I get generator fail, in stable forward flight.

Did you try to fly on any other mission except training missions? 

15 hours ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

The TRK playback on my own system, where I had recorded it, is completely wrong. It shows me taxing helicopter into parked C-130. Which I did not do! I taxied onto runway and took off. Darn it! DCS. What is up with that. THat means TRK playback cannot be trusted to make accurate playback videos for YT videos. Oh well. Screw it! I guess I am my own.

I get generator fail, in stable forward flight.

If you make a live recording, it will work a lot better for these purposes.

For trk files also it helps to make them as short as possible, for example you said it happens with hot start/auto start also. Start a mission with a spawned Hind then immediately take off and try to trigger the issues as quickly as you can, that will eliminate as many errors as you can, but taking videos of you flying while it’s happening is probably your best best 

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

1 hour ago, AeriaGloria said:

If you make a live recording, it will work a lot better for these purposes.

For trk files also it helps to make them as short as possible, for example you said it happens with hot start/auto start also. Start a mission with a spawned Hind then immediately take off and try to trigger the issues as quickly as you can, that will eliminate as many errors as you can, but taking videos of you flying while it’s happening is probably your best best 

How do you do that? I don't have those streamer boards that hardcore YT gamers do. I don't use Steam. Only way I know how, and I have not done it, is to save TRK, load it into Playback and record from there. But since TRK files don't playback, anywhere near what the actual mission was, its useless. I admit I have do not know much about TRK, but I  don't understand how it can just make up its own rendition of events, completely divorced from user's actions. Like that episode in Star Trek TOS, where Kirk is framed for murder, with artificially created log.

I suppose TRK file is just a LUA script.

1 hour ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

How do you do that? I don't have those streamer boards that hardcore YT gamers do. I don't use Steam. Only way I know how, and I have not done it, is to save TRK, load it into Playback and record from there. But since TRK files don't playback, anywhere near what the actual mission was, its useless. I admit I have do not know much about TRK, but I  don't understand how it can just make up its own rendition of events, completely divorced from user's actions. Like that episode in Star Trek TOS, where Kirk is framed for murder, with artificially created log.

I suppose TRK file is just a LUA script.

I don’t know if it works for you but there is a windows option if you press windows + G or some other set keybind it brings up a menu that allows recording. There’s also Gefore settings/menu for it if you have a Nvidia card and bring up the GeForce menu. Idk if AMD cards have them but if they do I don’t know how to make it work. It will usually have a performance impact 

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

1 hour ago, AeriaGloria said:

I don’t know if it works for you but there is a windows option if you press windows + G or some other set keybind it brings up a menu that allows recording. There’s also Gefore settings/menu for it if you have a Nvidia card and bring up the GeForce menu. Idk if AMD cards have them but if they do I don’t know how to make it work. It will usually have a performance impact 

Yeah, for NVIDIA, you need GeForce Experience installed. 

OBS is a free app too, just a little messier to setup. 

Recording via the Windows DVR is pretty foolproof. Just start the game, press Win+G, and the record button on the OSD when it appears. Demonstrate your startup procedure, and then click the stop button on the OSD to finish recording. The video is saved in C:\Users\[username]\Videos\Captures, and can be uploaded directly to the tube.

• Like 1

I suspect that I am damaging my turbines if I fly low or use in close weapons (30 and rockets) at low altitude , without using DUST PROTECTION. Which is causing Generator Fail in flight. Is having dust and FOD protection rob engines of power? Can't we just leave it ON for whole duration. Tutorial states to turn Dust Protection ON before throttling up to operating power, then OFF after take/off. I figure ON for landing. I like to fly low. Below 30 meters, between tree lines. Other DCS rotary sims I have , UH-1H, Gazelle, and KA-50 don't seem to care about low level flight without sand and dust. Perhaps MI-24P does.

Beyond that, I have no clue. No one else does either, so I don't know. 

I suspect that I am damaging my turbines if I fly low or use in close weapons (30 and rockets) at low altitude , without using DUST PROTECTION. Which is causing Generator Fail in flight. Is having dust and FOD protection rob engines of power? Can't we just leave it ON for whole duration. Tutorial states to turn Dust Protection ON before throttling up to operating power, then OFF after take/off. I figure ON for landing. I like to fly low. Below 30 meters, between tree lines. Other DCS rotary sims I have , UH-1H, Gazelle, and KA-50 don't seem to care about low level flight without sand and dust. Perhaps MI-24P does.

Edited by DmitriKozlowsky

48 minutes ago, Wrcknbckr said:

Unless you are hovering I see no need to have dust protection at low level flight; you are flying away from possible dust build-up.

And most generator fails recover if you ask less power, in my experience.

I can live that. Its just that loosing generators (AC power) causes AP channels to kick off, and nose starts bucking. When it happens during weapon use, guns and rockets, I have to accept less accuracy, or take time to re-press AP channels, and/or reset AC generators.

2 hours ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

You are not damaging your turbines by flying low, firing weapons, hovering etc without dust protection on. Hovering IGE and OGE with a heavily overloaded Mi-24 (115% of MTOW) is not a problem. If your generators are cutting, it is most likely because you still haven't understood how to use the throttle correctly. Record a video of your startup procedure following the instructions given earlier.

On 1/25/2022 at 4:21 PM, drPhibes said:

Recording via the Windows DVR is pretty foolproof. Just start the game, press Win+G, and the record button on the OSD when it appears. Demonstrate your startup procedure, and then click the stop button on the OSD to finish recording. The video is saved in C:\Users\[username]\Videos\Captures, and can be uploaded directly to the tube.

Thanks. That was actually pretty easy, except I can't record sound. But that's an issue I have with GFE as well. 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

14 hours ago, drPhibes said:

You are not damaging your turbines by flying low, firing weapons, hovering etc without dust protection on. Hovering IGE and OGE with a heavily overloaded Mi-24 (115% of MTOW) is not a problem. If your generators are cutting, it is most likely because you still haven't understood how to use the throttle correctly. Record a video of your startup procedure following the instructions given earlier.

'Not understanding how to use throttles'. What exactly does that mean? Throttles are set to max , prior to take off , during start up. They are not changed in flight , and engine governors do the work. Throttle, by which I mean twist grip,is set to idle, and ECL levers are set to middle or down position,  after landing and taxing to parking, and during hot refueling. For flight twist grip Throttles is set to max power , and ECL levers are set to UP max . Dust protection is ON while aircraft is on ground , and OFF after take off and above 30 meters.

So where am I misusing Throttles? 

I would be in level flight,  or turning with some pedal deflection, and would get Generator Fail audio .Then AP channels would kick off , and weapons systems would loose power. No one has a reasonable explanation of why this is happening. 

5 minutes ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

'Not understanding how to use throttles'. What exactly does that mean? Throttles are set to max , prior to take off , during start up. They are not changed in flight , and engine governors do the work. Throttle, by which I mean twist grip,is set to idle, and ECL levers are set to middle or down position,  after landing and taxing to parking, and during hot refueling. For flight twist grip Throttles is set to max power , and ECL levers are set to UP max . Dust protection is ON while aircraft is on ground , and OFF after take off and above 30 meters.

I would be in level flight,  or turning with some pedal deflection, and would get Generator Fail audio .Then AP channels would kick off , and weapons systems would loose power. No one has a reasonable explanation of why this is happening. 

Why the ECL don’t need to be higher then middle/auto, you are right that twist grip is all the way right for flight. Dust protection isn’t needed unless your in ground effect/under 35m and under effective translational lift speed. The dust protectors take out about 5.5% power, which makes your generators lose power faster. 

You can cause a generator failure by using too much collective, the collective is not supposed to stay at max the whole flight like the throttle in a plane.

you should be able to search windows for a screen recording feature, you usually just need to assign a keybind to it, or use nvidia geforce. I would also recommend watching videos of other people doing start up and flying to see any differences, watch the collective pitch gauge and see what they’re doing with the collective 

• Like 1

No one has a reasonable explanation of why this is happening. 

No one has been provided with a video of what you are doing and your trks are broken. The "reasonable" explanation at this point is that you are being too heavy on the collective or your collective's axis is glitching/incorrectly set up. After an initial period (ususally the duration of the start up and taxi mission) most, if not all of us fly the Hind without gemnerator failure.  IWithout a working trk file or a video showing the full start up procedure and the controls at the time of failure  Im not sure any further help can be given. 

• Like 2

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

2 hours ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

As multiple people have mentioned already: if you are using the ECLs at all, you're doing something wrong. Go through the startup procedure step by step, and make sure you actually understand what the different steps mean. The fact that you confused the engine stop (fuel cutoff) levers in the checklist with the ECLs indicates that you haven't taken the time to actually learn what the different cockpit controls do.

Edited by drPhibes
typo
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, drPhibes said:

Any updates on this problem? PEBCAK?

I suspect PEBCAK and an inabilty to accept such is at the heart of this 3 page pile of nothing. 

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.