USS Kitty Hawk (CV-63) towed to shipbreaking yard

Rudel_chw

A kind of sad video:

Edit: Just read here https://www.kitsapsun.com/story/news/2022/01/15/old-carrier-uss-kitty-hawk-departs-bremerton-texas-dismantling/6534565001/

that the ship will navigate around South America .. wonder if I will be able to see her pass near where I live (Chile).

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• 2 weeks later...

Sad indeed, my old ship.  

We hit Valparaiso back in 1991 when we came out of SLEP in Philly and departed Norfolk to transit to San Diego.  Best cruise I ever had with stops in St. Thomas, Mar Del Plata and Valparaiso.  Transiting the Straits of Magellan was pretty rough with some waves breaking over the bow and everything that could fit in the hangar bay was put there, those remaining on deck all got double TD1 chains.  Can't imagine doing that passage under tug power.

You can track its location.  Its being towed by the tug Michelle Foss.  Currently off Baja California

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:3373363/zoom:9

I might go see her pull into Brownsville to say goodbye 😞

Edited by jskibo

1 hour ago, jskibo said:

You can track its location.  Its being towed by the tug Michelle Foss.  Currently off Baja California

Thanks a lot .. really useful ... seems it will take a long time to reach Antofagasta 😂 and I'm going on vacation on Feb 21 (towards Chiloe) until April 1st ... hopefully I might get lucky and see it at some point.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

4 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

Thanks a lot .. really useful ... seems it will take a long time to reach Antofagasta 😂 and I'm going on vacation on Feb 21 (towards Chiloe) until April 1st ... hopefully I might get lucky and see it at some point.

I imagine it will be awhile.  Next port is Panama for fuel and crew swap they said.  Seem to only stay a couple days in anchor at ports.  Quite a few vets rented boats and planes to get pictures when it was at Long Beach (last stop).  Been showing a 6kt speed under tow most days.  After Panama the tracker will show its next expected port.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, jskibo said:

I imagine it will be awhile.  Next port is Panama for fuel and crew swap they said.  Seem to only stay a couple days in anchor at ports.  Quite a few vets rented boats and planes to get pictures when it was at Long Beach (last stop).  Been showing a 6kt speed under tow most days.  After Panama the tracker will show its next expected port.

If I get to photograph it when near the cost or at port, I will share the pics here ... fingers crossed 😇

• Like 1