Plane Completion?

BuzzU

Not sure where to put this question but this seemed as good as any.

My question is about plane completion. Just curious what opinions are on this subject. ED could answer it best but i'm not sure we'll get that. So, everybody is free to give an opinion. I'm only interested in 4 planes at the moment. What percentage of completion do you think these planes are in right now?

A-10C

A-10C II

F-16C

F/A-18C

All opinions are welcome.

Buzz

A10c would likely fit that bill, but keep in mind its had much more time to mature

I would suggest you consider what you'd like to do, or what experience you'd like to have, and fly that. As someone who owns all 4 of those i can say an incomplete plane can still be very enjoyable, as long as it includes the systems that fit the mission profile you'd like to do

If dog fighting is what floats your boat, it doesn't matter how complete the hawg is- you're not gonna be very effective , for example 

Edited by ngreenaway

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

I'm not looking for which plane to fly. I'm just curious about what stage they're at now. I've been gone flying BMS and lost track of what improved in DCS.

You can peak at my join date and see i've been at this awhile. I'm way beyond asking what plane to fly. 😉

Edited by BuzzU

Buzz

I don't typically bother digging into someone's profile when replying , fwiw tge post was similar enough to the typical  "which plane should I buy next" message that it was easy to accidentally infer you were looking for advice on a module 

• Like 1

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

2 hours ago, BuzzU said:

I'm not looking for which plane to fly. I'm just curious about what stage they're at now. I've been gone flying BMS and lost track of what improved in DCS.

You can peak at my join date and see i've been at this awhile. I'm way beyond asking what plane to fly. 😉

Check the F-18 and F-16 features/system topics and then you'll be able to make your own picture about how far they are.

My $.02,

A10C - Development done 100%. Just update and bug fixes as DCS versions increase.

A10C2 - 90%. Waiting on new radio implementation AFAIK.

F16 - 80-85% feature complete.  This one has seen the most love from ED in the past 8-10 months.

F-18 - probably 90%, maybe more.  I really thought they would finish this one in 2021 but stuff happens.  Even so it's pretty much there.

I don't get into the development weeds of each module like others do so this is just from a casual High Level perspective.

Regards.

• Like 2

The Hornet is missing a handful of MFD pages and a feature or two, but is mostly complete. The Viper is still missing quite bit, several DED pages and some MFD pages, as well as functionality on the ones it does have. It didn't quite catch up, but it's getting there. Both need FM tuning, which is ongoing. 

A-10C2 seems to be on the backburner somewhat. The first A-10C is very much complete, although, being an early module, some things are missing, some are outright wrong, which they fixed in the C2.

7 hours ago, Baron_GB said:

F-18 - probably 90%, maybe more.  I really thought they would finish this one in 2021 but stuff happens.  Even so it's pretty much there.

I don't get into the development weeds of each module like others do so this is just from a casual High Level perspective.

I appreciate that you're looking this from a casual perspective, but even like that, the Hornet is not 90% complete. I'd say somewhere around 60% when compared to what would be possible with public data and somewhere around 75% when compared with the top high fidelity modules in DCS (think A-10C level, with all the little details in the MFD pages, the ability to set up a network, send and receive messages etc).

Sure, you can do most things in some way and the module is great fun as it is, but it's missing a lot of stuff. Namely, MSI, which is the core of a mid-2000s Hornet, is not implemented and neither is TAMMAC. Other systems are half-way there, but they are missing a lot of functionality and features left and right.

Still a great module and one I fly regularly, but far from complete.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Thanks guys.

I've decided to concentrate on the A-10C II. It's the most complete and the slower pace suits my old brain. Once we get the radio i'll be happy. Although Snoopy says we still need content. He said this:

"version 2 of the A-10C is missing even more TAD functionality, HUD symbology, TGP symbology, the HMCS is missing lots of symbology as well. "

I just bought another new Warthog and it's nice when the controller matches the plane i'm flying so well.

Buzz

Good news is the WH stick is the same as the F-16's, and has bindings set up by default, and the WH throttle comes pre-bound with a very respectable approximation of the 16's throttle functions.

Winwing also just released their F-16 throttle (though I suspect it will be out of stock for a while) if you're a stickler for 1:1 control setups.

1 hour ago, BuzzU said:

Yeah, I wore out my old Cougar and was glad to see TM stayed with a Viper stick. Even though they did use the Hog to do it. I wish TM would make a Viper throttle but I know that's a dream.

Do you still have the old Cougar? 

You are probably aware, but you can upgrade the throttle to be USB and standalone, and there are mods coming to make the stick force sensing, if you don't want to shell out for the Realsimulator base. 

On 1/20/2022 at 10:30 AM, ngreenaway said:

I don't typically bother digging into someone's profile when replying , 

It just takes a second. Hold your mouse pointer on their name and join date comes up. It's helpful to know who you're talking to. No need to go look at their profile.

Buzz

Just for the record and to show I wasn't looking for advice on which plane to buy. Here's the dates I bought them and have flown all of them a lot.

A-10C........3/15/2017

A-10C II......9/30/2020

F/A-18C.....9/12/2018

F-16C........4/3/2020

Edited by BuzzU

Buzz

On 1/23/2022 at 4:17 AM, BuzzU said:

It just takes a second. Hold your mouse pointer on their name and join date comes up. It's helpful to know who you're talking to. No need to go look at their profile.

Its not that I didn't know how, or that I felt it was difficult . Its that Im not interested .

Hope you find the answer you're looking for, but I don't know that there is a definitive metric on completion, as everyone will likely weight the inclusion or omission of varios systems differently 

• Like 1

System:

1 hour ago, ngreenaway said:

Its not that I didn't know how, or that I felt it was difficult . Its that Im not interested .

Hope you find the answer you're looking for, but I don't know that there is a definitive metric on completion, as everyone will likely weight the inclusion or omission of varios systems differently 

You mentioned digging in someone's profile. I was just pointing out you don't need to click into a profile. Just hold the pointer on the name without clicking and join date comes up.

It helps sometimes to know how to answer a question.

Just saying.

Buzz

For what it's worth, you should compare the completion of a module to what ED said they would simulate / committed to implement. If you go and measure completion of systems that a DCS module has / will have to real life you will never get 100%.