Project «MAUG 1940» ─ peacetime additions to the Marianas

J-1775

The release of the Marianas was a huge scenery booster to DCS. Especially for those with a love for low-level sightseeing ─ pardon: 'recon missions' ─ in slow prop planes and rotaries. Maug Islands has soon become my favourite spot, criss-crossing its caldera almost every morning...
After a while I began to daydream and having visions. I saw shipwrecks on the caldera's bottom, with great whites patroling. And sometimes I even believed to see a glimpse of Amelia Earhart's Electra 10.

With no knowledge or experience with neither ME nor Blender and its EDM Exporter it was a LONG journey until I had a good number of (unanimated) objects 'DCS-ready'. BTW, as the year in the title suggests, they're all peacetime objects! (The video, though, does include carriers and planes by Hawkeye60.)

I don't know how long the next step, dealing with object animations, will (or would) take. But after months of work I felt for a break. And then <hint, hint> I think of the project as an 'open project' anyway. So everyone is invited to enhance and expand it!

My personal whish-/todo-list includes

• animated sails and flags for the sailships
  • animated Birdman (the original 3D model is actually fully rigged and playing in Blender)
  • animated great white (same here)    
  • group of animated whales for 'whale watching'

Thanks to tobi, grajo, copprhead. Without their help and work this project wouldn't exist.

This free addon is not quite ready to be released, its scope will be much subject to availability/affordability of necessary licences. But here's a teaser video.
Please comment and help to keep the project thriving.

EDIT:
2022-02-03: I just put one of the sailships in the user files. 30+ variants of hoisted and furled sails, transparent or battle torn, bring some color to any of your sceneries and missions. Not alone the Marianas, but also to Normandy, The Channel, Syria...
30+ variants of hoisted or furled sails, ripped up and transparent

Version history of «BRIG»:
v1.0 Initial release
v1.1 Added moderate wake, front and aft. What seems appropriate for a sailship with no screws and an average speed of around 10 knots.
brig with wake.jpg
v1.2 Improved NORMALS and SPECS for sail canvas. Streamlined usage of all NORMALS and SPECS, now only very upclose (LOD0, 300m, some LOD1). Some changes to the Static Templates. A second sample 'mission' file giving a quick overview of all 32 variants in box formation is now included (like screenshot above).
Extract and overwrite all existing files.

Edited by J-1775
  • Like 10

If peacetime objects for scenery is the general idea I think modern, real life civilian vehicles would be cool. Simple, static and non-controllable by AI or player. Real life and not generic looking made up vehicles of the timeframe late 1970s to present day would do wonders for the scenery that DCS is originally meant to portray. 

Your project looks amazing as is though, just my two cents.

Edited by Scotty Rotten
  • Like 2

I think this would be really appreciated on flightsim dot to.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Thanks for the tip. But he flightsim-to site is dedicated to FS2020. I actually did a Blériot XI livery for FS2020, but I'am quite reluctant to indulge into their scenery design. But you're right, FS2020 simmers would probably be more of the 'peacenik' types to enjoy leasure flying. Though, the latest FS2020 update brought the F/A-18. They're kind of amalgamating...🤭

Haha, good point! When I worked on the next sailship models (soon to come!) I noticed that I had indeed forgotten the wake. Version 1.1 with added wake was ready, when I started to work on the 'experimental' transparency and I postponed it. My wake is somewhat more discrete, the trail is definitely shorter. I think it's quite appropriate for a sailship with no screw(s). But wait... And you can always keep yours!