Best DCS helicopter to train for the Apache

Razgriz27

Hey guys, the Apache will be my first helicopter in DCS. Actually, it will be the first helicopter that I'll fly in a flight sim in general (I usually only fly planes). So naturally I'll have to learn everything from the beginning, not only the systems but basic helicopter controls and handling.

With that in mind I was thinking of using one of the DCS choppers available in the 2 week free trial to start learning basic helicopter flying (until the Apache releases of course). However which DCS helicopter would be most suitable to learn for a later transition to the apache? I ask this because I suspect that every helicopter have different characteristics depending on its weight, power, rotor direction etc.

Thanks for your help.

I'd choose the UH1-  Its American and has the same rotor direction.  If you choose Hind or Hip then you've gotta retrain your mind to anti-torque in the opposite direction.  I think each platform offers individual benefits and its not difficult to adapt yourself on anti-torque direction but I feel the Huey has a good and natural feel with no augmentation whereas the Hind and Hip have SAS augmentation that drastically affect the way they handle.  To train on weapons employment Id train on the A10C-2.  Its gonna be the closest weapon system.

• Like 3

I’m with @MAXsenna I think the uh-1, no assists and you can learn most of the helicopter aerodynamics and control inputs.  The uh60 mod is a good cheap alternative, it does have some weird things but if you can fly that you can do anything. 

after you understand the basics the Apache should be easier than the Huey to control. 

I think in general people coming from fix wing too rotary they run into issues with going too fast especially for approaches, so just try to keep things slow and controlled, good luck 

Edited by kgillers3
  • Like 3

I'd actually recommend the KA-50. The powerful main gun and the guided missiles remind me of a Russian version of the Apache. I don't know about the flight model, but you will mostly be concerned with learning to use the gun, missiles and rockets. Learning how to juggle these things in combat can be helpful.

I also recommend the Huey. Like mentioned above, the rotor spins the same direction as the Apache so recovery from Vortex Ring State will be similar as far as which way you should move the controls. It also has no stability augmentation which forces you to learn to fly, rotor dynamics, and how all the controls interact without a computer helping you. Once you're able to learn the basics and become proficient (hover, translational lift, forward flight, turning, take off, and landing), you'll have a solid foundation for handling helos.

Edited by Diesel_Thunder

PC: MSI X670E, Ryzen 9 7900X, 64GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3090 Ti, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Opentrack

Link to my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DieselThunderAviation

Commander, 62nd Virtual Fighter Squadron

Join the 62nd VFS today! Link to our discord server: https://discord.gg/Z25BSKk84s

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg

Thank you for all suggestions. Right now I'm only focused on learning the basic handling of a helicopter. By the time I figure that out the apache will already be available. So I'll be able to learn its systems directly. Besides I already fly modern jets like the f/a-18 and A-10C so that ought a help a little in cockpit management.  

Probably the least popular answer but one I kind of stick to for new modules is to actually wait for the AH-64 to drop. Listening to Casmo from the Low Level Hell podcast and community it sounds like the Apache is nothing like what we currently have in our hanger. To be honest, any of the helis will help teach you the basics of flight (although I do agree with most that the Gazelle should be avoided as a first time helicopter). If nothing else, grab them all using the 2 week trial periods and go from there.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

On 1/21/2022 at 6:31 AM, Skidjit said:

Probably the least popular answer but one I kind of stick to for new modules is to actually wait for the AH-64 to drop. Listening to Casmo from the Low Level Hell podcast and community it sounds like the Apache is nothing like what we currently have in our hanger. To be honest, any of the helis will help teach you the basics of flight (although I do agree with most that the Gazelle should be avoided as a first time helicopter). If nothing else, grab them all using the 2 week trial periods and go from there.

Yeah, it’s not, but even the army doesn’t just throw you in. They used to use the th67 then advanced platform. Now they use the Lakota then advanced platform. It’s why I think the Huey is a good trainer, learn how to fly, then you get all of the assists and you can start learning systems. Which is what it sounds like they’re doing. 

Edited by kgillers3
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, kgillers3 said:

Yeah, it’s not, but even the army doesn’t just throw you in. They used to use the th67 then advanced platform. Now they use the Lakota and turn off all the sas then advanced platform. It’s why I think the Huey is a good trainer, learn how to fly, then you get all of the assists and you can start learning systems. Which is what it sounds like they’re doing. 

To be clear, I'm not saying you can't just buy the apache and fly it around, by all means, there's nothing wrong with that. Just saying if you were gonna use an aircraft prior to help the uh-1 I think is a really good one, just because of how basic it is.

15 minutes ago, Raptor9 said:

To be honest, the Gazelle is the only DCS module I wish I could get a refund for. It's definitely not going to teach any good habits.

Yeah.... me to. Every time I mess around with it I get sad. Just a prolonged cycle of hurt. 

Maybe not completely in line here with the 60 mod (sorry Skidjit). But it is pretty much in an alpha state right now and the FM is still weird on several points. I would stick with the Huey because, as MstrCmdr pointed out, the rotor turns in the same direction than the 64 and its FM is very mature. Yes, the Huey is very basic, but to learn the basics of helicopter flight principles, this is a very good machine. Apache pilots IRL start to learn on a B206 after all. 

Chances are, if you are a very good DCS plane pilot, you will most likely suck at flying helicopter by the way. Practice again and again. It's all muscle memory for RW.

vor 24 Minuten schrieb BaD CrC:

Maybe not completely in line here with the 60 mod (sorry Skidjit). But it is pretty much in an alpha state right now and the FM is still weird on several points. I would stick with the Huey because, as MstrCmdr pointed out, the rotor turns in the same direction than the 64 and its FM is very mature. Yes, the Huey is very basic, but to learn the basics of helicopter flight principles, this is a very good machine.

Fully agree. We tested the UH-60 mod yesterday and while it is really awesome for a free mod, the flightmodel still has some issues that might frustrate beginners who can't differ if it was their fault when they crashed or just the flightmodel acting weird. The Huey on the other hand has a fully developed FM and is much more forgiving than the Hind or the Mi-8. Apart from that, the UH-1 is such a classic and a nice module, it belongs into every rotorheads collection. 😉

Just to learn flying helicopters, a good alternative for a beginner might also be the Ka-50. The coaxial rotor takes one axis away (peddals) that you have to care about during the first flights which helps a lot to learn the basics. However, you need to know how the autopilot channels work, otherwise you will always fight with them.

Try Huey, it's not easy to control at beginning, it's fun when you do .

Edited by Sukhoi1991
  • Like 1

AMD 5800X | RTX 3080TI OC Edition | 64GB DDR4 3600 | 2TB nvme

Win10 X64 | TrackIR 5 | WINWING F16 HOTAS ORION | Saitek Combat Pedals

A-10C II | A/V-8B NA | UH-1H | AH-64D Longbow | F/A-18C | F-16C

Caucasus | Persian Gulf | Syria | Nevada | Combined Arms

Huey. Simply because of the raw flight experience that teaches you how to actually fly a helo, forces you to respect engine limitations, weather conditions, and how to behave when something goes wrong without the help of automated systems. I would say it is a invaluable experience before the AH-64D

To explain. I focused a lot of time on the Huey, but before that i have tried the KA-50 and thought its to hard to fly. But after a quite bit of hours in the Huey, when i jumped in the KA-50 i was like: its so smooth and easy. Both are different beasts, so no comparison here, but it truly made me appreciate how much work flight stabilisation systems are doing for the pilot. 

So again, try the Huey. Its a great learning platform before something more advanced like the AH-64D

Edited by Mr.Scar
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the suggestions. I tried the Huey and liked it so much that when the free trial expired yesterday I ended up buying it in the lunar sale. It was a little difficult at first but I'm slowly getting the hang of it. Since the apache was delayed again I'll have even more time to practice and when it finally comes out I'll at least know the basics of flying it.

• Like 4