will the FLIR system also be delayed or is it unrelated and might be released sonner?

nickos86
Go to solution Solved by BIGNEWY,

image.png

Honestly judging by that video, (and this is daytime image) it looks like its got some ways to go. Like that "hot" truck on the left looks like its missing textures at least. Also the smaller "hot" vehicle while a bit better still looks off frankly.

Also in the next snip

image.png

Especially for a daytime image where you will have much less thermal contrast and usually additional clutter. Frankly these "seem" like they would be taken at night under very cold conditions given how much this stuff stands out. And again, the vehicles look off in terms of textures. There should be way more fine thermal contrast, like windows should look "cold" and I'm not sure why the back or top the vehicles are so hot. Usually you get heat from engines (visible under the vehicle as well) and tires will often look hot. 

Mostly it still looks like its a WIP to me.

Here is a "real" thermal image of a vehicle(s)

image.png

Like that car in the middle you can see the front engine compartment showing hot. And other stuff has way more "fine" structure to the image, like there is no "Glowing" blob.

Generally speaking same thing for the "people" in the images. Clothes give off a totally different signature than unclothed parts of the body.
image.png

Like you can see the exposed face much more easily than the rest of the body for example. 

image.png

Edited by Harlikwin
  • Like 2

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

4 minutes ago, Silver_Dragon said:

by the video, none of that units has implement the FLIR technology.

What do you mean? 

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

11 minutes ago, Harlikwin said:

What do you mean? 

All vehicles need implement a new "texture" set, to represent the heat maps. On October 2021, ED "Leak" that texture sets on the Modelviewer on some updated units, but some weeks after, that option disapear. On then I build that video, only some unitis has that "4" texture FLIR sets (Tracks, Guns, Engine and Body). 

I check other units and was none FLIR textures. I check today the "date" of the units show on the video (Land Rovers and Urals), that have no been update near a half year or more, and that not was FLIR textures on October 2021.

That require ED "rebuild" all units with that texture sets.... Meanwhile has some pics show FLIR tech enable on some past newsletters.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

2 minutes ago, Silver_Dragon said:

All vehicles need implement a new "texture" set, to represent the heat maps. On October 2021, ED "Leak" that texture sets on the Modelviewer on some updated units, but some weeks after, that option disapear. On then I build that video, only some unitis has that "4" texture FLIR sets (Tracks, Guns, Engine and Body). 

I check other units and was none FLIR textures. I check today the "date" of the units show on the video (Land Rovers and Urals), that have no been update near a half year or more, and that not was FLIR textures on October 2021.

That require ED "rebuild" all units with that texture sets.... Meanwhile has some pics show FLIR tech enable on some past newsletters.

Yeah that makes sense, I've seen the vid of the various textures you show here, hence my comment about it being a WIP, that first picture 2 of the trucks look ok, the other 2 vehicles do not for example. Overall I Think the people look to bright, but thats also a gain/contrast thing as you can see similar things on other videos.

3 minutes ago, Harlikwin said:

Yeah that makes sense, I've seen the vid of the various textures you show here, hence my comment about it being a WIP, that first picture 2 of the trucks look ok, the other 2 vehicles do not for example. Overall I Think the people look to bright, but thats also a gain/contrast thing as you can see similar things on other videos.

Has a easy option to check them..... take a F/A-18C / F-16C or similar and use a FLIR over that vehicles appears on the AH-64 video, if the texture look as them... that has not been update.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

I like how people think it's just a "simple" different shader or something :)...

When really every single object in the game has to be touched to add the heat signature, receive adjustment for time of day and specific cooling characteristics based on how long they've been shut down etc...

This is the difference between a real "sim" and a game "sim" .  I get it...  it's a game...  but the development approach is what matters and sets it apart.  As I recall didn't the Viper already get the new FLIR but work on the related assets (every object in the game) to make it look right is still ongoing?

• Thanks 3

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Well, the video on the Viper's MFD looks much crappier than in ever other aircraft but the Tomcat, so I'd say that's certainly closer to reality. 🙂 That said, the new FLIR probably involves two largely independent parts: the heat signatures for objects, and the new way of rendering the image from the FLIR camera. The former is a global thing, the latter is module-side. In fact, as shown by Tomcat's LANTIRN implementation, having a mostly realistic camera image could be implemented before, even without heat signatures being touched at all.

There might also be a third thing, IIRC the new FLIR was supposed to track actual hot or cold spots, as opposed to game objects. I don't know what's the status of that one.

5 hours ago, M1Combat said:

I like how people think it's just a "simple" different shader or something :)...

When really every single object in the game has to be touched to add the heat signature, receive adjustment for time of day and specific cooling characteristics based on how long they've been shut down etc...

This is the difference between a real "sim" and a game "sim" .  I get it...  it's a game...  but the development approach is what matters and sets it apart.  As I recall didn't the Viper already get the new FLIR but work on the related assets (every object in the game) to make it look right is still ongoing?

Yeah lets see how much of a "sim" it is. At least the trees aren't hot anymore during the day.

And depending on what part of the FLIR regime you are in, I.e. MWIR vs LWIR and time of day background is fairly critical. the whole "it sees heat" is so stupidly misunderstood by most people its not even funny. An actual IR signature is reflection + emission, all modified by reflectivity and emissivity and the time of the day. MWIR (read that as TGP's we have are much more effected by reflection, and for them emission is an is a problem in some cases), For LWIR (read that as the AH64 FLIR) emission is more of what they see, but still you get some of reflection at lower wavelengths. 

Edited by Harlikwin

Thing is, apparently the FLIR is 'ready' from WAGS AH64 updates. It's not the feature holding the module from release. 

Waiting additional time for the 64 completion before release - makes sense and in my opinion is the right way to go... But perhaps the FLIR can be published for open beta earlier?

It's seems like a HUGE update in FLIR tech and being anticipated not less than the AH64 itself.

• ED Team
  • Solution

FLIR work is ongoing but is not linked to one module, it is a core task, 

of course it would be nice to have ready for the AH-64D but we will have to wait and see how the teams progress, it is a huge task

thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

11 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

FLIR work is ongoing but is not linked to one module, it is a core task, 

of course it would be nice to have ready for the AH-64D but we will have to wait and see how the teams progress, it is a huge task

thanks

Fair enough, are IR reflections going to be part of the engine? Fairly important IRL. 

21 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Well, the video on the Viper's MFD looks much crappier than in ever other aircraft but the Tomcat, so I'd say that's certainly closer to reality. 🙂 That said, the new FLIR probably involves two largely independent parts: the heat signatures for objects, and the new way of rendering the image from the FLIR camera. The former is a global thing, the latter is module-side. In fact, as shown by Tomcat's LANTIRN implementation, having a mostly realistic camera image could be implemented before, even without heat signatures being touched at all.

There might also be a third thing, IIRC the new FLIR was supposed to track actual hot or cold spots, as opposed to game objects. I don't know what's the status of that one.

Well heat signature, of both objects but MORE importantly terrain is the big thing, and hard to get right. Also lots of people misunderstand that its not just "generated heat" but also IR reflection that make up an IR image, all of course modified by emissivity. Thats why its hard to get it right IMO, I just hope ED actually bought some actual IR simulation software to crib off of. Plus there are some seriously different ways MWIR images look (TGP's usually) versus LWIR (apache/ground vehicles usually). 

And yeah it would be nice if stuff like reduced image quality and sensitivity from different generation pods made its way in. 

• Like 2