CPU Behavior

52 minutes ago, Caldera said:

More than 2 cores or more than 2 logical processors? 

My system always seems to use only two cores / four processors.  With exception of a few ripples at load time, the rest are "bored".

Caldera

Core is a core.  App doesn't care if it's physical or logical.  Your task manager graph looks expected.

47 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

I thought all except sound ran on one core? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Again, that's what most people believes because they don't see the graph moving majority of the time until the task assigned to other cores happen.  I just ran this test in DCS and you can see Core 7 and 9 were doing nothing.  Then I pressed F11 and started moving around the map really fast and those two showed activity.  Again, without SDK, I'm only speculating but my guess is those are related to preloading terrain.

Capture.JPG

Edited by Taz1004
  • Thanks 1

On 1/27/2022 at 10:20 AM, stormrider said:

Has anyone tried disabling Hyperthreading?

I keep it off just because I only use DCS and two other sims. Tried to turn it on but can't see any benefit, my cpu is about 6° cooler with HT off.

• Like 1

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 3080 TUF OC 10Gb * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

Some feedback from me: disabled the GPU scheduling and got the same CPU results. Load got distributed across all cores again, with one being used more than others.

Perhaps its due to i7 10750H being a mobile processor? Also maximal clock for this processor is 2.6GHz (5 GHz with boost). If I am correct: ED tried to pin to a single core, but OS/CPU decided otherwise.

Edited by okopanja

Hey All,

This is a snapshot of the Persia map flying in the Huey.  The Huey is typically the lowest load on my GPU, and notice that it is only running at 49%.  Both cores are getting hammered and very often I see spiking to 100%.  Both cores are always running at 4.606 GHz when I check them.

CPU 08 .gif

The FPS was very steady with no stuttering.  I do not know how close my PC is to CPU saturation running that mission, which is just flying to the west coast from Ras Al Khaimah and then back again.

Caldera

Edited by Caldera

Hi @stormrider,

I wish to apologize and to thank you.

I was very skeptical (as software developer working actually in IT) about disabling Hyperthreading and at the same time was a lazy to go to BIOS multiple times and make measurements.

Meanwhile I have extended my grafana dashboard to also collect nvidia internal performance metrics (nvidia_exporter).

With hyper-threading enabled:

- GPU usage up to 50 %

- Power usage 50-60W

- CPU usage low (as before)

- FPS in multiplayer 24-55 FPS

With hyperthreading disabled:

- GPU usage is above 90% (close to 100%)

- Power usage 100W

- CPU usage is higher than before (there is still juice left)

- FPS 60-70, and much more stable!

There must some conflict between:

- DCS itself

- WIndows scheduler

- Implementation of hyperthreading

Furthermore I believe this affects the server side as well.

I think I will order Ultrawide, since my test show that RTX 2070 Super can drive WQHD easily.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, okopanja said:

Hi @stormrider,

I wish to apologize and to thank you.

I was very skeptical (as software developer working actually in IT) about disabling Hyperthreading and at the same time was a lazy to go to BIOS multiple times and make measurements.

Meanwhile I have extended my grafana dashboard to also collect nvidia internal performance metrics (nvidia_exporter).

With hyper-threading enabled:

- GPU usage up to 50 %

- Power usage 50-60W

- CPU usage low (as before)

- FPS in multiplayer 24-55 FPS

With hyperthreading disabled:

- GPU usage is above 90% (close to 100%)

- Power usage 100W

- CPU usage is higher than before (there is still juice left)

- FPS 60-70, and much more stable!

There must some conflict between:

- DCS itself

- WIndows scheduler

- Implementation of hyperthreading

Furthermore I believe this affects the server side as well.

I think I will order Ultrawide, since my test show that RTX 2070 Super can drive WQHD easily.

Thank you for sharing your results.

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

I noticed some usually stuttering, then I noticed the below.  This was taken on the Nevada map A-10C-2.

Memory 01 .gif

I have a feeling that If I had left the game running it would have crashed.  I had restart my PC to get this to reset as every time I re-entered the game it was the same.

This is how it should look.

Memory 02 .gif

I guess it is just not a perfect world...

Caldera

Edited by Caldera