Gunfreak

I know the basic concepts. 

I'm flying the a F16 mission, I don't remember if I downloaded it or if its one that comes with the F16.

I have several enemy contacts from the data link, they are between 40 and 60 nml from me, the AWACS gives their altitude, I put the scan at 30 and move my rader altitude to cover that hight, yet I don't get a plane on my own radar, it says only as a AWACS contact for a very long time, only getting on my own rader when it's like 25 miles away. 

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

1 hour ago, Tholozor said:

What kind of targets were they? Were you in RWS or TWS?

TWS

29 minutes ago, Spurts said:

A datalinked target stays red, it just fills in when you have it too.  This threw me for a long time

The problem is I can't fill them. Even if I have my radar at the same elevation as the target.

10 hours ago, Dannyvandelft said:

Enemy planes won't show up until within 40 nm

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

That can't be true,  all the toturials show the plane getting contacts out to almost 80nm

2 hours ago, Dannyvandelft said:

The radar has been remodeled to show accurate distance.

However, if there's an AWACS or friendly plane with link16 in the area you could see them further away on the HSD.

But what's the point of having an AIM120C with a range of 57NM if you can't lock on until 40, the last toturial was from september 2021 and it can see targets at around 60nm, did the radar get another change after that?

Because that's the range of the F-16 radar. Has nothing to do with the AMRAAM range. The Tomcat was so powerful for instance, because it's radar could see well over 100 miles, and had a missile it could shoot long distance.

The Viper is a small, light plane. So it has a small radar. With link16 it can see beyond it's own radar distance.

Depends on the RCS, aspect, altitude and closure rate of the target. But you’re being optimistic if you think you can pick stuff up at that range.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.