Why the autopilot drops the nose hard when engageing altitude hold ?

Balu010

Every time I turn on altitude hold and press the NWS button to engage it the jet pitches down so hard it throws the AP off. I have to pull back on the stick to prevent it, but if I pull to hard then it throws off the AP instead.

It is a pain to engage it. Am I doing something wrong ? is this realistic? is this a bug ?

Back in October the flight model got reworked, and the amount of authority available to the auto pilot isn't quite correct to control the aircraft with the new values properly.

This is known and being worked on, but until then consider the A/P only partially functional at best

Edited by near_blind
  • Like 1

Try adding some throttle instead. This will cause the nose to go up, and should counteract the sink rate. Also, try slowing down a bit. I noticed it works best around 300kts at normal cruise altitudes. Also, trim it level before flipping the AP switch. If you do everything right, it will still drop the nose, but it should recover in time. Once it gets over the initial bump, it works, you just need to be very gentle with it.

The current situation is worse than it should be, but the above (except the throttle part, it shouldn't need it) is generally good advice for autopilots of the era. It's there to keep you flying level, not to get you there in first place.