Jester improvement idea - PD THRLD and Pulse gain set to "Norm" detent auto settings

Sideburns

Problem: Jester doesn't appear to be getting the most from the AWG-9, if you switch to his seat during single player he has the PD THRLD CLEAR and CLUTTER as well as the PULSE GAIN in their sub-optimal, default positions.*

While a skilled RIO will manually adjust these if required, a decent RIO will set them to their fully clockwise "Norm" position to let the AWG-9 control these automatically. From the HB DCS F14 manual:

"On the lower left side of the DDD is located the PULSE GAIN control knob (20) which controls the radar gain in the pulse modes. This control affects the gain of the radar directly. Normally left in the detent at the fully clockwise position which allows the WCS to control it automatically."

"On the left side of the DDD panel are located the PD THRLD (26), JAM/JET (24) and ACM THRLD (25) control knobs. The pulse-doppler threshold knobs (PD THRLD) controls the threshold at which an echo is regarded as a contact, displayed on the DDD and tracked on the TID in RWS and TWS. The CLEAR knob controls the clear region threshold (upper half of the DDD) and the CLUTTER knob controls the clutter region (lower half of the DDD). Normally left in the clockwise NORM detents, letting the WCS automatically control them."

Improvement suggestion: As part of start-up or fence in for combat, have Jester set these controls to their fully clockwise "Norm" positions.

*I am basing my observations solely off the positions of dials in the cockpit during single player seat switching, if Jester does in fact adjust these dials then my mistake but I have not observed him doing so in single player combat. Picture below shows Jester / default positions for these dials. But this might explain some of the frustration with Jester loosing targets readily.

image.png

Edited by Sideburns

Ryzen 5800x@5Ghz | 96gb DDR4 3200Mhz | Asus Rx6800xt TUF OC | 500Gb OS SSD + 1TB Gaming SSD | Asus VG27AQ | Trackhat clip | VPC WarBRD base | Thrustmaster stick and throttle (Deltasim minijoystick mod).

F14 | F16 | AJS37 | F5 | Av8b | FC3 | Mig21 | FW190D9 | Huey

Been playing DCS from Flanker 2.0 to present 😄

Nice, I didn't know they implemented the PD Threshold knob. I thought they were not going to be part of the EA.

Let's see what the devs say.

full_tiny.pngfull_tiny.png
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"
Virtual Backseaters Volume I: F-14 Radar Intercept Officer - Fifth Public Draft
Virtual Backseaters Volume II: F-4E Weapon Systems Officer - Internal Draft WIP

Phantom Phamiliarisation Video Series | F-4E/F-14 Kneeboard Pack

7 minutes ago, Karon said:

Nice, I didn't know they implemented the PD Threshold knob. I thought they were not going to be part of the EA.

Let's see what the devs say.

I will admit it is unclear if it is implemented. The manual implies it is, underneath this section of the manual it has "JAM/JET and ACM THRLD not currently implemented in DCS.", in game it has (no function) over these dials. I just spin them to auto in case they are, but haven't done enough testing to confirm function. The PULSE GAIN dial is clearly working though.

Also thanks as ever for your blog / F14 content, most useful.

• Like 1

Ryzen 5800x@5Ghz | 96gb DDR4 3200Mhz | Asus Rx6800xt TUF OC | 500Gb OS SSD + 1TB Gaming SSD | Asus VG27AQ | Trackhat clip | VPC WarBRD base | Thrustmaster stick and throttle (Deltasim minijoystick mod).

In this post (28/02/19) Mr Naquaii said it was not planned for EA, but ofc plans can change, and I wouldn't be surprised if I have missed something 😅

full_tiny.pngfull_tiny.png
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"
Virtual Backseaters Volume I: F-14 Radar Intercept Officer - Fifth Public Draft
Virtual Backseaters Volume II: F-4E Weapon Systems Officer - Internal Draft WIP

Phantom Phamiliarisation Video Series | F-4E/F-14 Kneeboard Pack

Aye, just also found that post and a similar one from 2021 implying PD THRLD is not implemented but may be in the future, would be worth checking with a dev maybe. I guess the request stands for PULSE GAIN to be set to norm if this has any effect on helping to hold a lock and isn't just a search mode thing.

Edited by Sideburns

I think if you hover over the knobs in the RIOpit, they will say that they’re non functional.

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

On 1/24/2022 at 9:01 PM, DSplayer said:

I think if you hover over the knobs in the RIOpit, they will say that they’re non functional.

Yeah, I did mention this earlier and the ambiguity between the manual and in cockpit message. Regardless having tested them they don't appear to make a difference, and also there was a comment by HB in another thread basically saying they are not functional for now.