North Pole and South Pole

Mike Force Team

Since this is a new year, I would like to revisit and repeat a map request.  Can we have a North Pole map?  This map would be great for Cold War scenarios.  Submarines can travel under the ice packs to launch their missiles or just watch the surroundings.  As for the bombers, they would likely fly over the North Pole either flying to or from the United States to or from the Soviet Unions.   We can use the flying tankers to refuel the bombers/jets that are flying the long duration flights over the North Pole.  

And now, let's head the other way to the South Pole.  This map should be easy to create.  We can add animated creatures like seals and penguins because they live at the South Pole.  Of course, we have plenty of snow, ice, and melt water to see up close as well at a distance.  The South Pole would be more a sand box environment.  People can create their own virtual communities, military bases, harbors, and other things to show a place where some really hearty people would want to live.  Include the historic whaling stations that are found on islands close to the South Pole.

• Like 3

For a North Pole map, the map size would have to be enormous just to include a handful of airports. I think the distances between airports would surprise you, and therefore make for some extremely long missions, not exactly to everyone’s taste. Great for AAR practice however 😂.

(Granted, Alert is not on the map below, but as a ~1500m dirt runway, it’s not exactly usable by everyone.)

A037AE92-56B0-477D-BC81-ABB2FC5B3F8D.jpeg

Edited by norman99
  • Like 1

Im only interested if the peguins fall over when you fly over them although Im hoping the SA map will fulfil this need.....

• Like 1

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

25 minutes ago, Rongor said:

To be clear, there are no penguins nor seals at the South pole. You will find them at the coast of the Antarctic though, as they need water, but not at the pole, which is way inland.

Thats fine. Im sure the OP will soon be putting in a Wishlist request to ED to have the devs give us the abilty to create them there anyway....

• Like 1

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

1 hour ago, Boosterdog said:

Im only interested if the peguins fall over when you fly over them although Im hoping the SA map will fulfil this need.....

I think there is merit in being nice to the penguins. 

Those ************* birds that steal their eggs, however, I hope they are well modelled in the upcoming FLIR update. Because it's going to be APKWS day and night for those heathens.

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

1 hour ago, Beirut said:

I think there is merit in being nice to the penguins. 

Those ************* birds that steal their eggs, however, I hope they are well modelled in the upcoming FLIR update. Because it's going to be APKWS day and night for those heathens.

I fear splash damage may somewhat undermine your good intentions there.........

• Like 1

When I saw recent videos posted on the Grim Reapers channel, they fly long-duration flights.  For example, a 1000 mile (or longer) flight where the pilots use aerial tankers for refueling.  Since the flights over the North Pole will likely take hours in real-world time, perhaps adding a time compression feature would make these flights more manageable.  

If we received feedback from retired B-52 pilots, their input would likely help the ED time for planning for possible polar maps.

8 hours ago, cordite said:

As for the capability of Alert, they land heavy transports there.

That’s very true, I know C-130s have no problem landing there.

I was mainly referring to fighter aircraft, which would struggle there, with their high landing speeds, poor braking and fragile undercarriage.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Boosterdog said:

I fear splash damage may somewhat undermine your good intentions there.........

That would be unacceptable. Maybe we could use a ninja variant of the APKWS like the HellfireR9X.

Egg stealing birds be like gone! 

I should clarify that for Canadian bases, some much further south than Alert would be needed. I guess that there wouldn’t be a heavy presence of buildings in such a map, save for near the air bases, but it still seems too large of an area for DCS to cover.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Beirut said:

Maybe we could use a ninja variant of the APKWS like the HellfireR9X.

The only way I think you're gonna be good is with a Hind and a highly trained squad of bird strangling Spetsnaz or a couple of SEALs (the two legged shooty kind not the clappy ork ork ones...though then again) on the wings of the Apache.........which is such a great idea Im gonna start a new wishlist all of my own  just for it!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Boosterdog said:

The only way I think you're gonna be good is with a Hind and a highly trained squad of bird strangling Spetsnaz or a couple of SEALs (the two legged shooty kind not the clappy ork ork ones...though then again) on the wings of the Apache.........which is such a great idea Im gonna start a new wishlist all of my own  just for it!

I like the cut of your jib.  :drinks_drunk:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MAXsenna said:

Just realised that nobody has mentioned Santa yet. 

Is it true that Blue Santa lives on the South? 

It is now only a question of time before he too gets his own wishlist thread.

As Kurgan once said "there can be only one" (sadly he was wrong - there was a sequal). 

In any case he's based in Ireland for tax reasons (Santa not Kurgan). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1