Poor VR Performance unless game is restarted.

Sleepy Joe

I got a reveb G2, 5800x, rtx 3080 and 32gb of ram. For what ever reason when I play online its good for a bit and then my framerate tanks to like 20 instead of the 45 that I'm used to. if I leave the server and go into single player my frame rate is still really low even though theres nothing going on. The only thing that fixes it is closing the game and reopening it.

Anyone seem to have a solution?

edit: So far it seems like alt tabbing for 10 or so seconds seems to stabilize my frame rate. High textures make it much worse and using the F keys to change views and use the map seems to lower the performance. 

Edited by Sleepy Joe
Update

Specs: RTX 3080FTW3, 5800x, 32gb 3200MHz ram

Peripherals: HP Reverb G2, VKB Gunfighter MKIII with SCG Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle

Does your frametime chart fill up with purple?  I have the same, originally I suspected it was lack of VRAM but I think that there is a memory hole somewhere, you can fly once but then have to restart DCS if you want to fly again (even if it's the same empty mission on the same map).  I think I've read that it happens if you switch planes as well in MP aswell?  Not sure myself as I'm SP only.

edit: I have an existing thread about the problem, not sure if it's been seen by the devs or whether it's been reported earlier.

Edited by edmuss
  • Thanks 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

26 minutes ago, edmuss said:

Does your frametime chart fill up with purple?  I have the same, originally I suspected it was lack of VRAM but I think that there is a memory hole somewhere, you can fly once but then have to restart DCS if you want to fly again (even if it's the same empty mission on the same map).  I think I've read that it happens if you switch planes as well in MP aswell?  Not sure myself as I'm SP only.

edit: I have an existing thread about the problem, not sure if it's been seen by the devs or whether it's been reported earlier.

Yeah my FPSVR graph goes purple. It also does the same thing in the menu even after I exit the game. Seems like hitting alt tab and alt enter seems to fix it temporarily

Peripherals: HP Reverb G2, VKB Gunfighter MKIII with SCG Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle

Yup same thing I have, I've not tried alt-tabbing as it only takes a few seconds to restart DCS.  The actual GPU frametime is visible behind the purple, still down below 16ms but the dropped purple frames are then pulling it back above 30-40ms.

@BIGNEWY has this already been reported?  Seemed to start with the last OB patch.

• Like 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

yeah the second I spawned in a 4ya server I went from a locked 45 to 10fps with the purple graph. Alt Tab for a few seconds and I was back to 45fps.

I've noticed the same thing ever since I've started with VR (and DCS).

My regular go to in the following situations of 'server restarting or changing servers' is to close DCS and restart it. As a Steam user I sometimes also restart SteamVR  (especially if I notice the SteamVR area (The circular lines view) having a jitter/judder effect).

I'm assuming here (not knowing how it works) is that 'something' (whatever something is) isn't 'RAM, resources, temp' isn't clearing/shutting down cleanly (or at all).

Regards,

Paul "Dodge / LondonLad"

SYSTEM SPECS: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x , 64GB 3600MHz RAM, ASUS ROG Strix X570-F Gaming, NVIDIA RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6, IIYAMA 34" Curved GB3466WQSU Monitor, Thrustmaster Warthog (Joystick (Backup) + Throttles),VPC WarBRD-D Base,VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VPC ACE Interceptor Pedals, VKB Pedals (v4) (backup)  + TM MFD w/CUBESIM (x2), PointCTRL, HP Reverb G2 VR  Headset & Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset + TrackIR

Group: DCAF

Maybe I’m crazy but I turned my motion reprojection from forced to enabled in Steamvr and it seems to run better now. Every time my frames tanks I just alt tab for 10 seconds and it’s back to normal. 

I've been testing the extended alt tab till the frametime graph settles back down and it seems to be a quicker fix than restarting; doesn't always work though.

I think I have all smoothing options set to auto/enabled.

Still certain that's it's a big within DCS.

6 hours ago, edmuss said:

I've been testing the extended alt tab till the frametime graph settles back down and it seems to be a quicker fix than restarting; doesn't always work though.

I think I have all smoothing options set to auto/enabled.

Still certain that's it's a big within DCS.

Yeah I recently had the alt tab trick not work. But 90% of the time is does. Hopefully others with this issue will see this post. 

@Sleepy Joe & @Dodge whilst testing with HAGS enabled for something else I've noticed that I've not had this issue since, albeit this is only with minimal testing.  I know HAGS has in the past caused issues with VR but it might be worthwhile trying it on again, after all it is a developing system and MS could be throwing out updates for it all the time.

Would be good to see if it makes any difference for you, I will continue to leave it on and see if I still get the frame drops.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I used to have this usse but gladly I dont have this issue anymore. I uninstalled custom shaders, cleared fxo & metashaders and lowered texture resolution to medium. Not sure which of these were responsible. But now i can restart missions as often as i want without performance drops.

3070 GTX

Edited by winghunter

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

This just starting happening to me. I found one suggestion about lowering preload radius which seems to help.

If it happens again, I will try using the memory trim feature in Process Lasso on the DCS process. In the past, this has helped with similar problems, which I think are memory related. 

ASUS Z390 / Intel i7-9700K / 32 GB DDR4 / 1080Ti / HP Reverb 2 / Thrustmaster WH&TPR

Heath and Allen Zedi8 / TrackIR / Momo USB monitor / Akai MPD218

I had this same issue not too long ago.  I would boot up, get in a flight and the fps would be really low and stuttering like crazy.  At first I thought it was a shader issue since I was switching between 2d and VR, so I would close the game, delete the shader files (fxo and metashaders) and restart the game.  It would then work correctly.  After a while I think I noticed I just simply needed to restart the game for everything to work fine.  What fixed it?  I have no idea.  Either an OB update, a Windows update, an updated shaders mod, dumb luck, or a mix of all of them, but I no longer have the issue.

5900x | 3090 | HP Reverb G2