Engaging NWS after landing locks up the nearest aircraft.

norman99

Exactly as the title describes, after landing on the carrier, when pressing the NWS switch to engage NWS Hi, the attack radar bugs the nearest aircraft as the L&S target.

It also happens during startup, when attempting to engage NSW Hi, even when the radar has been in Silent mode, which is strange, because the only track files would be from datalink, and we cannot yet bug datalink files as L&S, so something is weird.

I couldn't get a track, but I'll  try and set up a small test mission to demonstrate.

How soon after landing is this happening, because it might be possible for you to be setting a track currently going into MEM as the L&S (even though the MEM logic is also guffed)

Edited by Swiftwin9s
  • Like 1

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

I genuinely don’t know, but should there be some weight-on-wheels logic that identifies when the NWS button is used for NWS/NWS Hi selection, and when it is used for radar L&S target selection? 

Edited by norman99

Interesting you say that, as it's constantly mentioned as one of the most important missing features.
In DCS, you're just designating a track in radar memory after you land, not a non-radar MSI track, so it's not necessarily the same as in the IRL video. MSI is still missing in DCS.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

7 hours ago, norman99 said:

Interesting you say that, as it's constantly mentioned as one of the most important missing features.

Yes, in the context of our DCS hornet that has not a shred of actual MSI implemented it is a little more odd. However the feature works as intended all the same. NWS with TDC on the radar even if the page isn't up should, as in the video: invoke L&S step onto valid tracks.

• 5 months later...

?Why this issue need the track replay?This issue is a fking old bug,about 2 or 3 years.When you HOT on ground and press NWS button your radar will lock on the nearest plane right?ED never fixed this old bug.

Edited by zhouyut001
  • GamingPC: Ryzen 5950X  + 64G RAM + Nvidia 4090 + 1T Dedicated SSD For DCS 
  • HOTAS: WingWin F15EX Throttle + VKB Gunfighter Mk.III Joystick + SN2 Rudder + TrackIR Pro
  • HomeServer: Dell R7515 (EPYC 7402 + 1 T RAM + 48T SSD Raid10 + Nvidia A40
  • Network: Google Fiber 2G

• ED Team
On 7/7/2022 at 12:58 PM, zhouyut001 said:

?Why this issue need the track replay?

all bug reports need a track replay so we can check what the user is reporting is actually a bug, in this case I do not think this is a bug, but we would like to check nevertheless to ensure, or maybe help the user out.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

On 7/12/2022 at 4:43 AM, Hulkbust44 said:
On 7/7/2022 at 7:58 PM, zhouyut001 said:
?Why this issue need the track replay?This issue is a fking old bug,about 2 or 3 years.When you HOT on ground and press NWS button your radar will lock on the nearest plane right?ED never fixed this old bug.

It's not a bug, that's why.

So you mean the radar can work on ground?

On 7/12/2022 at 4:24 PM, BIGNEWY said:

all bug reports need a track replay so we can check what the user is reporting is actually a bug, in this case I do not think this is a bug, but we would like to check nevertheless to ensure, or maybe help the user out.

thanks

I mean it a old one,I think there are already someone posted the track files.I remembered the F18 radar can lock targets on the ground lasted 3 years,no one reported?

• GamingPC: Ryzen 5950X  + 64G RAM + Nvidia 4090 + 1T Dedicated SSD For DCS 
  • HOTAS: WingWin F15EX Throttle + VKB Gunfighter Mk.III Joystick + SN2 Rudder + TrackIR Pro
  • HomeServer: Dell R7515 (EPYC 7402 + 1 T RAM + 48T SSD Raid10 + Nvidia A40
  • Network: Google Fiber 2G

11 minutes ago, zhouyut001 said:

So you mean the radar can work on ground?

I mean it a old one,I think there are already someone posted the track files.I remembered the F18 radar can lock targets on the ground lasted 3 years,no one reported?

The radar isn't locking anything while on the ground (radar should not be emitting with weight-on-wheels if I remember correctly), it is designating track files from memory. The distinction between a lock (STT) and a designation (L&S) is good to know, the community's misnomer of "soft lock" (which isn't a thing) often contributes to this common misunderstanding.

For example, if MSI is ever implemented in the DCS F18 you could designate an offboard track without radar contribution at all, allowing you to designate tracks while on the ground even after radar memory has timed out.

Edited by MARLAN_

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

46 minutes ago, MARLAN_ said:

For example, if MSI is ever implemented in the DCS F18 you could designate an offboard track without radar contribution at all, allowing you to designate tracks while on the ground even after radar memory has timed out.

Something you can see happening in quite a few cruise videos aswell

• Like 2

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

Yes, it can *recieve* on the ground. What's been seen here are jamming strobes with resolved azimuth. System memory can hold tracks for a while, but what you actually pickup on the ground is from jammers.
  • Like 1