Confused newb, what can steam version do that EDs cant, and vice versa?

I believe any plane/addons that you get in steam version can be imported into the other correct?

If thats the case, why wouldnt everyone get that version?  If theres a case (example??) where Steam offers something else... can you install and have both versions running side by side or will that cause any problems

19 minutes ago, GrannySShifting said:

I believe any plane/addons that you get in steam version can be imported into the other correct?
You can use the steam purchase for the standalone DCS but you can't use an ED shop purchase for your Steam installation.

If thats the case, why wouldnt everyone get that version?

Because what do you need Steam for when you can receive it directly from the developer? Steam gets a 30 % cut for every sold key, so what ED is getting is lower than what you are paying on steam. So why not instead deliver the paid price fully to the devs to support their work?

If theres a case (example??) where Steam offers something else... can you install and have both versions running side by side or will that cause any problems

You can, but since you can link your steam purchase to your ED account for use in the standalone installation, there would be no point in this

any further questions might find answers in this subforum:

https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/284-steam-support/

Edited by Rongor
  • Like 2

Steam offers you "auto updates" and another place to keep your licenses. And sometimes better price depending on currency. 

ED Shop makes shure ED receive most of your money and you get miles for your purchases. 

I have never had the Steam version installed,while I did my initial purchase through Steam. 

There are absolutely NO difference of the game itself, between the versions. 

EDIT: Apart from the last year's issues with the Steam client itself. Go Standalone and never look back. Decide where you want to purchase. 

Also, one major point of going Standalone is Skatezilla's excellent updater/launcher, which ain't compatible with Steam. 

Edited by MAXsenna
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, GrannySShifting said:

That's correct. If you already installed/purchased DCS/modules via steam, you can transfer to the standalone version. But it's not possible to transfer from standalone to the Steam version.

If you purchase DCS modules via Steam, ED doesn't get 100 % of your money. So if you wanna support ED 100 % purchase the modules directly at ED.

All about transferring from Steam to standalone: https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/195824-steam-transfers-now-available-via-dcs-account-profile/?do=getNewComment

Steam FAQ: https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/94423-steam-frequently-asked-questions-faq-and-steam-specific-issues/?do=getNewComment

2 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

Apart from the last year's issues with the Steam client itself.

Obviously I missed something. Which issues are you talkin' about?

Edited by AstonMartinDBS

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H

7 hours ago, GrannySShifting said:

If theres a case (example??) where Steam offers something else... can you install and have both versions running side by side or will that cause any problems

You can, I did this for a while, but as MAXsenna said, both versions are identical, so there is no point in doing that. But it won´t cause problems (other than using a lot of space)
Steam users can play with standalone users in multiplayer and vice versa.

Generally both versions (steam and ED standalone) are fine, use whatever fits you better, ED version offers some more discounts (for new users for example), releases come a few hours earlier.
Personally, I use the steam version, because I like to keep my desktop clean, I have to start steam anyway to use steam VR, and also because I want to keep spreading my payment information around to a minimum.

• Like 1

Obviously I missed something. Which issues are you talkin' about?
From the top of my head. There was an issue after Steam updated the launcher, which made ED "force" Steam users on to OB version or something. Or DCS wouldn't start.
Cannot comment further as I didn't experience this myself as a Standalone user.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

There was an issue after Steam updated the launcher, which made ED "force" Steam users on to OB version or something. Or DCS wouldn't start.

I've installed the OB (only), so I didn't recognize that issue.

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H

3 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

Also, one major point of going Standalone is Skatezilla's excellent updater/launcher, which ain't compatible with Steam.

This !!!

• Like 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

You also earn "miles" on purchases through the ED store, which you can use toward future purchases for an additional discount. Miles can't be earned if you buy through Steam.

For every $10 spent, you get $1 worth of miles. 

• Like 1

13700k, 64GB DDR5, RTX 3080, 1x 4TB M.2, 3x 2TB M.2, @ 3440x1440p, Windows 11

just install OB and enjoy the game.  only real reason to use steam would be if ur from some country where steam would then help w/ the purchase of the game.

Intel i9-9900K 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080tiftw3, Windows 10, 1tb 970 M2, TM Warthog, 4k 144hz HDR g-sync.

Steam gives refunds pretty painlessly. I've retuned one map (bought back later), at least two planes (bought back later), and one pre-order (which I may buy back later).

I have no reason for why I stared with Steam but I did and I've stayed with it for years and it works. And I like the Steam wallet function.

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

Probably not an issue for anyone but myself but I'm unsure if you can throttle the download speed of standalone.  Most folks I've talked to say you can't, but for someone like myself it's an absolute requirement.  If you can throttle the stand alone download speed I'd like to know, as not being able to is a 100% no-go for me.  I top out at 350kb/s download speed and it would take upward of 9 days or so to fully redownload the game with all my maps/modules, and in that time I would be totally unable to realistically use my internet for anything else.  

This is something that even comes up with updates, as there have been updates that have taken me multiple days to download, especially when maps get added to or messed with.  It's an experience, can't wait for Starlink to hit Arkansas.

My vote's for the ED version. The only module I have on Steam is Blackshark and it's handling of the Blackshark II upgrade was and still is weird. It's like it constantly says I can install Blackshark even though I have Blackshark 2 installed, or something like that, I don't remember exactly I just know the handling of it is strange and it's still disorderly, at least looks wise, though it does work fine in DCS.