How good was Mig-29m 9.15

F-2

I’ve always been interested in the 80s mig-29m. The first true soviet multirole, it went a long way in correcting deficiencies of the earlier 9.12/9.13 models. Much more modern radar, a basic glass cockpit, fly-by-wire for care free handling, much more internal fuel. I haven’t found reliable weight figures, but it seems to have have suffered much less weight gain then later Mig-29s with uprated engines. I’ve also unclear with the G limit. On one hand it seems to have been designed to avoid the mach .85 G limit of the base model on the other hand I’ve read the lithium aluminum had not been perfected by the end of the program limiting its high g.

so is anyone more familiar with this version of the aircraft interested in commenting?

On 1/23/2022 at 5:51 PM, F-2 said:

I’ve always been interested in the 80s mig-29m. The first true soviet multirole, it went a long way in correcting deficiencies of the earlier 9.12/9.13 models. Much more modern radar, a basic glass cockpit, fly-by-wire for care free handling, much more internal fuel. I haven’t found reliable weight figures, but it seems to have have suffered much less weight gain then later Mig-29s with uprated engines. I’ve also unclear with the G limit. On one hand it seems to have been designed to avoid the mach .85 G limit of the base model on the other hand I’ve read the lithium aluminum had not been perfected by the end of the program limiting its high g.

so is anyone more familiar with this version of the aircraft interested in commenting?

I have an old article in Russian on the development of the MiG-29M(9.15), that I started translating once - I will see if I can find it. its quite comprehensive and gives a pretty good account for all aspects of the aircraft.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Seaeagle said:

I have an old article in Russian on the development of the MiG-29M(9.15), that I started translating once - I will see if I can find it. its quite comprehensive and gives a pretty good account for all aspects of the aircraft.

Oh I would love that!

Ok I found it.

But my menory failed me a little. Its not in Russian as I recalled, but rather a Russian article that has been machine-translated into English with all the jibberish that entails and what I remembered as an effort to "translate" it, was actually an effort to clean it up and rewrite it in proper English.

So give me a little time to complete that and I will post it here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/28/2022 at 6:36 PM, G.J.S said:

I’m pretty sure the one I was able to crawl over at RIAT many years ago was Klimov, yep - very sure. As were every OVT. Couldn’t take video as I was “working”.

That must have been something to see it up close! 

On 1/23/2022 at 5:51 PM, F-2 said:

Same here. The older 9.12/9.13 main feature over the MiG-23 was the much improved maneuverability, but it was kind of pointless due to the airplane not having enough fuel for dogfighting at any meaningful intercept range. The radar was basically at the same level as later MiG-23 MLA or MLD radars, so if R-27R and R-73 missiles plus HMS were installed on a newer MiG-23 variant (with e.g. AL-31F engines), I would wager it would have been a more useful combo than the MiG-29 operationally (due to a much larger combat radius).

9.15 finally adds more modern radar tech (ditches the cassegrain design for the flat plate slotted array and adds improved computers in the form of Ts101), adds another heavy pylon to the enlarged wings and improves on the fuel capacity (not only by ditching the auxiliary intakes, but also by having composite wings which allowed more capacity from the bag tanks which had to be used on the older variants) and adds smokeless engines (among some other improvements).

The much improved A2G capabilities (by supporting guided missiles and bombs) were also quite significant, but I don't think most if not all of the announced weapons were fully developed and integrated in the 9.15 prototypes (compared to the A2A functions), especially as the N010 radar development was lagging behind.

Shame the SU broke before it entered serial production. The current M model shares the two-seater canopy (from M2) so it looks quite odd to me.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

• ED Team

Deleted off topic, please stay in this universe and not a parallel one.

thanks

• Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

12 minutes ago, nighthawk2174 said:

I'm not familar with the 9.15 mig-29 how does it differ from the A/S models we have in game.

It was basically the first multirole Mig and probably the most advanced aircraft ready for service at the collapse of the USSR. The radar was replaced with a digital planter array like apg-65, the mechanical flight control system was replaced by an analog fly by wire one. A limited glass cockpit was implemented. Flaps where enlarged for better low speed handling, AoA limit was 35-40 degrees. The aircraft was somewhat heavier then the base Mig-29 but not like the later 2000s migs which are heavier then an F-15c and under powered. 9.15 had updated RD-33k engines. Had a range of air to surface weapons and the R-77. Was literally about to go into production when the USSR collapsed. You can see the naval version here at MAKS doing off how agile it was 

the Mig-29s we have I believe is an attempt to implement some Mig-29m features into the “classic” airframe and it’s the closest in terms of capabilities. But the upgraded radar should still have slightly less range. The S’s modified flight control system is still mechanical, none of the refinements for improved low speed are implemented, and of course the engines are the same as the standard Mig-29. But the S was I believe meant to compliment the M.

2 hours ago, nighthawk2174 said:

What kind of production numbers did this variant see?

IIRC, 6 prototypes (Blue 151 to 156). If I understood correctly, the state trials were quite protracted due to lack of funding so they weren't fully completed by the time USSR fell apart, though the commission did recommend for it to enter production if some minor issues were addressed.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

6 hours ago, Dudikoff said:

IIRC, 6 prototypes (Blue 151 to 156). If I understood correctly, the state trials were quite protracted due to lack of funding so they weren't fully completed by the time USSR fell apart, though the commission did recommend for it to enter production if some minor issues were addressed.

Ok but they never saw mass production?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nighthawk2174 said:

Unfortunately no, I but most of the new stuff was rehashes in to a upgrade package of existing 29's into SMT standard as cheaper option... In a way SMT was downgrade from 9.15 M that could be applied to exiting aircraft

• Thanks 1

-------

All the people keep asking for capabilities to be modelled.... I want the limitations to be modelled.... limitations make for realistic simulation.

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a bit you realize the pig likes it.

Long time ago in galaxy far far away:

https://www.deviantart.com/alfafox/gallery

40 minutes ago, nighthawk2174 said:

No unfortunately. The naval version 9.31 was actually approved but the fall of the USSR they went with the Su-33 for commonality with the Su-27. The land based Mig-29m was in the final stages before approval.

Ok I finally managed to find the time to complete the rewrite. Its not perfect and there are a few passages I couldn't quite desipher, but I am a little hung up at the moment so I don't have time to improve it further. I have also added some pictures and and a little extra info when appropriate(e.g. a fuel comparison between 9.12 and 9.15).

Anyway, here it is:

MiG-29M (9.15)

Research into the creation of a light multirole fighter on the basis of the MiG-29 began already in 1982 - before the MiG-29 itself entered operational service. For the upgraded version with the designation "MiG-29M"(Item 9.15), MIG outlined the following objectives:

1. to increase the efficiency of the fighter in engaging both aerial and ground targets.
2. to increase survivability
3. to increase operational range
4. to improve "man-machine" interface and decrease pilot workload

These objectives should be met by use of the following means:

*. airborne surveillance, introduction of a new generation of onboard equipment and high-precision armament including guided air-to-ground ordinance
*. introduction of new integrated self-protection suite and advanced cockpit display- and control systems.
*. increased fuel capacity(both internally and externally) and powerplant with improved peformance.

Additionally the new aircraft had to embody a number of enhancements designed to improve aerodynamics, stability and control characteristics as well as increase
production adaptability, while maintaining the overall design and layout of the MiG-29.

Key design features of the MiG-29M.

One of the main design and technological features of the MiG-29M was to be the widespread use of a new airframe aluminum-lithium alloy "01420" for which welded joints replaced riveted ones in most places. Since the new alloy is lighter, it was possible to reduce the overall weight of the structure, while eliminating the need for overlapping joints as well as as sealing the joints in the fueltanks and compartments. Another advantage of this construction is the possibility to use the full internal volume for fuel - this was previously not possible due to the inability to seal riveted joints. The entire front of the fuselage was made up of all-welded alloy "01420" including the sealed cockpit. During development of the MiG-29M, it was again desided to return to widespread use of composite parts - these included the speedbrake, airducts, engine covers, fins and covers for various hatches. The honeycomb structure of most of these elements had a small mass and high stiffness and strength. Application of radio-absorbant materials reduced the effective radar reflective surface of the aircraft.

The main structural improvements implemented on the MiG-29M, includes changes in the [forms sagging of the wing?] and horizontal tail, the introduction of a new engine FOD protection system(without the auxillary air intakes of the baseline MiG-29), a new speedbrake, a new drogue parachute, strengthening the chassis etc. A key distinction from the basic type was the installation of  an analog-to-digital "Fly-by-wire" flight control system(KSU-915) with quadruple redundancy in the longitudinal channel and triple in the lateral, that allowed to realize the concept of a longitudinal static aircraft instability (which was not possible with the traditional electro-mechanical control system of the baseline MiG-29 [performed on the static stability diagram?]) and thereby helped to improve agility and increase flight range by reducing the balancing losses in cruise.

The sharp leading edge of the wing provided an influx of more vigorous vortex formation system at high angles of attack and, together with ailerons of increased span, a significant improvement in the controllability at low speeds. The horizontal tail planes got a larger area and the ledge("dog tooth") on the front edge improves the flow around the stabilizer at high angles of departure. Instead of the two-piece speedbrake situated between the engine nozzles on the original MiG-29, the MiG-29M got a single large brake panel with a surface area  of 1 m2 on the spine. [Longitudinal moment occurs when you reject flap automatically parried FBWCS]?. The single 17 m2  drogue parachute of the original MiG-29 was replaced by a twin parachute system with a combined area 26 m2. The chassis was reinforced and  wheels with more powerful wheel brakes, new high pressure tires were introduced in order to cope with an increased take-off weight of more than 22 tons.

The new system to protect engines from foreign objects during takeoff, landing and taxiing, has raisable grids inside the engine ducts with auxillary intake being performed via a perforated wall in the main gear wells - i.e, doing away with the solid intake doors/auxillary intake system of the baseline MiG-29 and thus allowed the vacant space to be used for an increase in internal fuel. The "moving lip" at the lower edge of the air intake controlling a deviation down to 20 ° reduces the loss of thrust at takeoff.

Cutaway drawing showing internal structure:

MiG-29M_cutaway.jpg

Engines

For the MiG-29M and the naval variant MiG-29K Leningrad NPO. Klimov developed the RD-33K engine, which is characterised by improved realiability and throttle response, increased thrust and reduced specific fuel consumption. The RD-33K has a new low-pressure compressor and a digital electronic hydro-automatic control system, for which the main elements are;

-  HP-85 hydro-pump regulator
-  RSF-85 nozzle and afterburner control
-  ESA-21 electronic control system

Specific fuel consumption is reduced by 7% to [1.97 kg / (kg * h) (0.20 kg / (N╩ch)).] Specific engine weigh:t 0.119 kg / kgf.

Performance characteristics:

- full military thrust: 5500 kgf
- afterburner: 8800 kgf

On the MiG-29K(but not on the MiG-29M) there is an additonal "emergency thrust" mode, which momentarily raises the thrust by an additional ~ 200 kgf in afterburner, which was introduced in order for the MiG-29K to make safe unassisted take-offs from the aircraft carrier's short take-off position at normal take-off weight(17700 kg) or from the long run position at maximum TOW (22400 kg).

Fuel system

The internal fuel capacity on the MiG-29M was increased to 5810 liters (4560 kg) and on the MiG-29K to 5670 liters (4490 kg), providing an increase in flight range of some 30-40% compared with the baseline MiG-29(9.12). The Increased fuel capacity was achieved primarily through the redesigned FOD system, which provided room for increased capacity of fuel tank no.1 to 1710 liters. Internal wing tank capacity was increased by 20% to 400 liters each, fuel tank no. 3A was increased to 530, while a new tank no 3B added an additional 130 liters. Fuel tanks no 2(840 liters) and no. 3(1800 liters) are the same as on the baseline MiG-29.  

Additionally the MiG-29M and MiG-29K can carry up to three external fuel tanks - one 1500 liter(~ 1200 kg) centerline tank of and two 1150 liter(~ 800 kg) wing drop tanks .

The MiG-29K(but not -29M) was fitted with a retractable in-flight refueling probe and the fuel system was further modified with proivision for use of a "buddy refueling" pack.

Fuel tank layout/capacity comparison MiG-29(9.12) vs MiG-29M(9.15)

MiG-29:

Tank no 1:       650 L
Tank no 2:       840 L
Tank no 3:     1800 L
Tank no 3A:       300 L
Tanks wing:      650 L
----------------------------------
Total int. fuel:    4240 L

Ext. CL tank:    1500 L
---------------------------------
Total fuel cap.:    5740 L

MiG-29M:

Tank no 1:     1710 L
Tank no 2:       840 L
Tank no 3:     1800 L
Tank no 3A:       530 L
Tank no 3B:       130 L
Tanks wing:      800 L
----------------------------------
Total int. fuel:    5810 L

Ext. CL tank:     1500 L
Ext. W tanks:    2300 L
---------------------------------
Total fuel cap.:    9610 L

Sensory and combat systems

MiG-29M and MiG-29K were equipped with a new S-29M (SUV-29M) fire control system, incorporating the RLPK-29UM  radar system and OEPrNK-29M electro-optical system and navigation system operated on digital computers TS101 series and TS100 with a new mathematical software . The Pulse-Doppler radar N010 "Zhuk" designed by Phazatron-NIIR (General Designer; A.I.Kanaschenkov , Chief Designer Yu.N.Guskov RLS), provides tracking of up to 10 air targets and engagement of up to four simultaneously. Detection range of a fighter type target in the forward hemisphere was increased to 80 km compared to 70 km of the N019 radar and scan limits in azimuth increased from +/- 70 to +/- 90 degrees respectively. The station has the Earth's surface viewing mode with low (actual beam), medium (narrowing of the Doppler beam mode) and high (synthetic aperture mode) resolution. It can draw a radar image of the terrain, work in mapping mode, determine the coordinates and speed of ground targets, enlarge the scale of the selected area of the image areas to measure its own speed of the aircraft for the correction of the navigation system and the introduction of an amendment to the wind when using unguided weapons, provide a flight in an automatic rounding terrain. The station has a 680 mm flat slot antenna array with electronic beam scanning in elevation (N019 radar was completed mirrored spherical antenna mechanically scanned in both planes). New technical solutions have allowed to reduce the weight of the N010 radar compared to N019 by almost 60%.

Phazatron-NiiR N010 "Zhuk" radar:

NIIR-N010.jpg

The composition of the upgraded optical-electronic sighting and navigation complex OEPrNK-29M includes a new optical-location station OLS-M (chief designer D.M.Horol) and helmet-mounted target designation system. The optical-location station includes thermal, laser and television channels. It has increased range against aerial targets and can provide laser illumination of ground targets to determine range and provide guidance for laser guided air-to-ground munitions and for tracking ground targets in the correlation mode. The combined general spherical fairing for OLS-M sensors are (like on the MiG-29) located in front of the cockpit. The station consists of:

- teplopelengator with a new more sensitive deep-cooled infrared receiver, which considerably increased the detection range(compared with the previous KOLS) against targets in rear aspect and made it possible to detect targets in the forward hemisphere.

- TV cameras to detect air and ground targets at a great distance (there is a correlation television tracking mode for the purpose of land).

- a new laser rangefinder/designator of increased power.[~ double range - some 16 km)

For more effective detection/identification of ground targets and to ensure the application of guided air-to-ground weapons(including at night) it was furthermore envisioned to equip the aircraft with pod containing an electro-optical system comprising laser, TV and thermal imaging.

The On-board defense system of the MiG-29M includes a new radar warning station[L-150], which has the ability to pass targeting information to anti-radar missiles, the Gardeniya-1FU ECM station and two blocks BVP-60-26 chaff/flare dispensers placed under the skin on the upper surface of the airframe with a total of 120 rounds of ammunition.

Flight and navigation equipment of the MiG-29M also upgraded with a new inertial navigation system (INS), a system of radio navigation near and far. The aircraft is equipped with a secure data link for communication with ground automated control systems and airborne command post, as well as new means of radio communication and IFF.

One of the differences between the complex equipment MiG-29K compared to the avionics of the MiG-29M was the inclusion of the navigation system CH-K "Node", which provides navigation over the sea and landing on the deck of aircraft carriers. The "Node" navigation system consisted of an inertial navigation system of the new generation, (ANN-84) satellite navigation system, radio navigation system and landing systems, air signals and digital computer. The onboard navigation equipment needs to interact with the ship's "lighthouses". It had a secure transmission line with coded information and automated controlst.

Cockpit and instrumentation

In the development of the modernized fighter, a lot of attention was paid to the improvement of the pilot's workplace. The view from the cockpit was improved - the angle of view forward and down was increased to 15 degrees due to the elevated position of the ejection seat. It has undergone considerable refinement to the indication system: two multifunction monochrome CRT displays were installed for displaying targeting and navigation information. A new improved heads-up-display(HUD) is the main
display for flight information and new compact electro-mechanical gauges located on the cockpit front panel only serves as back-up in case of failure of the electronic display. Basic aircraft systems and deployment of weapons can be controlled from the flight stick and throttle grips(HOTAS concept).

Cockpit of no. 155 left and no 156 right.

MiG-29M pits.jpg

Armament

The internal 30 mm GSH-301 cannon is retained, although with a reduced ammunition load(100 rounds), but the capacity and range of external weaponry changed significantly. The maximum external payload was increased to 4500 kg and the number of weapon stations grew to nine - four under each wing and one on the fuselage.

The R-27R was retained in the weapon control system, while the thermal homing R-27T as well as extended range R-27RE and R-27TE were added. Two to four R-27R/T or two R-27RE/TE can be carried. The new medium range R-77(RVV-AE) active-radar homing missile was added to the air-to-air armament. The development of this, the nation's first missile with an active homing head, began in 1982 at "Vympel (Chief designer; G.A.Sokolovsky, Development Manager; V.A.Pustovoytov) in response to the creation of the US AMRAAM(AIM-120A). During the initial stage of flight, the missile is controlled by its inertial navigation system(INS) with radio corrections transmitted by the launching aircraft, which provides engagement from long range(up to 90 km). At terminal stage of flight, the missile is guided by its active radar homing head, which provides the principle of "fire-and-forget" and the ability to engage several targets simultaneously. New design solutions - in particular the use of lattice control surfaces((first in the world on an air-to-air missile) ensures high maneuverability, making it capable of intercepting air targets maneuvering at up to 12 Gs.

The MiG-29M can carry up to eight R-77/RVV-AE, eight R-73 short range missiles or a any combination of both.

To effectively engage ground targets, the armament of the MiG-29M was expanded with guided air-to-ground weapons;

- general purpose tactical missiles Kh-25ML and Kh-29L with semi-active laser guidance system and  Kh-29T with television homing head

- anti-ship missile Kh-31A with active radar homing head

- anti-radar missiles Kh-25MP and Kh-31P with passive radar homing head

- TV guided aerial bomb KAB-500Kr

The plane can carry up to six Kh-25 missiles, Kh-29 or KAB-500bombs and up to four X-31 missiles. The range of unguided weapons remained virtually unchanged, but rockets of the type S-5 (50 mm) were abandoned in favor of the more efficient S-8(80 mm) and S-13(122 mm) - up to four rocket pods B-8M1(S-8) or four B-13L(S-13) can be carried, while the maximum amount of FAB-500 was increased to nine.

Maintainability

In developing the MiG-29M, much attention was paid to improving the performance of the fighter. A ground crew of only seven is required for its maintenance, preflight preparation takes only 30 minutes and post-flight services; 15-25 minutes. Specific total labor intensity of maintenance of the MiG-29M is 11.5 man-hours to 1 hour raid, mean time to repair uptime:  1.2 hours, the frequency of maintenance work: 200 hours.

Development and testing

"Flying laboratories":

Even before the construction of the first MiG-29M, Mikoyan produced several flying laboratories for development of new weapons and equipment. Two serial MiG-29(9.12) - no "970"(first flight on 24th of December 1984)  and "971"(August 12 1985) were modified to accomodate the R-77/RVV-A.  Tests continued until 1989, at which point no "970" had completed 286 flights and no "971" 204 flights. The latter was also used for flight testing new versions of the K-27 missile with passive- and active radar homing.

For flight testing the N010 radar, a serial MiG-29(9.13) no "916" with a modified forward fuselage, radome and front compartment for equipment(in accordance wtih drawings of the MiG-29M) was used. The first flight of the "916" was made on January 12, 1987 and in it participated in radar tests for the MiG-29M until 1990(last flight on August 16).  In addition, the new radar was also tested on the Tu-134LL flying laboratory .

For the flight test of the RD-33K engine, an early MiG-29(9.12 prototype from 1981) no "921" was converted with the left engine being replaced by the new RD-33K(while the original RD-33  remained on the right hand side) and a new air intake made according to the design of the  MiG-29M. First flight of no "921" with the RD-33K engine was conducted on 27 September 1985. After several flights in November of the same year, no "921" was sent to the factory for modification. Testing of the engine continued until February 26, 1986. In April, the aircraft was equipped with a new FOD protective grille(first flight on April 24, 1986). Later no. "921" was used for fine-tuning the electronic engine management system of the RD-33K. Tests involving no. "921" ended in late 1990 - by then it had completed at total of 164 flights in support of the RD-33K development. In early 1991, testing of the RD-33K engine continued on the MiG-29 no. "1616".

MiG-29M test aircraft;

The first prototype of the MiG-29M received board no"151" (derrived from item 9.15 no 1.)  and was completed in early 1986. The aircraft was moved to the airfield on february 15 and on April 26, test pilot V.E.Menitsky(who after the death of A. Fedotov became chief pilot), conducted the first flight. The aircraft still had the old RD-33 engines, conventional display system with electromechanical gauges, and was not equipped with a fire control system. It was used for testing the flight control system, determining basic aerodynamic characteristics and the characteristics of stability and controllability. Later the aircraft was equipped a WCS and in September 1991 it got N010 radar, optical-location station OLS-M and Kh-29T guided missiles. By June 30, 1992 the aircraft had made 276 flights.

To carry out the program of flight testing and state joint tests MAPA had prepared the initial batch of upgraded fighters (production of new structural elements - in particular the welding of fuel tanks - and final assembly of the aircraft at MIG). The second prototype  - board no "152")  equipped with the RD-33K, N010 radar and information display system with multi-function CRTs took to the air on September 26, 1987. It was used to determine flight performance and characteristics of the [runways with pendants and without them], the characteristics of stability and controllability while launching missiles, refining the power plant and new air intake system, flight control system, fuel system tests, radar, navigation- and electronic display systems. On the whole, the equipment composition of no "152"  already met the technical requirements of the MiG-29M as set by the customer. By April 21, 1992 no. "152" had completed 250 flights.

Testing continued on the third aircraft (no. "153")  focusing on the operation of individual systems and avionics as part of a combined complex. The first flight took place on 7 April 1989. On 23 June of the same year, the aircraft was shown to General Secretary of the USSR  Mikhail Gorbachev at the Kubinka airfield.. By 15 April 1993, no."153" had made 218 flights.

The fourth MiG-29M (board no. "154")  was moved to the airport on May 16, 1990, with the first flight being conducted on July 27. The plane was used for the determination of the basic flight characteristics, test equipment and further refinement of the power plant, as well as to test the stability of the engine during missile launches. By August 28, 1992 it had completed 169 flights.

The fifth sample of the MiG-29M (board no. "155") took to the air before the fourth - it was transported to the airport in February 1990 and the first flight took place on March 13, 1990.  The plane took part in tests to determine the flight characteristics, stability and controllability, assessment of cabin ergonomics, fine-tuning the radar (in Germany, in particular, the terrain mapping mode was studied) including launches of the Kh-31A missile. February 7, 1992 no. "155" flew to the airfield Machulishchy in Belarus to participate in the airshow, organized for representatives of the defense ministries of the CIS countries. By April 28, 1992 it had made 165 flights - after that the aircraft didn't fly until 1 April 1993. Later that year, no. "155" was displayed at Kubinka and Zhukovsky(MAKS-93). By February 1994 the aircraft had made 172 flights.

MiG-29M no. 155 at Machulishchy in 1992:

MiG-29M Matchulishi_92.jpg

The sixth and final MiG-29M test aircraft - no. "156" took to the air for the first time on July 2, 1991. It was used primarily for evaluating the "man-machine" interface and had a redesigned cockpit layout(see cockpit section above). It was later converted with TVC engines and demonstrated extreme agility at airshows as the "MiG-29M OVT".

Epilogue

Pilots experiencing the MiG-29M found it to have very good controllability. Maximum speed of fighter is 2500 km/h (M = 2.35), while flying near the ground - 1500 km/h,. The rate of climb at an altitude of 1000 m - 310 m/s. Service ceiling: 17,000 m. Range without external fuel tanks greater than 2000 km and with three drop tanks (two for 1150 liters and one 1500 l) - 3200 km.

Combat ranges of the aircraft with PTB when conducting:

- air-to air combat: 1250 km
- subsonic interception: 1440 km
- attack of ground targets carrying two "air-to-surface" missiles:  1190 km.

Despite the increase in take-off weight (normal, with missiles: 16800 kg, maximum: 22 300 kg), takeoff and landing characteristics hardly deteriorated - take-off distance was 320-500 m, landing distance with the new parachute installation - about 500 m.

Hope it was worth the wait 🙂

Edited by Seaeagle
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

41 minutes ago, Seaeagle said:

Ok I finally managed to find the time to complete the rewrite. Its not perfect and there are a few passages I couldn't quite desipher, but I am a little hung up at the moment so I don't have time to improve it further. I have also added some pictures and and a little extra info when appropriate(e.g. a fuel comparison between 9.12 and 9.15).

Anyway, here it is:

Hope it was worth the wait 🙂

I don’t even know how to thank you! That’s just about everything I could have wanted on the 9.15. Thank you so much. I hope anyone else interested in this aircraft comes across this 🙂

• Like 2

You are welcome :) .

There were a few extra tidbits I wanted to add - e.g. I remember some information about the new enhanced aerofoil design of the wings, but as you can see, it was not in that article, so I must have read about that elsewhere. I will add it later if I can find it again.

BTW in your opening post, you asked about weight figures and G-limit. 

The weights seem to be practically the same for the MiG-29M and -29K - at least the max. TOW is stated as some 22400 kg for both, while I remember reading that, for the MiG-29K,  the normal TOW is 17700 kg and the dry weight is some 12800 kg.

AFAIK the max G-limit for the MiG-29M is 9, while its 8 for the MiG-29K. The MiG-29K had "bigger wings" - i.e. the outer foldable section is longer(the wingspan grew to 11.99 m and the total wing area to some 42m2), so I guess the lower G-rating of the MiG-29K is due to higher wing loading.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, 13-vszd-dakos said:

Since it's kind of impossible for this to be an official module I hope someone will mod this version, or the K. Such beautiful and underappreciated aircrafts.

There is a 34 page intelligence brief I’m trying to get my hands on that might have some useful information. I’m hope for the possibility of an AI 9.15 coupled with the new General Flight model. It would be a beast as an AI asset.

incidentally their are published papers of the modern Mig-29K 9.41’s digital flight control system. That might be worth looking into.

http://technomag.edu.ru/en/doc/500331.html

• Like 1

On 3/15/2023 at 3:42 PM, 13-vszd-dakos said:

Since it's kind of impossible for this to be an official module I hope someone will mod this version, or the K. Such beautiful and underappreciated aircrafts.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The 9.15 MiG-29M was planned to replaces all the former Su-17M4 and MiG-27M regiments step by step in the mid-90's. 

The first group of pilots was chosen and sent to Lipetsk for the transition, the transition platform was a squadron of 9.13 MiG-29, painted with the greenland camo. All of those 9.13s were new one, because of that, at that time, all single seater East Germany NVA MiG-29 9.12A and all czechoslovak AF MiG-29 9.12A was painted to that camo. It was in around 1989-90. However, no any 9.15 built in serial production, because in 1991, the Sovietunion collapsed. However, the first public appearance of the 9.15 was in the West, 1992 Farnborough, later in this year in Moscow, Mosaeroshow, Zhukovsky and even in the Le Bourget 1993. But in december 1993, when the new goevrment re-calculated the military budget, all MiG project (MiG-29M, MiG-29K, MiG-31M, Buran shuttle) was cancelled, mostly by the underminding work of Mihail Simonov, who was the committe member and the chief designer of the OKB Sukhoi in the same time. 

Unfortunatelly, all of the airplanes above, the MiG-29M for the air force and the export market, the MiG-29K for the Kuznetsov true capabilites, and the MiG-31M for the PVO would be a great success. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1